• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comparing Biblical/Religious Prophecies with History

InvestigateTruth

According to history, some centuries after Christ, Jews became scattered and captives in various countries, until our time, when they already returned to the Land of Israel.

The scathering and returning of Israelites were also prophecied in Scriptures. For example:

"Therefore say: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will gather you from the nations and bring you back from the countries where you have been scattered, and I will give you back the land of Israel again.'. Ezekiel 11:17

"I will surely gather them from all the lands where I banish them in my furious anger and great wrath; I will bring them back to this place and let them live in safety. …….I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me" Jerm 32:37-40

"This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: "When I bring them back from captivity, the people in the land of Judah and in its towns will once again use these words: 'The LORD bless you, you prosperous city, you sacred mountain…..The days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.” Jerm. 31:23-31

we see a match between Biblical Prophecies regarding scattering and returning.

Now the question is, when and why exactly did the process of returning begin?

We need to search in history to find answer!

From Wikipedia , the return was initiated in year 1844, when the Ottoman Empire signed an edict of tolerance which:
“….infers religious tolerance through ending executions for apostasy for Jews that seemed to convert making their social situation easier while actually keeping their personal and group identity in their Judaic religion. Jerusalem has had the largest Jewish population in Palestine in recent centuries since about 1844…”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_of_Toleration_1844

We also see that, the Bible also prophecied that the Return will be when a New Covenant is established from God.

From Histrorical point of View, the Bab made a new covenant in year 1844.

So far this was one part of the story.

Now lets look at another part, from Christian Testament Prophecies from chapter of Revelation:

“I was given a reed like a measuring rod and was told, "Go and measure the temple of God and the altar, with its worshipers. But exclude the outer court do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles. They will trample on the holy city for 42 months”. Revelation 11:1-2

So, according to this prophecy, the holy city, which is Jerusalem will be given to Gentiles according to the Will of God. The Gentiles are basically the non Jews, according to many Bible scholars.

Now there is also a match in the history for this.

From Wikipedia:

“The Islamization of Jerusalem began in the first year A.H. (623 CE), when Muslims were instructed to face the city while performing their daily prostrations and, according to Muslim religious tradition, Muhammad's night journey and ascension to heaven took place”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem

So, the first year in Islamic Calendar is a beginning of period that the Holy city was given to Arabs in a Religious Sense.

But for how long was it given to them? The Bible says 42 months.

Lets see if history and religion can match here.
42 months is 1260 days, and in Bible, each prophetic day is 1 year.

That would be 1260 years.

Now historically, the Bab declared that Islam period has ended and He has a new covenant. He made this declaration precisely 1260 years after the first year of Islamization of Holy Land .

It was precisely in the same year, that Also the Edict of tolerance was signed and the Jews begin to return to holy land.

Just some historical facts.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
the Bab declared that Islam period has ended and He has a new covenant.
Now that is quite a strong statement, right or wrong. This gets into what I was telling you in our previous conversation. The Baha'i Faith was not intended to be just another religion for those so inclined (as it is currently presented in the western world) but it is to be the dominant world religion replacing Islam, Christianity, etc..

I am a former Baha'i (but not anti-Baha'i) from thirty-some years ago and this was more common knowledge at the time, but I see how the focus has changed a little to seem more reasonable at first to people raised in the western world.

But anyway, I like Baha'i people!

InvestigateTruth

Now that is quite a strong statement, right or wrong. This gets into what I was telling you in our previous conversation. The Baha'i Faith was not intended to be just another religion for those so inclined (as it is currently presented in the western world) but it is to be the dominant world religion replacing Islam, Christianity, etc..

I am a former Baha'i (but not anti-Baha'i) from thirty-some years ago and this was more common knowledge at the time, but I see how the focus has changed a little to seem more reasonable at first to people raised in the western world.

But anyway, I like Baha'i people!

From a Religious Prophecy point of view, the Bab and Bahaullah Proclamed they are the Promised Ones prophecied in Religious Scriptures.

If we compare, prophecies regarding Qaim or Mahdi in Islam, we see in their Prophecies, there are indications that when Mahdi comes, most people deny Him. He would be imprisoned, and in Mountains will be treated badly. All these happend to the Bab and Bahaullah.
Bahaullah also wrote, for a long time the world will go through difficulties, untill the People choose to enter the Faith. In islamic prophecies, also there is an allusion to 309 years, which can be seen as a period which will take for the Muslims recognize their Mahdi.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The prophecies of Nostradamus can be interpreted to foretell the future, arguably better than the Bible, etc.
Does that make him a prophet of God?

InvestigateTruth

The prophecies of Nostradamus can be interpreted to foretell the future, arguably better than the Bible, etc.
Does that make him a prophet of God?
In Bahai view, the Prophets are sent to guide humanity to the right Path, and to Test humanity, so each person may be given reward according to their actions, hereafter. They also prophecy of future events and fulfill prophecies made regarding themselves by previous Prophets.

InvestigateTruth

Here is the same promise from Quran:

"Then We said to the Children of Israel, Dwell in the land. When the promise of the Last Day shall come to pass, We will bring you all together."
Quran 17:104

To me, It basically says, when you see the Jews returned to the their Land, know that the Promiss of Last Day has come to pass.
For the fact, when the Bab appeared, He anounced that the Last Day, or Day of Resurrection has come.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
"I will surely gather them from all the lands where I banish them in my furious anger and great wrath; I will bring them back to this place and let them live in safety. …….I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me" Jerm 32:37-40
... and the "safety" is where?

InvestigateTruth

... and the "safety" is where?
Hello,

Throughout the Bible that word has been translated either as securely or safely.

http://biblehub.com/hebrew/lavetach_983.htm

If we say, the intention of the prophecy is to say, that the Jews will dwell in Israel securely, this is fulfilled. In a sense that they do not feel, anyone can cause them to Leave and go on exile again. The Jews has been scattered and were on exile for centuries, and finally they dwelled in Israel securely.

The Yonge literal Translation actually translates it as Confidently:

Lo, I am gathering them out of all the lands whither I have driven them in Mine anger, and in My fury, and in great wrath, and I have brought them back unto this place, and have caused them to dwell confidently

Last edited:

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Oh, I see, any time you're called on a post you offer up a different translation ... why didn't I think of that?

InvestigateTruth

This verse of Bible is in confirmation of the historical events that happend to Jerusalem:

"When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city.
For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.” Luke 21:20- 24

What the above verses had predicted was, after rejection and crucification of Christ, there will be a time of punishement. It is giving signs, that when they see the city is surrounded by armies, it is time to flee from the city.

historically This happend some years after Christ.

Then it says

Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.”

The times of fulfillment of Gentiles, was the expiration of 1260 years, which occured in year 1844.