• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians - What version of the Bible do you read?

Deidre

Did you recently become a born-again Christian?

Yes, I have. Before leaving Christianity a few years back, can honestly say I wasn't born again. It's not something talked about too much in Catholic circles, and I was raised Catholic. But, having had the experiences I've had over this past quarter, yea...I finally understand what being 'born again' is even about.

Gambit

Yes, I have. Before leaving Christianity a few years back, can honestly say I wasn't born again. It's not something talked about too much in Catholic circles, and I was raised Catholic. But, having had the experiences I've had over this past quarter, yea...I finally understand what being 'born again' is even about.

They have born-again Catholics in the charismatic movement. At any rate, I suspect this means that you will be eventually leaving this forum.

Deidre

They have born-again Catholics in the charismatic movement. At any rate, I suspect this means that you will be eventually leaving this forum.

Yes, that's true, but in my own upbringing, and of the parishes I've attended, there wasn't much talk of it. That said, I still may attend Catholic masses, as neither experience is better, it's just different than the other. Why would I leave the forum? My beliefs if they were to be categorized fall into non-denominational, and my connection to and with Christ, is my own.

Gambit

Yes, that's true, but in my own upbringing, and of the parishes I've attended, there wasn't much talk of it. That said, I still may attend Catholic masses, as neither experience is better, it's just different than the other. Why would I leave the forum? My beliefs if they were to be categorized fall into non-denominational, and my connection to and with Christ, is my own.

Because born-again Christians do not appear to have a strong presence here and you will seek support elsewhere. But I could be wrong.

Intojoy

I'm born again.
The closest translations to the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts are in the order I listed. One piece of advice I got was to get a bible in paragraph form. That way it's read in context.

Also needed are a bible survey, a bible dictionary and a concordance.

Deidre

I'm born again.
The closest translations to the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts are in the order I listed. One piece of advice I got was to get a bible in paragraph form. That way it's read in context.

Also needed are a bible survey, a bible dictionary and a concordance.

Thank you for this...when you read the Bible, what do you hope to get out of it? For me now, I find myself relating to the stories, from the faith experiences I've had recently. Besides knowledge, what draws you to the Bible?

Intojoy

1. Scripture is God breathed (IITim 3:16)
2. It is the Word of God to man (Jn. 10:35)
3. it is infallible (Ps 19:5)
4. It is without error (Pr 30:5,6)
5. It is as it was originally given (II Pt 1:21)
6. It is a divine inspiration and that divine inspiration is plenary (Rom 15:4)
7. It is verbally inspired (Mat 4:4)
8. It is confluent (II Sam 23:2)
9. It is the very Word of God possessing all of His authority (Is 1:2)
10. It is sufficient to save sinners (Tim 3:15)
11. It has clarity for understanding (Ps 119:105)
12. It has the efficacy of convicting sinners (Heb 4:12)
13. The central purpose of the scripture is to confess and witness and confess to the Messiah (Luke 22:44)
THE BIBLE IS THE WORD OF GOD INSPIRED PLENARILY, VERBALLY, INFALLIBLY, AND IS WITHOUT ERROR. THE BIBLE IS AN ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE SOURCE FOR EXACTLY WHAT GOD WANTS MAN TO KNOW, WHAT GOD WANTS MAN TO BELIEVE, AND HOW GOD WANTS THE BELIEVER TO ACT IN THE SPIRITUAL LIFE.

Deidre

1. Scripture is God breathed (IITim 3:16)
2. It is the Word of God to man (Jn. 10:35)
3. it is infallible (Ps 19:5)
4. It is without error (Pr 30:5,6)
5. It is as it was originally given (II Pt 1:21)
6. It is a divine inspiration and that divine inspiration is plenary (Rom 15:4)
7. It is verbally inspired (Mat 4:4)
8. It is confluent (II Sam 23:2)
9. It is the very Word of God possessing all of His authority (Is 1:2)
10. It is sufficient to save sinners (Tim 3:15)
11. It has clarity for understanding (Ps 119:105)
12. It has the efficacy of convicting sinners (Heb 4:12)
13. The central purpose of the scripture is to confess and witness and confess to the Messiah (Luke 22:44)
THE BIBLE IS THE WORD OF GOD INSPIRED PLENARILY, VERBALLY, INFALLIBLY, AND IS WITHOUT ERROR. THE BIBLE IS AN ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE SOURCE FOR EXACTLY WHAT GOD WANTS MAN TO KNOW, WHAT GOD WANTS MAN TO BELIEVE, AND HOW GOD WANTS THE BELIEVER TO ACT IN THE SPIRITUAL LIFE.

Now, I can agree...lol There was a time I wouldn't have agreed with you. Have you ever had an experience of faith? Personally, I believe that as much as the Bible is essential for a Christian's walk, what is equally essential is an experience of faith.

