• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common misconceptions about the big bang

Thales of Ga.

Skeptic Griggsy
It is either the Hartle-Hawkings theory that the cosmos just is or one of the bounce or bud theories. Anyway, either shows natural causes at work, no personal first cause.

cbenkman

i disagree with most of what has been said about boundlessness as long as we exist we are the center point and all that stuff about a rockett taking off and if it goes long enough it will bo right back to where it began its mission, hogwash i say lol curving space or not there still has to be someting on the other side whether its just more space or whatever, and as far as the big bang theory i do agree everything is still moving away but eventually the gravity from the stars and planets before the outer stars and planets will take hold and eventually they all will fall back upon themselves and then the big bang will start over again and again and again, its not that hard of an event to see i dont think, and because our math is not completely accurate it leaves much room for mistaken ideas as the problems get more and more complicated. but like everything its things like this which makes you go hummmmm lol

cbenkman

:rainbow1: i disagree with most of what has been said about boundlessness as long as we exist we are the center point and all that stuff about a rockett taking off and if it goes long enough it will bo right back to where it began its mission, hogwash i say lol curving space or not there still has to be someting on the other side whether its just more space or whatever, and as far as the big bang theory i do agree everything is still moving away but eventually the gravity from the stars and planets before the outer stars and planets will take hold and eventually they all will fall back upon themselves and then the big bang will start over again and again and again, its not that hard of an event to see i dont think, and because our math is not completely accurate it leaves much room for mistaken ideas as the problems get more and more complicated. but like everything its things like this which makes you go hummmmm lol

cbenkman

i disagree with most of what has been said about boundlessness as long as we exist we are the center point and all that stuff about a rockett taking off and if it goes long enough it will bo right back to where it began its mission, hogwash i say lol curving space or not there still has to be someting on the other side whether its just more space or whatever, and as far as the big bang theory i do agree everything is still moving away but eventually the gravity from the stars and planets before the outer stars and planets will take hold and eventually they all will fall back upon themselves and then the big bang will start over again and again and again, its not that hard of an event to see i dont think, and because our math is not completely accurate it leaves much room for mistaken ideas as the problems get more and more complicated. but like everything its things like this which makes you go hummmmm lol

logician

Without matter and energy "space" does not exist and is not defined, which is why there is nothing on the "outside" of the universe. You can't leave the universe because eerything in it is gravitationally bound together, and the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light. One other interesteing tidbit is that since photons move at the speed of light, time does not exist for them. From the photon's point of view, it arrives instantaneously at its destination. To an outside observer, of course, light moves at 186,000 miles/sec.

cbenkman

let me ask you isn't nothingness considered space and nothingness will exist, it always has and always will, and just becuase objects may stop in our univers nothingness will continue for ever. if it can be any other way please explain it to me, it doesn't matter if space curves or not which is just a theory anyway, and the only thing different between our universe and nothingness is gasses stars and planets, take away those and we are back to nothingness

kmkemp

let me ask you isn't nothingness considered space and nothingness will exist, it always has and always will, and just becuase objects may stop in our univers nothingness will continue for ever. if it can be any other way please explain it to me, it doesn't matter if space curves or not which is just a theory anyway, and the only thing different between our universe and nothingness is gasses stars and planets, take away those and we are back to nothingness

Nothingness and empty space are totally different concepts. It will be hard to get your head around since we have never experienced nothingness.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This is how 'Nasadeeya Sukta' of the Rig-Veda describes it:

'There was neither non-existence nor existence then.
There was neither the realm of space nor the sky which is beyond.
What stirred? Where? In whose protection?
Was there water, bottlemlessly deep?

There was neither death nor immortality then.
There was no distinguishing sign of night nor of day.
That One breathed, windless, by its own impulse.
Other than that there was nothing beyond.

Darkness was hidden by darkness in the beginning,
with no distinguishing sign, all this was water.
The life force that was covered with emptiness,
that One arose through the power of heat.

Desire came upon that One in the beginning,
that was the first seed of mind.
Poets seeking in their heart with wisdom
found the bond of existence and non-existence.'

Thales of Ga.

Skeptic Griggsy
Nothingness means nothing- no meaning. There is the void as I fathom matters.
Existence,being all there is, has no outside support: gee , no Sky Pappy!

yportne

Until physics can unify quantum mechanics (micro) with general relativity, gravity (macro) . our understanding of reality (universe) will be limited.Our minds (consciousness) are within this universe not outside it, therefore it is an asymptotic endeavor. "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."- Charles Darwin

something I have never understood, is how they can say that something (say, an exploding sun) is "happening right now" billions of light years away. didn't that sun explode billions of years ago?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Until physics can unify quantum mechanics (micro) with general relativity, gravity (macro) . our understanding of reality (universe) will be limited.Our minds (consciousness) are within this universe not outside it, therefore it is an asymptotic endeavor.
That's a common misconception, too.

camanintx

something I have never understood, is how they can say that something (say, an exploding sun) is "happening right now" billions of light years away. didn't that sun explode billions of years ago?

Do you have an example of who "they" are and where they are saying this?

rocketman

Out there...
Anyone know of any blue shift stars or galaxies or only yellow,orange and red shift.
Why's that anyway?

Barnard's star has a tiny amount of blueshift. The Andromeda galaxy is also moving towards us and therefore exhibits some blueshifting of arriving light.

nutshell

For starters, the big bang is NOT...

1) ...'over'. It's still happening, right now. Space is expanding as we speak, causing the distances between galaxies to increase.

3) ...going to slow down, turn into a 'big crunch', and cause another big bang. This theory has been thrown out due to recent studies which show that the expansion of space is accelerating. The universe will never (as far as we can tell) collapse back in on itself.

Now, here's what the big bang IS:

1) The big bang is directly observable. We can see it happening, right now. In any direction we look, we can see galaxies receeding from us.

I have to disagree with the certainty by which you make the above claims.

What is observable to use is only observable because of light. It takes time (lightyears) for what we are observing to reach us. In many ways, we are looking into the pasts of these galaxies. Because we are looking at the past, we have no way (currently) of knowing whether the galaxies are still expanding right now.

Why's that anyway?

Barnard's star has a tiny amount of blueshift. The Andromeda galaxy is also moving towards us and therefore exhibits some blueshifting of arriving light.

So any direction we look we will see everything receding from us, so we are at the
center of the universe.