• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians - What version of the Bible do you read?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
N.I.V. and N.W.T. the later a J.W. approved Bible they claim is the best ever in the
world and throughout history.
Is it? Inquiring minds don'cah'know?

Deidre

Hi Deidre,

Can I ask what you believe being "born again" means? I hear so many people claim to be "born again" that I am curious to see if it means the same thing to all who claim it?
I just saw this, apologies for not answering sooner. :blush:

For me, it means to be experiencing my faith, living my faith. Willingly, for Jesus. A genuine joy that comes from a relationship with Christ. I think before I left Christianity, I was perhaps going through the motions more than I'd like to admit. But, there's no more going through the motions. I truly feel at peace in a way I didn't feel before...or as an atheist. Probably the best way I can articulate it. Thank you for asking.

Deidre

You may want to visit a Baptist service just once to understand the difference that I am explaining poorly.
I said there was scripture reading in the masses that I attended.
I also said that it was not a significant focus of the worship experience.

In the worst of the Baptist services that I have attended, the 'message' will consist of 30 minutes of scripture reading and 45 minutes of exposition on those verses (plus another 30 minutes of life application). It becomes the centerpiece of the worship service and everyone is encouraged to read along in their own Bible. Under such a circumstance, which version of the Bible is being read from becomes both more important and more obvious.

I cannot remember the Catholic Mass EVER suggesting that anyone read along in their Bible.
Which is not intended as a criticism, just an explanation for why I don't know which translations the Catholic Church uses. I know the Mass I attended used antiquated grammar English, so I mistook it for King James since that is the most widely printed 'archaic' English Bible.
I attended a Baptist service last year for Christmas, and loved it. This particular church calls itself Baptist, but it seems non-denominational. The Pastor read from the Bible, and in the pews, were Bibles. That is not the case in the RCC, that is true. But, selected Bible readings are put into a book that is to be followed along, during mass. (if one wishes to follow along)

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Yes. Perhaps why Christians have 41,000 denominations all reading
the SAME BOOK.
http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_Christian_denominations_are_there
Do you mean the Bible? Yes, we are all reading the Bible. But in different versions, and that is what this thread is about.

Nor would I define a translation of any kind as "the same book" as another translation, not is translation the only difference between versions. There are many different canons, for instance.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Yes. Perhaps why Christians have 41,000 denominations all reading
the SAME BOOK.
http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_Christian_denominations_are_there

Amazing, isn't it?!

I mean, (of the major religions) different sects professing Judaism: around 30.
Different Islamic sects: 40-50.
Different sects professing Christianity: 41,000!!!

In my opinion, this tells me that Christianity has been under attack more than any other religion! Why? Because it started out as truth!! The Great Deceiver wants only to keep people from learning the truth....what better way than to increase the haystack, to hide the needle even more! That's why John 13:34-35 is so important.

whirlingmerc

I tend to use ESV or NKJV. Those are both 'essentially literal' translations where the translators
try not to make translation decisions that rule out some interpretations and leave those to the reader as much as possible

I also read an interlinear greek Bible that has both the original greek and the english underneath

I read other translations as well but try to keep their strengths and weaknesses in mind. For example a nice thing of the KJV is it keeps some of the origal phrases form the Psalms intact without traslating like 'the anointed was poured out on Mount Zion'

robrog8999

Since returning to the faith, I'm back into reading the Bible on a more regular basis. Curious as to if you could share what version of the Bible you read from mainly, and why? I'm intending on finding a Bible-based church, and of the ones I've visited, they have been using the ESV.

Your thoughts would be appreciated on the topic. :)
New Believers Bible- first steps for new Christians
I highly recommend it! Its simple English, easy to read and understand. It has tons of study tools and question and answer dialogs and all sorts of other cool features. Defiantly worth looking into!!
https://play.google.com/store/books...O1&gclid=CLGhqq2tr9ACFUVrMgode5UMzA&gclsrc=ds

whirlingmerc

There is something to be said for a first time read with an easy to read translation or paraphrase
like the Message or The Living Bible or maybe even the Amplified

I think for actual study, I would still use ESV, NKJV or NASB because I want the translation to not paraphrase or use artistic license if I'm trying to study