• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Churchianity has Hidden the REAL God and the REAL Christ for 2,000 years!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
an idol has no power in and of itself. we gave it that power, so saying an idol has power in and of itself seems like idolatry first and foremost
Well, duh! That’s what idolatry is, and that’s what I’ve been saying: an idol is an object to which we ascribe deific power and subsequently worship. That’s an idol.

From what I have read
And where did you earn your master’s degree in theology?

PearlSeeker

Something about images:

St John Damascene on Holy Images

"A Treatise on Images will not be out of place in a public, which is confusing the making of images with the making of idols. A great Christian of the eighth century found himself called upon to face an imperial Iconoclast..." (from preface)

Iymus

Well, duh! That’s what idolatry is, and that’s what I’ve been saying: an idol is an object to which we ascribe deific power and subsequently worship. That’s an idol.
:rolleyes:
:oops:
No, that’s not it. Remember: an idol has power in and of itself and is worshiped. It has nothing to do with a “misrepresentation” of any deity. The idol is the deity, itself.

the rest of your post is non sequitur.

In order for an object or image to misrepresent God; we have to subscribe to that image or object power; which makes that image or object graven and an idol; therefore idolatry.

Misrepresentation of God of Abraham and his descendants is idolatry. Idolatry encompasses giving images and objects power that we should not subscribe to them; because all things are of God himself and his glory will he not give to another.

And where did you earn your master’s degree in theology?

Apologies I try to refrain from the doctrine of this world when it comes to God of Abraham and his descendants; especially considering god of the nations seem to be idols.

Understanding is thru precepts and foundation; with the increase being of God our Father.

Psa 119:104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

1Jn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

1Co 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

Mat 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

sojourner

In order for an object or image to misrepresent God; we have to subscribe to that image or object power;
Not necessarily.
Misrepresentation of God of Abraham and his descendants is idolatry
I disagree. And idolatry isn’t usually about God; it’s usually some other deity. Even a misrepresentation of God isn’t ascribed power of itself in most cases.

Apologies I try to refrain from the doctrine of this world when it comes to God of Abraham and his descendants
Well, that’d explain why your concept and theological underpinning is wack.

Iymus

Not necessarily.

Though you disagree you have only helped to give me further insight on why:

Psa 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.

Despite The Most High Power making the heavens and the earth; individuals whether blatantly or naively want to misrepresent him using items and images which they subscribe power to which should be of him alone.

Joh 5:44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
------------------------

I disagree. And idolatry isn’t usually about God; it’s usually some other deity. Even a misrepresentation of God isn’t ascribed power of itself in most cases.

Not sure how your verbiage can not be taken as foolish. Idolatry is about not worshiping the only true God in spirit and truth. Refer back to who is the Possessor or Owner of the Heaven and the Earth.

Gen 14:22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,

you have even possibly given me further insight on why stubbornness itself is as iniquity and idolatry.

1Sa 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

Well, that’d explain why your concept and theological underpinning is wack.

it seems the only gas you have left in your tank is shaming and crafty language. Perhaps getting upset with a brother without cause. In any case:

Pro 15:10 Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die.

Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Act 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Act 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
Act 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Act 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

1Jn 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
1Jn 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

sojourner

Despite The Most High Power making the heavens and the earth; individuals whether blatantly or naively want to misrepresent him using items and images which they subscribe power to which should be of him alone
Except that most Christian images aren’t ascribed deific powers and worshiped as deities, themselves.

Idolatry is about not worshiping the only true God in spirit and truth
No, idolatry is ascribing some object with deific power and worshiping it.

it seems the only gas you have left in your tank is shaming and crafty language
No shame intended, rather an observation as to why your theology doesn’t work. It lacks basis, because you lack schooling in it. I wouldn’t ask medical advice from someone who “loves medicine” but didn’t go to medical school and doesn’t have a license to practice medicine. That person just doesn’t have the schooling and the background. I “love cars,” but I don’t work on them, because I’m not a certified mechanic. You see how this works? You can “love Jesus” all you like, and you can “love the Bible” all you like, but that doesn’t magically make you an expert on theology or interpretation.

