• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Church memberships?

Riders

So I keep seeing these posts saying Christianity is dead.I disagree with that, its not dying off.
The statistics say new church memberships has gone down. But there's still like 40 percent of Americans who go regular. Its a huge amount I will get exact numbers but its still big enough that Christianity is the biggest religion in America.

There's another huge issues with those who trying to paint Christianity as dying. The problem is the statistics we go on is church attendance. The problem is there are tons of bible study groups and home based churches that are listed in meetup.com. There are lots of Christians who drop out of church but not Christianity.

So the idea that Christianity is dying off is a mistake , IMOHO! its just my opinion.

Jumi

So I keep seeing these posts saying Christianity is dead.I disagree with that, its not dying off.
The statistics say new church memberships has gone down. But there's still like 40 percent of Americans who go regular. Its a huge amount I will get exact numbers but its still big enough that Christianity is the biggest religion in America.
Yeah the numbers have been going down in the global north. There is however a trend of missionary activity coming from the global south to north... it will be interesting.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What is most along the path to death is church membership as a social necessity. It's become much more optional in many places. And at the same time more people feel they can be Christian without attending church and instead live their understanding day-to-day.

So it might be more accurate to say that "Churchianity" is dying.

GoodbyeDave

Unfortunately the parts of Christianity that are flourishing are the fundamentalists: "The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity".

Riders

Unfortunately the parts of Christianity that are flourishing are the fundamentalists: "The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity".

Its sad but true, I imagine the church memberships are down in Tx too. However its still just so so huge that the churches are still the big thing. The biggest church is still in Houston, the one with smiley face thats what my Dad use to call him old smiley face.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

There's another huge issues with those who trying to paint Christianity as dying. The problem is the statistics we go on is church attendance. The problem is there are tons of bible study groups and home based churches that are listed in meetup.com. There are lots of Christians who drop out of church but not Christianity.

So the idea that Christianity is dying off is a mistake , IMOHO! its just my opinion.
I don't care what religion one is talking about, when it starts to lose members, it loses members from its nominal fringe, and the smaller it gets the hotter its core gets. It's a paradox really. You can have a large religion that takes over a culture but is essentially lukewarm, or you can have a minority religion with the possibility or being a vibrant game changer.