Intojoy

It is important because it leads one to faith.

However, there is a need for in depth bible studies. Because men are classified by scripture according to their ability to understand the word of God.

The natural man, the unsaved man has no ability to understand since he is not born again yet.

The baby believer can only understand the milk of the word, the fundamentals.

The carnal believer also only can handle the milk of the word because although he has had enough time to mature, he became carnal and must relearn the milk, re settle the issues in his mind and move forward.

The fully grown spiritual believer has used the milk, gained strength and moved onto the meat of the word the deep things of God.

It is safe to say that emotional experiences and even supernatural miracles are milk. There is a danger of not maturing if one does not apply himself to serious study.

Still saved, able to move on but choose not to. We all come to this point in our walk.

Take the experience you've had and use it to draw close to God thru his word.

Ariel.org

Deidre

The Amplified Bible.
I like the detail and the simplicity. (Although I disagree with some of the commentary but that's not really important to the translation)

Then probably the CJB, NIV and ESV. But I mostly stick to my bible.
Hi Thana, do you attend a church on a regular basis, and if so, do they use the amplified version mainly? Just wondering.

Deidre

Translation into English is full of problems. The two approaches to solving those problems are: Dynamic translation and Formal translation. Neither can accurately portray the meaning. In truth the Bibles that we buy and make notes on are never going to be as good. If you want an accurate translation you must translate yourself to the words, not the words to you. If you absolutely must know everything, then learn the language, translating your own brain into Hebrew and Greek.

Dynamic translations like NIV are easy to read and assert ideas. For example: in the NIV there is a lot of playing around with 'Spirit'. In Hebrew there is no equivalent to 'Spirit', but NIV scholars use that word 'Spirit' a lot. Hebrew has a term 'Ruach' that we do not have in English and which appears in no Bible translations at all! In Hebrew, all life shares the 'Ruach', all creatures. It is a mysterious force which can be 'Breath' can be 'Wind' and can be 'Spirit'. You will not see an equivalent in either Dynamic or Formal translations. The dynamic scholar tries to make up for the shortcomings of translation by hiding difficulties. The Formal translator gives you word study tools to find it out, perhaps, but not always. To some folks this seems like the scholars take liberties, but in fact a genuine translation is not possible. It is those people who insist that translations are accurate -- those are the people who take liberties.

Online Bibles if you want to compare:
thank you so much for this brick!!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
When I was conservative, I read the NIV. When I was liberal, I read NRSV. I am transitioning out of Christianity, so I stopped reading it.

Thana

Lady
Hi Thana, do you attend a church on a regular basis, and if so, do they use the amplified version mainly? Just wondering.

Oh no, I don't really go to church. And no, seems to be that churches are more fond of the NIV/ESV. Atleast that I've encountered so far.
To be honest, outside of family, I've never met any other Christian who's read the Amp version.

Deidre

Oh no, I don't really go to church. And no, seems to be that churches are more fond of the NIV/ESV. Atleast that I've encountered so far.
To be honest, outside of family, I've never met any other Christian who's read the Amp version.

I'm wondering if I can get all of these versions on my kindle? Then, I could compare. KJV is the one I'm mainly familiar with, and have read most from, but maybe that would be a nice and easy way for me to 'compare.' :)

Thana

Lady
I'm wondering if I can get all of these versions on my kindle? Then, I could compare. KJV is the one I'm mainly familiar with, and have read most from, but maybe that would be a nice and easy way for me to 'compare.' :)

*Shudder* the KJV? Yeah, you should definitely try different versions.
Honestly they're all free online, And the website BibleGateway.com lets you pick from most translations so you can easily compare them side by side. I do it all the time.

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
The KJV is a good but dated translation. There are better. The NASB if you want almost woodenly literal, word-for-word translations or the NIV if you want thought for thought. The ESV is good as are the RSV and the REB. The really important thing to remember is that ALL Bibles are necessarily translations. Every word we read (even these) are written / understood through your own unique senses and the experiences of your upbringing. Take the time to read as many versions as you can (I still have over 50) and read commentaries as well as discussing it in small groups / your church.

InChrist

Free4ever
Interesting, I was raised Catholic, left the Catholic Church and tried several other religious/spiritual groups and paths until finally being born again.

I have a few versions of the Bible, but mainly read the NKJV.

Deidre

Interesting, I was raised Catholic, left the Catholic Church and tried several other religious/spiritual groups and paths until finally being born again.

I have a few versions of the Bible, but mainly read the NKJV.

Being 'born again' isn't talked about much in the RCC, and if it is...it's summed up as a baptismal concept, thus a 'Sacrament.' While there are good things about the RCC, where they fall short is this idea that they somehow 'own' our path to Jesus. Thx for sharing! :)