Iymus

Except that most Christian images aren’t ascribed deific powers and worshiped as deities, themselves.

No, idolatry is ascribing some object with deific power and worshiping it.

No shame intended, rather an observation as to why your theology doesn’t work. It lacks basis, because you lack schooling in it. I wouldn’t ask medical advice from someone who “loves medicine” but didn’t go to medical school and doesn’t have a license to practice medicine. That person just doesn’t have the schooling and the background. I “love cars,” but I don’t work on them, because I’m not a certified mechanic. You see how this works? You can “love Jesus” all you like, and you can “love the Bible” all you like, but that doesn’t magically make you an expert on theology or interpretation.

It seems that you are using a premise that since Christians "allegedly" do not literally get down on their knees concerning images and objects they are not uncircumcised; Not knowing there is a physical circumcision and a spiritual circumcision.

It seems you are using the physical to deny the spiritual, or all aspects of worship in which to negate graven images and idol worship.

Psa 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.

Psa 119:104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

1Jn 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

observations of images and idols man soweth that are allegedly of the body of Christ which is of God.

Easter-Egg-Hunt-2019-e1551888450946.jpg

santa-claus-showing-ok-vector-id455318563

jesussecondcoming.jpg

NT says no man has seen God yet NT believers have an image of God.
But I am sure this will all be labeled as conspiracy theory above.

Joh 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Joh 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

Joh 6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Joh 7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
Joh 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
Joh 7:18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

Joh 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

Joh 16:28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

1Jn 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1Ti 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Last edited:

sojourner

It seems that you are using a premise that since Christians "allegedly" do not literally get down on their knees concerning images and objects they are not uncircumcised; Not knowing there is a physical circumcision and a spiritual circumcision.

It seems you are using the physical to deny the spiritual, or all aspects of worship in which to negate graven images and idol worship.

Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

observations of images and idols man soweth that are allegedly of the body of Christ which is of God.

Easter-Egg-Hunt-2019-e1551888450946.jpg

santa-claus-showing-ok-vector-id455318563

jesussecondcoming.jpg

NT says no man has seen God yet NT believers have an image of God.
But I am sure this will all be labeled as conspiracy theory above.

Joh 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Joh 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

Joh 6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Joh 7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
Joh 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
Joh 7:18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

Joh 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

Joh 16:28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

1Jn 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1Ti 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
I hope you don’t quit your day job, because a theologian you ain’t.

This post is just abysmal and sad. You’re not fooling anyone with your out-of-context passage-bombing. If it weren’t for the fact that this sort of narrow-minded drivel wasn’t turning people away from the Faith, it would almost be cartoonishly funny.

sojourner

Unless someone decides to pay my bills and taxes I won't.

Never said I am one.
... and yet you vomit this nonsense-disguised-as-theology As if you know what you’re talking about, and apparently spend a great deal of time dabbling in something you clearly do not understand.

Iymus

... and yet you vomit this nonsense-disguised-as-theology As if you know what you’re talking about, and apparently spend a great deal of time dabbling in something you clearly do not understand.

it seems you are the one who denies that it seems

you also seem to deny a misrepresentation of God of Abraham and his descendants is not a graven image or idol.

I have gotten plenty insight from you, and you seem to have nothing else to contribute but malicious and crafty words.

Do you not think that one may consider your own words to be idolatry and vomit in accordance with Torah and NT but have held peace?

sojourner

it seems you are the one who denies that it seems

Psa 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens
It seems that you don’t understand that “all the gods of the nations” were statues, or effigies that were understood to contain and exude deific power — and they were worshiped. That’s a far, far, far, far cry from a picture of Jesus on a postcard, or even from veneration of the cross.
I have gotten plenty insight from you
Judging from your post here, it doesn’t seem that you have.
Do you not think that one may consider your own words to be idolatry and vomit in accordance with Torah and NT but have held peace?
I think that some who misinterpret Torah and the NT might consider them thus in light of their own, misdirected interpretations. But that’s sort of like the patient telling the doctor how to do the surgery and prescribe the treatment. Or the client telling the attorney how to practice law.

