• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleansing Rituals, Laying on of Hands

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hindu cleaning rituals are very detailed, but they do not mean that the worshiper will acquire any power. They are like warming up for an exercise.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Cleansing rituals are very detailed in Hinduism but they do not give any power to the worshiper.
They start with cleaning the ground with water of River Ganges. In case there is no stone or tile floor, then making one with soil and cow dung.
Then drawing the auspicious symbols of Hinduism on the ground, Om, mark of the Female Supreme, Shakti yantra, which is like the Star of David, Swastika and Kumbha, a pitcher with mango leaves and a unhusked coconut at the top.
Then describing three generations of the person who is conducting the ritual, the purpose for which the ritual is being conducted and same for the priest who would help in the performance of the ritual.
Then giving the coordinates of the lace where the ritual is being conducted, continent, country, city.
Then giving the time and lunar date by two calendars, usually Vikram and the eonic calendar, Kaliyuga, and the position of zodiac and asterisms. Then symbolic cleaning the individual arts of the body, heart and mind.
Then asking the permission of the protector of the region, Kshetrapala.
Then invoking Lord Ganesha to let the ritual be completed without any hindrance.
Then each major God and Goddess is invoked and welcomed in at least five step. Panchopachar Pooja. Fragrance, flowers, incense, lamp, and offerings of fruits and sweets.
Then starts the actual ritual and requests.
After the ritual is over, the Gods and Goddesses as guests are affectionately thanked and bid goodbye.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
images

Hebrews 6:1–2 — The New International Version (NIV)
1 Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, 2 instruction about cleansing rites, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.

Resurrection of the dead and eternal judgement, are fairly well known.

Instructions about cleansing rites and the laying on of hands.
Where, what are these instructions?

Were these written somewhere or was this verbal instruction passed from Apostle to disciple?

FYI, I have heard that the laying on of hands was necessary for the transfer of the Holy Spirit.

Who wrote Hebrews?

Clara Tea

images

1 Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, 2 instruction about cleansing rites, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.

Were these written somewhere or was this verbal instruction passed from Apostle to disciple?

FYI, I have heard that the laying on of hands was necessary for the transfer of the Holy Spirit.

From Jewish dietary laws, we understand that they were aware that certain foods were harmful (shellfish, especially certain times of the year, and pork, because pigs eat anything and get diseases very similar to their close relatives, humans). Jews don't allow just anyone to come into a kitchen. They have to be ritually cleansed and inspected to make sure that they are clean. The food has to be prepared in specific ways to make sure that it is clean, and the kitchen must be inspected and blessed by a Rabbi.

Is all of this about germs? Yes, but the ancient Jews didn't know about germs, but they knew what worked.

Apparently they associated cleanliness with health. . . and they were right.

Could that be the basis of baptism?

Back then, in the desert, people might clean with sand to get the sweat a bit cleaner on their bodies. So, getting into a river might be a much more effective way of getting germ-free. Plagues were going around (and leprosy).

It would seem to me that the laying on of hands might spread germs. However, if someone has their face washed in a river by someone's hands, that might be better than not bathing at all.

Clara Tea

Cleansing rituals are very detailed in Hinduism but they do not give any power to the worshiper.
They start with cleaning the ground with water of River Ganges. In case there is no stone or tile floor, then making one with soil and cow dung.
Then drawing the auspicious symbols of Hinduism on the ground, Om, mark of the Female Supreme, Shakti yantra, which is like the Star of David, Swastika and Kumbha, a pitcher with mango leaves and a unhusked coconut at the top.
Then describing three generations of the person who is conducting the ritual, the purpose for which the ritual is being conducted and same for the priest who would help in the performance of the ritual.
Then giving the coordinates of the lace where the ritual is being conducted, continent, country, city.
Then giving the time and lunar date by two calendars, usually Vikram and the eonic calendar, Kaliyuga, and the position of zodiac and asterisms. Then symbolic cleaning the individual arts of the body, heart and mind.
Then asking the permission of the protector of the region, Kshetrapala.
Then invoking Lord Ganesha to let the ritual be completed without any hindrance.
Then each major God and Goddess is invoked and welcomed in at least five step. Panchopachar Pooja. Fragrance, flowers, incense, lamp, and offerings of fruits and sweets.
Then starts the actual ritual and requests.
After the ritual is over, the Gods and Goddesses as guests are affectionately thanked and bid goodbye.

In modern times, most rivers of the world are terribly polluted, and probably don't offer the same cleansing that they once did.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In modern times, most rivers of the world are terribly polluted, and probably don't offer the same cleansing that they once did.
That is true, but traditions dont change easily. River Ganges is OK up to Rishikesh or Haridwar. Beyond that it is polluted. We are trying to clean the rivers. Once I got Ganges water right from the glacier at Gaumukh, Lit. Mouth of the Cow, that was as pure as it could be. :)

Muffled

Jesus in me
images

I believe I received the Holy Spirit without out it but it helped me to speak in tongues.

Muffled

Jesus in me
You omit Hebrews 6:3 which gives an answer

I have heard that physically touching someone for the sake of healing has spiritual meaning rather than physically healing someone.
that it should be taken as gesture.

I believe it is always God who heals but he likes to bring people together to do it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
faith-healer-be-healed.gif

It makes me think of the faith healers. Those that claim they can heal physical afflictions through touch.
Without specific information, these ideas are interpreted different ways.

People claim powers given to them by their faith. How can we judge the truth?

I believe God works in mysterious ways but no doubt He can do it by contact or by the faith of the believer. If someone has a gift, that does not necessarily means he controls it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe I received the Holy Spirit without out it but it helped me to speak in tongues.

I've spoken in tongues, which is an interesting experience. Personally, I think there is a physiological explanation for.
Although I can understand why such an experience would be convincing.