• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Circumcision without consent. Is it wrong?

Is it wrong to circumcise a baby who cannot consent?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Only Jewish people should be able to

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Idk yo

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sometimes not far from the truth!

Indeed. As religious ritual is often full of symbolic acts and objects, why not have a symbolic circumcision ritual. The rabbi could draw a line around the base of the foreskin with a special pen, and when they reach 16, they can decide if they want to go the whole hog.
Seems like the perfect compromise.
It could even become a fashion trend. If someone told me 20 years ago that putting ever larger hoops in a hole in one's ear permanently stretching the cartilage would become a "thing" I would have doubted it. Or that many millions of people would opt for a permanent picture being drawn on one's skin with countless at least somewhat painful shallow injections of ink, and especially by woman when I was twenty I would have laughed. People will put up with quite a bit of pain for a passion.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You're being deliberately obtuse i assume, I'm not sure what you think such idiocy achieves, but if you think it strengthens your argument anymore than the ludicrous hyperbole then you've not thought it through.

A termination involves an embryo, blastocyst or foetus, never a baby or a child, your claim is ludicrously dishonest hyperbole, emotional rhetoric is not sound argument.
Hogwash. We've already established that many abortions involve babies that could be born alive.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
To kill her baby as it's being born?

It's not a baby, it's an insentient embryo, blastocyst or foetus, and a termination is never undertaken during birth, what a spectacularly stupid thing to claim.

For convenience sake?

Straw man fallacy.

Why should anyone have that right?

You have bodily autonomy don't you? Why should you have the right to take that away from women?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Hogwash. We've already established that many abortions involve babies that could be born alive.

It isn't a baby until after the birth, a baby is a very young child, it is sentient, and can experience both physical and emotional pain. As for late term abortions these are certainly not the norm, and I am all for making abortions and medical advice as freely available as possible to avoid this.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Because life is sacred and should be preserved whenever possible.

if its sacred why does the biblical deity relentlessly commit indiscriminate murder? Even were I to accept this woolly vapid sentiment, it is obvious that an embryo, blastocyst or foetus, is not a "life" in the same sense a sentient person is, and to grant rights to an insentient clump of cells, that would effectively take away the rights of sentient women, makes no moral or rational sense.

You can hate abortions, that's your choice, as I said if you don't like abortions, then you don't have to have one.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Sounds like something a Hitler would say.
Godwin's law, dear oh dear, your reasoning is relentlessly irrational.

Hilarious-Godwin%E2%80%99s-Law-memes.png

Last edited:

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
To kill her baby as it's being born? For convenience sake? Why should anyone have that right?
A very late-stage termination would only be carried out under extreme clinical necessity. A woman can't simply decide to have an abortion after 24 weeks, let alone in the last few days. Even before 24 weeks it still has to be approved by a medical professional.

You have been told this repeatedly, yet you keep making the same dishonest claim. So much for your much-trumpeted moral superiority. If you have to lie to support your position, you know it is untenable.

QuestioningMind

Apparently you can get a cream that serves the same purpose. But why go to all that bother when you can mutilate a child's genitals?
It is telling that the defence for routine circumcision of infants seems to have been reduced to "but some men suffer from premature ejaculation".

Good lord, have you actually read my posts? I DO NOT advocate for circumcision. I think it is WRONG to force a procedure on someone without their consent. My ONLY argument is that having a MORE sensitive penis is not ALWAYS an advantage.

QuestioningMind

But that isn't the argument. "Pleasure" is entirely subjective. The argument is that circumcision leads to a reduction in sensitivity, which is true. The removed foreskin contains some of the highest density of nerve endings in the body. If an uncircumcised man pulls his foreskin back, puts on a pair of shorts and goes running, he'll last about 10 yards before he has to stop because the sensation of material against the glans is so intense. The circumcised man does this all the time.
It is demonstrable nonsense to say that there is no reduction in sensitivity.

I have AGREED that it makes the penis less sensitive. My ONLY argument is that reduced sensitivity does not NECESARRILY equate to less ultimate pleasure. And it IS subjective, which has been my point all along. You can't just AUTOMATICALLY assume that more sensitivity is ALWAYS better.

QuestioningMind

For an answer to the specific question.

Like I told you the FIRST time you asked, I'm 100% against anyone being forced to have this procedure. It's the same answer I gave you the SECOND time you asked and now I've told you for a THIRD time. Here's a hint, the answer will remain the same if you ask me a FOURTH or even a FIFTH time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Like I told you the FIRST time you asked, I'm 100% against anyone being forced to have this procedure. It's the same answer I gave you the SECOND time you asked and now I've told you for a THIRD time. Here's a hint, the answer will remain the same if you ask me a FOURTH or even a FIFTH time.
Your dwelling on the question of loss of sensitivity
still left me wondering a wee bit. But you're clear.
100% opposed. No religious exemptions.

Also from an earlier post....
"Ever listen to Freakonomics or Hidden Brain podcasts?
It's incredible what information can be teased out of people."
That question remained regarding the possibility of detecting
loss of sensitivity.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
So basically, no proscriptive laws. We can all do whatever we want to everyone, and if someone doesn't like it, the victim just takes the perpetrator to court.
Seems eminently sensible.
I hear you. I'm just curious how many Jewish men regret their circumcision. If it was addressed legally, that would be a good way to measure it.