• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Why are LDS threads always closed?

dan

Have you guys noticed that our threads seem to get closed more than anyone else's? Is it because anti-Mormons tend to butt in and harrass everyone? What are your thoughts?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
dan said:
Have you guys noticed that our threads seem to get closed more than anyone else's? Is it because anti-Mormons tend to butt in and harrass everyone? What are your thoughts?

Please excuse me for striding through your forum with muddy boots. I think your suggested reason is the correct one. I cannot quite understand why it should be so, and I wish I knew of a way of helping you guys.

SoyLeche

meh...
I think that a good part of it is our fault too. We tend to approach threads about the LDS as if everyone else was against us. We get defensive really quick, and then things spiral out of control. (Granted, once CARM is brought into the picture, you've pretty much got to go on the defensive)

Melody

michel said:
Please excuse me for striding through your forum with muddy boots. I think your suggested reason is the correct one. I cannot quite understand why it should be so, and I wish I knew of a way of helping you guys.

Happens with the muslims and christians as well. Want a debate where people can't sidetrack it? Put it in same faith where only Mormons can debate.

dan

I wanted to hear from whoever had an opinion, but at the same time wanted a trap-door for people who just wanted to nag. I'd like to hear from non-LDS people on the substance of our threads and debates, but I don't want people to start slinging accusations and stuff.

Fluffy

A fool
****MOD POST****

A number of posts on this thread have been deleted because they violated the same faith debate forum rules. Please remember that the original poster specifies who is allowed to post in these threads and, in this case, this was specified to be Christian. Posts by non-Christian members will be automatically deleted.

****MOD POST****

dan

Sorry about the mess-up, guys. We're changing the thread now so any Christians can post, just don't be a jerk.

jonny

dan said:

They're trying to protect us from ourselves. Some of us tend to give over emotional and defensive. Others are outright rude consistently. If they didn't close the threads everything would just blow up eventually.

Also, the threads tend to go no where. Both sides are too set in their ways to listen to anyone else's opinions.

jonny

SoyLeche said:
I think that a good part of it is our fault too. We tend to approach threads about the LDS as if everyone else was against us. We get defensive really quick, and then things spiral out of control. (Granted, once CARM is brought into the picture, you've pretty much got to go on the defensive)

If all the rest of the LDS would just put CARMs biggest fans on ignore we probably wouldn't have the problem.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jonny said:
If all the rest of the LDS would just put CARMs biggest fans on ignore we probably wouldn't have the problem.
I'm not even sure what the result is when you put someone on ignore. Do you just not see anything they post, or what? Cause I wouldn't want to not see the stuff you-know-who posts. You know, we wouldn't have the problem if you-know-who was banned for continually breaking the same rule over and over again. Somebody else I know was banned for a whole lot less!

PHOTOTAKER

i thank it has always been like that, a young boy of 14 years of age was seeking help to understand what he saw, and the people that he trusted turned on him at the worst possible time and pure hate that any one person can receive... we get attack, we can either run or stand up for what we believe in, but we must not turn it into anger for that will be our down fall, the Book of Mormon is not on trial, we are.

jonny

Katzpur said:
I'm not even sure what the result is when you put someone on ignore. Do you just not see anything they post, or what? Cause I wouldn't want to not see the stuff you-know-who posts. You know, we wouldn't have the problem if you-know-who was banned for continually breaking the same rule over and over again. Somebody else I know was banned for a whole lot less!

