• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cinema of Belgium

Cooky

Veteran Member
I was watching some Cinema of Belgium films, and unfortunately, I had to cut them short, because they were too graphic, and over the top for me. I'm not sure if I can find much familiarity in Belgian culture.

Is there a constructive message within Belgian film, or something profound that I hadn't reached yet..? Is anyone familiar..?

This is a full length film, with subtitles, that has recieved many awards... It was actually the main breakthrough film from the 1990's that put Belgium Cinema on the map:

to view, click the last line that says "watch on youtube"

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Another trailer I struggled with was this one... An award winning film that seems so far fetched, that again, it would be a struggle to force myself to watch it in full length.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Describe the graphic content. Typical "R" or "M" rated fare doesn't bother me, but I do find scenes of torture or rape to be extremely uncomfortable to watch.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I was watching some Cinema of Belgium films, and unfortunately, I had to cut them short, because they were too graphic, and over the top for me. I'm not sure if I can find much familiarity in Dutch culture.

Is there a constructive message within Dutch film, or something profound that I hadn't reached yet..? Is anyone familiar..?

This is a full length film, with subtitles, that has recieved many awards... It was actually the main breakthrough film from the 1990's that put Belgium Cinema on the map:

Do you mean Dutch or Belgian?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Describe the graphic content. Typical "R" or "M" rated fare doesn't bother me, but I do find scenes of torture or rape to be extremely uncomfortable to watch.

That's exactly what it was... And then the second one, he either sells or throws his girlfriends baby off a bridge... Not sure I would ever want to know!

Last edited:

Jedster

I was watching some Cinema of Belgium films, and unfortunately, I had to cut them short, because they were too graphic, and over the top for me. I'm not sure if I can find much familiarity in Dutch culture.

Is there a constructive message within Dutch film, or something profound that I hadn't reached yet..? Is anyone familiar..?

I really can't blame you for walking out.
Someone took me to see that film when it came out in England(1990s).
I was convinced that the footage was real and really shocked later on to see that is described as a black comedy.
I cannot see any "cultural message" in these types of films.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That's exactly what it was... And then the second one, he either sells or throws his girlfriends baby off a bridge... Not sure I would ever want to know!
Reading a discription, the first one sounds like a French knock-off of Natural Born killers.
And according to a description of the second one, and the child gets retrieved.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I was watching some Cinema of Belgium films, and unfortunately, I had to cut them short, because they were too graphic, and over the top for me. I'm not sure if I can find much familiarity in Belgian culture.

Is there a constructive message within Belgian film, or something profound that I hadn't reached yet..? Is anyone familiar..?

I think I actually watched a few Belgium films as a kid. They were hosted on the free to air channel SBS which hosted South Park at the time. Then played host to “international cinema.” In hindsight I probably shouldn’t have. Since the Europeans in particular make American R rated films look like Sesame Street.

Cooky

Veteran Member
the Europeans in particular make American R rated films look like Sesame Street.

Seriously, it's true. I have to wonder who I'm dealing with now, when I communicate with Europeans... No telling what's really going on in their mind! :eek:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Seriously, it's true. I have to wonder who I'm dealing with now, when I communicate with Europeans... No telling what's really going on in their mind! :eek:
I quite enjoy European cinema myself. Though having been thoroughly desensitised by now, probably explains why.
I think Europe is often more “low budget.” At least in comparison to Hollywood. So are we, really.
Couple that with varying cultures and differing tiered ratings systems, you get some interesting results.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Odd, considering Europeans tend to censor if not outright ban games/movies from America with violent content.
You appear to have cut and pasted something another poster said (see post 11) and made it look as if I said it.

I presume this was unintentional.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I presume this was unintentional.

I'm sure it was, Sir. We Americans certainly wouldn’t want to upset any Europeans here...

tenor-9.gif

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Odd, considering Europeans tend to censor if not outright ban games/movies from America with violent content.
Which ones, may I ask?
It wouldn’t surprise me given the differing ratings systems. I mean European is essentially a shorthand for like a dozen or so countries. But I’ve seen German films put the Saw franchise to shame, for instance.
Not to mention that in most countries video games have different rating systems than movies/tv shows. In Australia for instance most censored/banned games would simply be rated R or MA if they were released as movies. I think because of the interactivity element, it’s argued that different standards apply to video games. Much to the displeasure of gamers, who have to resort to bootlegging even still.
Like South Park Stick of Truth had to be censored since it technically depicted interactive sexual activity involving a minor. If it was just another episode of the show, it would have been free from objections, since it’s rated I think MA15+ or R anyway.

Last edited: