• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbine - 7 Years Ago Today

Bishka

Veteran Member
Seven years ago today, one of the worst US school shootings happened in Littleton, Colorado.

:flower: :flower:

randb

The main problem is that its easy to acquire a gun!!!!! Get rid of the guns, and help reduce violence!! There's no point in mourning their deaths. We brought this upon ourselves!!!

Bishka

Veteran Member
randb said:
The main problem is that its easy to acquire a gun!!!!! Get rid of the guns, and help reduce violence!! There's no point in mourning their deaths. We brought this upon ourselves!!!

Not getting rid of guns is going to help this. What needs to be helped is stricter gun control laws and people who actually follow the rules and not sell guns to underage people and not have parents who will go out and buy their children weapons.

robtex

Veteran Member
I am woefully ignorant of the happenings after Columbine and was wondering who knew the motive or reasoning? I watched the Michel Moore movie, "Bowling for Columbine" and he was playing a, I think it was a 911 call, where the father of one of the boys call, BEFORE THE SHOOTERS WERE IDENTIFIED BY POLICE, and informed them he thought his boys was one of them.

That just floored me. What it meant to me is that the dad of one of the killers knew what his kid was "up to", collecting guns and what not before the shooting day, and just went on with his daily life as if nothing was happening.

footnote:
http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com/

randb

beckysoup61 said:
Not getting rid of guns is going to help this. What needs to be helped is stricter gun control laws and people who actually follow the rules and not sell guns to underage people and not have parents who will go out and buy their children weapons.

I still don't understand why a civilian would need a gun.... For self-defense, a tranquilizer would work pretty good. So, we really don't need guns. Most gun crimes are committed by Adults!!!

Bishka

Veteran Member
randb said:
I still don't understand why a civilian would need a gun.... For self-defense, a tranquilizer would work pretty good. So, we really don't need guns. Most gun crimes are committed by Adults!!!

You'd be surprised. When I was in 7th grade, I saw guns in peoples backpacks. I saw people bring knives and weapons to school.

In high school, I would bring a pocket knife with me. You'd be surprised how many underage people committ crimes and things like that, but this thread isn't about that. It's about remembering columbine.

:flower:

FFH

Veteran Member
One of the 12 students slain at Columbine high school.

lake.jpg
RachelFish.jpg

Excerpt From Rachel Joy Scott's Journal

I like vintage clothes and vanilla candles, cool night air, and my dog’s snowy white fur. My room stays messy despite my best efforts to keep it clean. And no matter how hard I try to keep things picked up, clothes literally disappear into the black hole under my bed.

I like my brothers’ quirks, Craig’s “to do” lists, and my sister’s sense of humor. I like hanging out with my friends and making funny faces. I like driving anywhere, getting a new CD, making my mom laugh, and realizing the first line of a poem is running through my mind.

I don’t like designer clothes, cooked carrots, headaches, itty-bitty type in textbook footnotes, burnt marshmallows, and the “pretty but dumb” stigma for women. I can’t stand being late, music playing in doctors’ offices, or feeling behind in homework.

And I know exactly what I want to be when I grow up—most days anyway. I want to be famous. I want people all over the world to know me. The only question is how I’m going to be famous.

Sometimes I wish I could live five different lives. In the first life I’d be an actress. Second, I’d be an incredibly talented writer. Third, I’d go for being a great American playwright. Fourth, I’d want to be the successor to Amy Grant, a Christian pop star—diva and songwriter all in one. But somewhere in there I also want to be an American missionary, living someplace exotic like Albert Schweitzer did.

I can’t see myself getting married. Can’t see myself ever “settling down.” Can’t see myself ever being pregnant and having babies.

I don’t know. It’s just a feeling I have, deep down inside me. I have a funny feeling (not funny like “ha ha,” but funny like weird), a kind of inner sense that my life is going to be different, unusual, or that I’m going to do something important. Sometimes I feel like that funny feeling comes from God. Other times, I don’t know. I just think I’m strange. But who knows? I guess the answer to that is—only God.

But back to wanting to be an actress, a writer, a songwriter, a missionary, and all the other stuff I daydream about . . . I guess if I want to do all of those things, that means I don’t really know what I want to do. But I know I want to live big. I want to laugh big. I want to love big. I want life to know I was here. Leave my mark. And somehow make a difference in the process.

I think about the future a lot. Daydream. Imagine. Hope. Wishful thinking. I think those are all different kinds of prayer, at least for me. Writing to God in my journal is praying. And when I’m daydreaming, writing poems, journaling, or just imagining what might be, I don’t think small, I don’t wish small, I don’t think “ordinary.” I like to think big, dream big, live big.

Now that I think about it, I don’t know exactly what I want to do when I grow up, but I know what I want to be.

I want to be one who speaks truthfully, no matter what the cost. I want to be one who acts with tolerance, compassion, and love as my top three guides for any decision I make.

I want to be one who follows my heart and listens for God in the smallest of moments and biggest of choices.

I want to be one who is grace-full and gratitude-filled. I want to be one who sees in every day what I have and all I’ve been given rather than be blinded by what I don’t have.

