• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Would you support murdering nonbelievers...

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
...if it meant it would "rid the world of evil"? This question came up in another thread, here where someone believes that if it was in our power as Christians to do so, we would try to carry out another Inquisition.

The only reason Christians don't still murder innocent people who, like me, have the brains to smell the coffee, is that the power to do so is no longer in their arsenal.

I assure you that I'm not confused in the least. With great justification I can make a blanket statement to cover an entire group of people and say that they would kill me if they could. That for the most part is all you Christians did when you had the power to do as you pleased. You point out that Christians are commanded by a god to love everyone and be peaceful. In truth, as history attests, the only thing that stopped the slaughter and torture of innocent people by the Christian church, century after century, after century was a bigger army of rational (moral) people like me. You retort that today's Christians are different. But these Christians, who are also commanded by their god to love thy neighbor, have never apologized for their church's vicious tortures and murders. Indeed, these peace-loving Christians continue to uphold the Office of the Inquisition to this day.

Fortunately, you people are policed under the watchful eyes of moral people living in a democracy where human rights are acknowledged and respected—where specific laws are designed to separate Church and State to prevent another theocracy from taking root.

It is reasonable to assume that today's Christians, like you, for example, have the same strong religious conviction as those who lived before you. Like you, they too wanted to rid the world of all that is "evil". So, it is not unreasonable to assume that if today's Christians ever gained the power to prevail over a perceived "evil" by eradicating it, they would carry out their mission with the same enthusiasm as their predecessors.

It surprised me that people feel this way, and I almost feel stupid for asking. I'm fairly sure all Christians here would answer "no" to this question, but now I'm curious. Whaddya think?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't even like killing insects, much less other humans. So no, I wouldn't even dream of murdering non-believers. Murder is against God's commandments anyway but even if it wasn't, I would feel the same.
It makes me sad to think that there are people out there who believe that Christians would go around murdering people if they could get away with it.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Granted that I'm not Christian, but this andys guy is so full of hate that he can't think straight. :tuna: Really quite sad.

uu_sage

I could not in good conscience harm anyone as we are all the children of God, and are ALL SOULS Christian or not are held in divine love and grace.

ayani

I don't even like killing insects, much less other humans. So no, I wouldn't even dream of murdering non-believers. Murder is against God's commandments anyway but even if it wasn't, I would feel the same.

It makes me sad to think that there are people out there who believe that Christians would go around murdering people if they could get away with it.

agreed. the Bible is clear that revenge / divine justice is God's task, not ours. Christians are asked to not resist evil men, to do good to those who hurt us, to forgive our enemies, and to live not by the sword. how anyone can take these commandments and conclude that Christ has dictated killing "non-believers" is beyond me.

many churhes have taken it upon themselves to persecute / kill non-Christians, or Christians whose faith differed from their own. this is wrong, and Christ by His words and example, is clear on this. to rid the world of evil is ultimately what God's final say will do.

weeman2682

Sith Lord
Personaly i think killing people that are not of your religion for the purpose of ridding the world of evil is one off the worst things ive heard. I know it has happend all through our history but if you look at why most of these wars battles etc started was because of different beilve systems,lands that were holy to one faction not the other etc. a lot of it boils down to religion and the inquisition dont even get me started. My view would be get rid of religion and you'll get rid of evil well most of it but thats just me

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Um...no....

The idea in the first place that non believers are the only people that ever committ evil is insane.Or that non-believers never promote good is also insane.

The idea is insane.

Also in order for many Christians to support this would mean they would be have to be willing to possibly kill their own children..parents..brothers sisters and spouses not to mention grandparents ..aunts uncles or last but not least..thier friends..

Love

Dallas