• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clergy Project

robtex

Veteran Member
Wow Fatmop good find. Good to not feel so alone in the opposition of ID being in public schools.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Is there a similar set of signatures voting the other way.
It would be nice to know their religious spread.

Terry__________________________
Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.

cmotdibbler

Some of the fundy-types in our town are up in arms that a local pastor signed this petition. What has the fundies upset is that the pastor listed not only his church affiliation but also his title as "Director for Student Assessment" for the same school district (which he is).

I don't understand why they are so upset. Comments?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
About 240 of those signatures are Unitarian Universalists ministers (yes, I went through and counted them). I doesn't surprise me they would hold this view, in fact I'd be shocked if they didn't. I am a little surprised they signed the letter when it states, "We the undersigned, Christian clergy...," but I'm glad they did.

Fatmop

I don't understand why they are so upset. Comments?
That would have to do with their way of viewing the world. Some are genuinely concerned that children are going to hell, and if they truly believe that Darwin was wrong or that evolution promotes atheism, then they're going to want ID taught in schools. For a pastor to go against that would be considered blasphemous by them.

That said, some are only interested in power. They want all the Christians to toe the conservative party line, and it's a shock to see those liberal "Darwinists" sapping their power base.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Shouldn't all theories be presented? Religious or not, people believe things about the way we were created, so all should be presented, not as truth, but as an option. At public schools anyhow. If you want your child to have a belief, you should teach it to them yourself. Or you can enroll them in private schools which hold your beliefs.

I wonder if there are any atheist schools... *goes into research*

*~Lo

Fatmop

Shouldn't all theories be presented? Religious or not, people believe things about the way we were created, so all should be presented, not as truth, but as an option. At public schools anyhow. If you want your child to have a belief, you should teach it to them yourself. Or you can enroll them in private schools which hold your beliefs.
I agree that they should. It's nice to learn about different cultures, and I think I got a fair bit of exposure to them during my World and European History classes.

The fundies might give you lip service and agree, but when it comes to actually teaching against evolution, they aren't going to be quoting Hindu texts.