• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming out as a theist?

sugnim

I think I may be becoming, or realizing that I am a theist. I have been an atheist for my entire adult life, so this developing feeling/understanding is new to me. But, I feel as though suddenly the spiritual beliefs I've held all along can somehow now be described as "God." I don't mean a man in the sky, or any of the dieties as have been described by the major religions, but something that surpasses all of that, something all-encompassing and beyond comprehension. Something that embraces all understandings, even atheism; and something that embraces all walks of life, matter, and time. Something that is a part of all of us, even me.

This feels like a coming out of sorts for me. I'm not sure how to describe myself, how to communicate this to others. And, I worry a bit that it may be a fleeting feeling, and so I don't want to speak up about it too soon, only to later have to change or correct what I said.

For now, this developing, new understanding feels really good and peaceful. I hope it can stay.

Axe Elf

Prophet
I don't mean a man in the sky, or any of the dieties as have been described by the major religions, but something that surpasses all of that, something all-encompassing and beyond comprehension. Something that embraces all understandings, even atheism; and something that embraces all walks of life, matter, and time. Something that is a part of all of us, even me.

When you get past all the anthropomorphism and various names for the divine, that's really the important part of God anyway.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I may be becoming, or realizing that I am a theist. I have been an atheist for my entire adult life, so this developing feeling/understanding is new to me. But, I feel as though suddenly the spiritual beliefs I've held all along can somehow now be described as "God." I don't mean a man in the sky, or any of the dieties as have been described by the major religions, but something that surpasses all of that, something all-encompassing and beyond comprehension. Something that embraces all understandings, even atheism; and something that embraces all walks of life, matter, and time. Something that is a part of all of us, even me.

This feels like a coming out of sorts for me. I'm not sure how to describe myself, how to communicate this to others. And, I worry a bit that it may be a fleeting feeling, and so I don't want to speak up about it too soon, only to later have to change or correct what I said.

For now, this developing, new understanding feels really good and peaceful. I hope it can stay.

Meh, don't worry about having to change or correct yourself later.
You don't appear to be making specific dogmatic claims, so what's the harm in just letting yourself feel for a while.
Analyse later.

Enjoy!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

You write about a world I entered and try every day to live in. Words creak and fail to adequately describe this reality. The initial surge of wonder and joy may pass, but the journey draws me on and on.

Song and poetry can approach it. I think many of the songs of Denean are from this realm such as:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A few years ago I was inspired for a time to write. This poem came to my mind as I read your OP:

My heart beats
a new rhythm.
My breath sings
a new melody.

I walk solemnly, joyously,
out of ancient dank cave
into spring's promise.

Butterflies and flowers
fill the air with
beauty and perfume.

Angels dance,
unicorns prance
and everywhere
lovers embrace.

My tears are my
icy self dissolving.

Streams of ascendant joy
rise from my heart
to light realms.

Warm light pours
through me
into the world
melting ancient ice.

A web of light
links us in gentle
traceries
heart to heart.

Only light is real.
All is light.
Light upon light.

Words should always fail to describe what you're feeling. The blessing is everything. If you feel the need to explain, that is courteous of you to share, but don't attempt. It wouldn't be a God given blessing if humans could bestow it upon others with their languages. I'm always so happy to hear when someone feels the presence. Take care.

PureX

Veteran Member

"The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things.

Free from desire, you realize the mystery.
Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations." - from the Tao Te Ching

"God" is not a religious ideology, or an image created and carried in one's mind. "God" is the great mystery source, sustenance, and purpose of all that is. This is not something we can understand, or capture with our minds. But it is something we can intuit, and sense, and even commiserate with if we are quiet, and open: not drowned in the noise of our own fears and desires.