Nobody likes to play by themselves. I believe some people post stuff just to get a reaction. By ignoring them you help yourself not react to them and eventually they'll get bored of talking to themselves. That's my philosophy. :D

PHOTOTAKER

jonny said:
Nobody likes to play by themselves. I believe some people post stuff just to get a reaction. By ignoring them you help yourself not react to them and eventually they'll get bored of talking to themselves. That's my philosophy. :D

this is true...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jonny said:
Yeah, you're right. I've actually tried that on occasion and have found that it works to some extent. It's just that I hate to see lies go unchallenged. When you-know-who posts a big cut and paste article he got off the CARM website, and we just ignore it, does everyone else ignore it, too? Or do they think, "Wow! Those Mormons are just too weird for words! Look at some of the stuff they believe! And it's statements by their leaders, too. None of the Mormons are saying anything, so I guess what I'm reading must be true." See, that's what I find so frustrating. On the other hand, it's hard to respond because you no sooner post an answer than there's another post to deal with. It just mushrooms until it gets totally out of hand.

joeboonda

Hi all, well, I just wanted to let you know I love you all, and that I am sorry for all the pain I have caused posting full articles in support of my postion(s). I have been banned forever from the forums, although I sent Todd an e-mail to ask for another chance. For some reason it is still letting me post right now, and I would like to alert any and all moderators of that, as I was banned on Sunday the 11th. I really love all of you, regardless of what religion, and I now realize how posting a full-fleged article is actually against forum rules, as we are to just post a few lines and a link. I was given 4 warnings in a row, within a few minutes of each other, instead of being given a warning, then, if I broke the rules again, another warning, which to me would be more just. So, I got a bunch of warnings on the same thread, and then was permanently banned for having too many warnings. I sent Todd an e-mail expressing my apologies to all, and asking for some leniency in this matter. I truly wish to offer only good and thoughtful posts on topics and treat all of you with the utmost respect and kindness. As this may be my last post, I just wanted to say that I love everyone here, and to the LDS, it is in my heart of hearts that I pray and hope that we do indeed place our trust for salvation in the 'same' Jesus although we have debated the nature of who we say he is. I know we both subscribe deity to him, although we have some differences on some details of it. I again would like to personaly apologize to Kathryn, I was deeply sorrowed to hear of her pain Sunday, she is such a kind, caring person, and a wonderful debator, she has tried to teach me the proper ways of debate, and I am trying to learn, although I have taken one step forward and a thousand steps back in my attempts to understand and learn. Anyway, I have enjoyed discussing and debating our differences and learning more about you all and your beliefs. I truly wish you all well in your lives and in your spiritual growth and journeys. I am very sorry for any pain I have cause, it was not intentional. I have enjoyed my time here with all of you and it is an honor to have been able to meet you and debate and discuss our different religons. I pray that whatever else we may believe, that we may all obtain assurance that according to scripture we can know that we have eternal life right now, forever, by trusting in Jesus that he died, was buried, and rose again to pay for all our sins, and that we may all meet again in Heaven, where we will see clearly and not as now, 'through a glass, darkly'. I will remember you all in my prayers, and I thank you for all the time and work you have put into your endeavors on the forum. I love you all, may the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
Sincerely, with all my love, in Christ,
Mike

P.S. I am sorry for posting since I was banned, somehow it was not put into effect, please let the moderators know if you read this so they may take the appropriate steps. Thanks.

jonny

Katzpur said:
Yeah, you're right. I've actually tried that on occasion and have found that it works to some extent. It's just that I hate to see lies go unchallenged. When you-know-who posts a big cut and paste article he got off the CARM website, and we just ignore it, does everyone else ignore it, too? Or do they think, "Wow! Those Mormons are just too weird for words! Look at some of the stuff they believe! And it's statements by their leaders, too. None of the Mormons are saying anything, so I guess what I'm reading must be true." See, that's what I find so frustrating. On the other hand, it's hard to respond because you no sooner post an answer than there's another post to deal with. It just mushrooms until it gets totally out of hand.

I guess the best way to react to it is to report it, hope it disappears and move on. :shrug:

SoyLeche

meh...
Katzpur said:
You see that they posted something - but you don't see what it is, unless someone quotes it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SoyLeche said:
You see that they posted something - but you don't see what it is, unless someone quotes it.
No good. My curiosity would just get the best of me.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Maize said:
If you were banned, you wouldn't be posting.
LOL. Well, I guess you guys slipped up, Maize. But since Joeboonda asked that we remind you, I'm just passing the message along. :D