If the patient or client is smart, s/he will keep uninformed opinions to her or himself and allow the professional to practice.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It's better for people to ask questions sometimes, or just listen, rather than make wrong statements.

...To say wrong things over, and over..? Is a really bad sign.

Iymus

It seems that you don’t understand that “all the gods of the nations” were statues, or effigies that were understood to contain and exude deific power — and they were worshiped. That’s a far, far, far, far cry from a picture of Jesus on a postcard, or even from veneration of the cross.

all the gods of the nations are called idols because they are not the one who made the heavens but are a false representation or graven image to be him

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Lev 26:1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.

The picture of alleged Jesus Christ is said to represent God because some say Jesus is the God of Abraham and his descendants. If it can be proven that no man has seen God at anytime or that Jesus is not the only true God according to the gospel of Christ; Then the image of Christ is a misrepresentation of God therefore a graven image and as an idol and idolatry

sojourner

all the gods of the nations are called idols because they are not the one who made the heavens but are a false representation or graven image to be him
No, they’re called “idols” because they’re statues that were ascribed deific powers.”

The picture of alleged Jesus Christ is said to represent God because some say Jesus is the God of Abraham and his descendants. If it can be proven that no man has seen God at anytime or that Jesus is not the only true God according to the gospel of Christ; Then the image of Christ is a misrepresentation of God therefore a graven image and as an idol and idolatry
Using this logic, then, since we’re the image of God, and we can see that image, then we are idols. See? This is why you shouldn’t play with theological matches.

Iymus

No, they’re called “idols” because they’re statues that were ascribed deific powers.”

1. which is a misrepresentation of God.

Using this logic, then, since we’re the image of God, and we can see that image, then we are idols. See? This is why you shouldn’t play with theological matches.

2. if we misrepresent ourselves as the only true God or claim to be the God of Abraham and his descendants then YES!!!!!!!

3. Based off your responses I am not sure if you are a child of the Abrahamic faith because.

Num 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Joh 8:39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.
Joh 8:40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.
Joh 8:41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

4. We should already know not to call any man God even though we are made in his image and likeness.

Mat 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

5. "Exo 20:4" also includes ourselves. For example we should not take a mighty hunter such a Nimrod and make him our God.

Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

sojourner

1. which is a misrepresentation of God.
No. The idol doesn’t attempt to “represent God,” so it can’t, by definition, be a misrepresentation of God.

2. if we misrepresent ourselves as the only true God or claim to be the God of Abraham and his descendants then YES!!!!!!!
But that’s not what you said in your earlier post. You said that since God could not be seen, then to try to make God be seen through some image was what constituted idolatry. I said that, since we are the image of God, and we can be seen, then that makes us idols, using your logic. Again: this is why you shouldn’t play with theological matches.

I am not sure
This is the most truthful thing you’ve said thus far.

Iymus

No. The idol doesn’t attempt to “represent God,” so it can’t, by definition, be a misrepresentation of God.

an idol is used by man, nations, or organizations to represent God; and in doing so it misrepresents God according to the Torah. According to the Torah idols are misrepresentations of God.

But that’s not what you said in your earlier post. You said that since God could not be seen, then to try to make God be seen through some image was what constituted idolatry.

Image or Item yes.
any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

I said that, since we are the image of God, and we can be seen, then that makes us idols, using your logic. Again: this is why you shouldn’t play with theological matches.

And like I said
4. We should already know not to call any man God even though we are made in his image and likeness.

Mat 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

5. "Exo 20:4" also includes ourselves. For example we should not take a mighty hunter such a Nimrod and make him our God.

Again: this is why you shouldn’t play with theological matches.

no this is why verses should be put in proper context and we should seek precepts towards understanding. For example Jesus was not literally promoting cannibalism which is also against the Torah; and thru precepts we should see this.

Joh 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
Joh 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.