• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compassion and happiness

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One problem, as I see it, there is no thing or no one that can "make" you happy. Happiness is internal; you're either happy or you're not happy, your choice. However, there are things and people you can be 'happy' about.
When compassion arise within us we do become happy and more happy for others Compassion is toward other beings

BSM1

What? Me worry?
When compassion arise within us we do become happy and more happy for others Compassion is toward other beings

No, we don't. You are either happy or you're not, no matter what the state of the reality you exist in. However, there is a difference between happiness and joy. Compassion may make you more joyous, but your happiness is entirely up to you.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No, we don't. You are either happy or you're not, no matter what the state of the reality you exist in. However, there is a difference between happiness and joy. Compassion may make you more joyous, but your happiness is entirely up to you.
When letting go of the attachments to happy or sad compassion will arise because one see the tryth behind the situation one experiences, Yes it is a personal experience but example when we see someone else suffering, we want to ehelp the,m, even it might set our self in a difficult situation, it means we are not seeing the ego but the co-existance of all beings

BSM1

What? Me worry?
When letting go of the attachments to happy or sad compassion will arise because one see the tryth behind the situation one experiences, Yes it is a personal experience but example when we see someone else suffering, we want to ehelp the,m, even it might set our self in a difficult situation, it means we are not seeing the ego but the co-existance of all beings

And if they do not want your help are you going to let that destroy your happiness?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It would seem that this claims just the opposite. Nevertheless, the difference between happiness and joy seems worth contemplating.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
No of course not, if they say they do not need help, that is up to them, we should never push our own wish upon others

BTW, compassion is also self-generated; you're either compassionate or you're not. In the above scenario, you were either compassionate or not before you found yourself in a situation that begged for compassion. If the person was non-receptive to your offer of compassion, then I doubt if you would become less compassionate. By the same token, if your compassion was accepted, then I don't feel you would become more compassionate. I think The Buddha would warn you about putting to much credence in New Age catchphrases and innuendo that beckon you to look outside yourself for true answers. But that's just my humble opinion. I also believe that this is what Yeshua was teaching when he mentioned that the Kingdom of God is within you.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It would seem that this claims just the opposite. Nevertheless, the difference between happiness and joy seems worth contemplating.

With all due respect, they got it backwards. You can be happy without being joyous. You can find yourself happy in the most mundane situation, but to be joyous about the mundane would take a great deal of effort, imho.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
BTW, compassion is also self-generated; you're either compassionate or you're not. In the above scenario, you were either compassionate or not before you found yourself in a situation that begged for compassion. If the person was non-receptive to your offer of compassion, then I doubt if you would become less compassionate. By the same token, if your compassion was accepted, then I don't feel you would become more compassionate. I think The Buddha would warn you about putting to much credence in New Age catchphrases and innuendo that beckon you to look outside yourself for true answers. But that's just my humble opinion. I also believe that this is what Yeshua was teaching when he mentioned that the Kingdom of God is within you.
Yes compassion arise from within, but to help others mean we Also look in to the physical world :) but the difference is if one are attached or not to the physical world. Wisdom arise from within

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Yes compassion arise from within, but to help others mean we Also look in to the physical world :) but the difference is if one are attached or not to the physical world. Wisdom arise from within

Compassion is not something that can be turned off and on at will. But, granted, we are given the opportunities to be compassionate.