I want to be one who trusts that God is enough—and God has made me enough. Good enough, smart enough, strong enough for whatever God calls me to be.

I want to open my arms wide and embrace life in all of its goodness and all of its badness because I believe the good outweighs the bad—for always and ever.

I want to remember to breathe deeply and sing loudly and love passionately and believe absolutely and see fully what’s really important.

And I think I’ll leave the particulars of how and when and where I’m going to be and do all of that to God—I think God is big enough to handle it all.

What are your dreams? If you could live five lives, what would they be and why?

When you’re faced with decisions about your future, when you think about your hopes and dreams, what does the phrase “choose life” mean to you? In what ways can you “choose life” in your life right now? What is “life giving” to you and what is “life taking”? What choices make you feel good about being you? What choices make you feel bad?

rjs_teen_12.jpg

From the top going clockwise:

I will not be labled as average.
I am a warrior for Christ.
You just may start a chain reaction.
I want you to use me to reach the unreached.

www.RachelScott.ca
www.RachelJoyScott.com

Bishka

Veteran Member
FFH, why don't we recognize everybody and not just one girl?

There were several LDS students there too, they actually have just recently put out a book which I read a couple of weeks ago. I think it's called

"Remembering Columbine"

It has a blue cover with a flower on it.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Cassie Rene Bernall -- 18 years old
Born-again Christian as of 1997, and was active in church youth programs and Bible study groups. Her parents called her "Bunny Rabbit" and said she loved to go rock climbing in Breckinridge. She was one of the girls asked by the gunmen if she believed in God. She was shot in the head and hand when she answered "yes", something that made her a martyr to the Christian cause. She died in the library. Her mother said she couldn't think of a more honorable way to die than the way Cassie was taken. But, "I keep thinking about the things I need to do for Cassie," Cassie's mom told Oprah in 1999. "And then I catch myself... I don't need to do that. The Lord is taking care of those mom things I used to do."

Cassie was buried in a white coffin that attendees at her funeral (her pastor called in a marriage to Christ) could sign. Her mom wrote: "Bunny Rabbit, my friend, my buddy, my daughter, my mentor. I will love you and miss you forever. I promise to take good care of your kitty. I know that Jesus is elated to have you in His presence... Your courage and commitment to Christ have gained you a special place in heaven, and I am proud to call you my daughter. I love you so much, Mom."

http://columbine.free2host.net/victim/memoriam.html

Bishka

Veteran Member
Steven Robert Curnow -- 14 years old
Dreamed of being a Navy top gun pilot. He was very close with his mom Susan. He loved soccer and worked part-time as a referee and his dad coached the soccer team (Blue Devils of the Colorado Rush) he played on; his entire team attended his funeral. "My favorite place is the soccer field," Steve wrote in an autobiography shortly before his death, "Because I am feared as a player and respected as a ref. I take all my anxiety on the ball and the whistle, and it is good exercise."

Remembered as a huge fan, he watched the Star Wars movies so many times he could recite the dialogue along with the actors. Science fiction fans nationwide put together a go-to-Star-Wars memorial day in his honor when Phantom Menace premiered in theaters May 19th, 1999. He had been anxiously awaiting its release. He was the youngest victim of the Columbine massacre; he was shot in the neck and died in the library.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Corey Tyler DePooter -- 17 years old
Former wrestler who loved to golf, hunt and fish. He's described as an all-American kid who put schoolwork above everything else. He loved wrestling, golf and in-line skating, but fishing was his passion. A friend Corey used to fish with said: "It was the times we didn't do well that his personality really shined." Another friend said of him: "When you're going fishing or camping, I know he's going to be there, watching and making sure you're doing everything right.

His friend Austin Eubanks (who was also injured at Columbine) said, "People said he was the kind of guy people like to be around. I know I sure did. Corey was always able to pick our spirits up in a gloomy situation." He died in the library from multiple gunshot wounds to the neck and chest.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Kelly Ann Fleming -- 16 years old
Moved to Littleton from Phoenix, Arizona a little over a year before the shooting. She was a shy and creative girl who loved Halloween and was an aspiring songwriter and author who wrote many poems and short stories based on her life experiences. Her mother remembered Kelly coming home from school 2 months before the shooting, saying: "I'm not shy any more." She was shot in the library and was found next to Lauren Townsend. Her father said: "Here's one of the real leaders of the school, and our Kelly was next to someone like that. I'm sure Lauren took care of Kelly. She wasn't alone."

She died from a shotgun blast to the lower back. Her funeral was held along with Daniel Mauser's at the St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church. She was buried with two teddy bears in her arms.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Matthew Joseph Kechter -- 16 years old
Played on both the offensive and defensive lines of the football team. He was a weight lifter and an 'A' student. He's remembered for his ready laugh. The University of Colorado (where Matt had planned to attend) sent his younger brother Adam one of their jerseys bearing Matt's name and the number he wore (70) as part of Columbine's football team. He had been studying in the library with friend Isaiah Shoels and was shot in the chest when he tried to reach friends hiding in an adjacent video room. He died in the library.