• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chrysler and Eastwood

Trey of Diamonds

Was Chrysler's commercial with Clint Eastwood political?

Chrysler Super Bowl commercial: Why Detroit loves Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood’s Chrysler Super Bowl ad is still getting a lot of national attention, if you haven’t heard. Many Democrats think it’s an implicit Obama campaign ad, since it talks about “halftime in America” and the return of Detroit from the economic scrapyard. “Remember the auto bailout? Yeah, that was us.” That’s the Democrat’s new mantra.

Some Republicans are upset about that same thing. Former Bush White House political guru Karl Rove said he was “offended” by the ad. Now, Rove is a pretty smart guy, so he’s probably trying to get in the way of Obama wrapping himself in Chrysler’s flag.

[youtube]_PE5V4Uzobc[/youtube]
Chrysler Commercial - It's Halftime in America - OFFICIAL - YouTube

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It didn't seem political to me.

I suspect that people who carp are just seeing what they are predisposed to see.
Obama wants to take credit for Chrysler's bail-out.
Republicans could take credit, since Bush approved their bail-out in 2008.

Crystallas

An Italian company owns Chrysler. This is pandering "patriotic" sales, not a political message about bailouts.

Trey of Diamonds

Clint Eastwood critics show what's wrong in American politics

The fact that Clint Eastwood made a pro-America ad during the presidency of a democrat is not something that is worth of all of the negative attention it has been receiving. Eastwood's record is solid as it relates to who he has supported over the years so leave him alone. We shouldn't always have to wait until a time of crisis to come together as a country. I applaud him for this ad and others should too.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Clint Eastwood critics show what's wrong in American politics

The fact that Clint Eastwood made a pro-America ad during the presidency of a democrat is not something that is worth of all of the negative attention it has been receiving

That's a good point. I haven't heard much about the ad, either way. I enjoyed it, particularly as a Michigander (I'm a sucker for Michigan patriotism pap.)

The ad did come across as pro-bailout (Hey, thanks guys! sorta thing), but mostly it was just meant to get everyone feeling warm and fuzzy about our future. And if democrats have a monopoly on that message, then I'll be darned. And if republicans don't like pro-American messages during a democrat presidency, then that's awfully strange too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Since Eastwood leans libertarian, I doubt that he supports Obama.
I doubt that he supports bail-outs either, but a stronger case can be made to bail out the auto industry than banks. Their assets lose more value at a much faster
rate & have much more secondary bad mojo than banks going under. Their major assets (eg, loans) are fungible, & would simply be bought up by others.