• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Churches mark Darwin's birthday

linwood

NEW YORK -- Nearly 450 Christian churches around the country plan to celebrate the 197th birthday of Charles Darwin on Sunday with programs and sermons intended to emphasize that his theory of biological evolution is compatible with faith and that Christians have no need to choose between religion and science.

"It's to demonstrate, by Christian leaders and members of the clergy, that you don't have to make that choice. You can have both," said Michael Zimmerman, dean of the College of Letters and Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, who organized the event.

Chicago Tribune

nutshell

Interesting indeed.

My church will be teaching the same thing it always does: Christ is the Savior of the World and has a plan for us.

The rest is up for the members to interpret and decide (meaning some Mormons are strict creationists while others believe strongly in evolution with the Genesis creation being a myth to teach truth).

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Linwood,

You are absolutely correct. A heartfelt tip of the cap to those who deserve it. :D I couldn't find one actually tipping his cap.

B.

linwood

nutshell said:
My church will be teaching the same thing it always does: Christ is the Savior of the World and has a plan for us.

The rest is up for the members to interpret and decide (meaning some Mormons are strict creationists while others believe strongly in evolution with the Genesis creation being a myth to teach truth).
That is exactly as it should be Nutshell, that is what a church is for.
It`s good to hear that.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I doubt my church will notice much... science being compatible with religion is kinda old news to us....

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
linwood said:
NEW YORK -- Nearly 450 Christian churches around the country plan to celebrate the 197th birthday of Charles Darwin on Sunday with programs and sermons intended to emphasize that his theory of biological evolution is compatible with faith and that Christians have no need to choose between religion and science.

"It's to demonstrate, by Christian leaders and members of the clergy, that you don't have to make that choice. You can have both," said Michael Zimmerman, dean of the College of Letters and Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, who organized the event.

Chicago Tribune
Interesting indeed. I do certainley consider macro evolution a possibilty. But this is why I don't get involved with organized religion. They completly miss the the whole point about what God is about.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Mister_T said:
Interesting indeed. I do certainley consider macro evolution a possibilty. But this is why I don't get involved with organized religion. They completly miss the the whole point about what God is about.
Really? do tell. . .

B.