• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: What happens to the souls of those who will be judged on Judgment Day after they die?

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
As a follower of Christ, I believe those who are saved by God's manifested power of salvation (and other great things) which is Christ, are anointed with the Holy spirit and will not be judged in the same manner as those who are not saved. However everyone will be judged.
Romans 8:1
[ Life Through the Spirit ] Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,
So... until Judgment day, what happens to the souls of those who have died? When I think of the soul, I think of a state of existence which is made up of some sort of spiritual energy or substance our human brains can't conceive. Some Christians theorize there is a place of wait; where the souls go until Judgment day. Some Christians believe the souls who are saved go directly to Heaven. Muslims believe the soul is awake while it waits in the grave. Other Christians believe the soul goes into a state of slumber until the day of resurrection and I lean more towards this belief. It's hard for me to believe there is a waiting area for souls or a kind of purgatory or that souls hang out on earth until Judgment day. After all, the Bible repeatedly speaks of a resurrection and I don't think it will be a physical resurrection; rather a spiritual resurrection (this is a whole other topic which is also largely debated) but I do believe God will provide glorified bodies for those who make it to Heaven and condemned bodies for those who don't.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
So... until Judgment day, what happens to the souls of those who have died? .

Here is what we believe if anyone is interested!
https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-41-the-postmortal-spirit-world?lang=eng

In short, we believe that prior to resurrection/judgement there is a temporary state of teaching/learning - those who came to a knowledge of God in this life become teachers, and those who were unable to come to a knowledge of God become students. The judgement does not happen until everyone has had the same opportunity to learn and either accept or reject the same principles and ordinances of the gospel.

"... He appointed messengers, gave them power and authority, and commissioned them to “carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men” (D&C 138:30).

jtartar

As a follower of Christ, I believe those who are saved by God's manifested power of salvation (and other great things) which is Christ, are anointed with the Holy spirit and will not be judged in the same manner as those who are not saved. However everyone will be judged.
[ Life Through the Spirit ] Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,
So... until Judgment day, what happens to the souls of those who have died? When I think of the soul, I think of a state of existence which is made up of some sort of spiritual energy or substance our human brains can't conceive. Some Christians theorize there is a place of wait; where the souls go until Judgment day. Some Christians believe the souls who are saved go directly to Heaven. Muslims believe the soul is awake while it waits in the grave. Other Christians believe the soul goes into a state of slumber until the day of resurrection and I lean more towards this belief. It's hard for me to believe there is a waiting area for souls or a kind of purgatory or that souls hang out on earth until Judgment day. After all, the Bible repeatedly speaks of a resurrection and I don't think it will be a physical resurrection; rather a spiritual resurrection (this is a whole other topic which is also largely debated) but I do believe God will provide glorified bodies for those who make it to Heaven and condemned bodies for those who don't.

Tranquil Servant,
In order to really understand what you are asking, you first need to know what death is. When God created Adam notice what is stated, at Gen 2:7, God created the man from the dust of the ground and blew into him the breath of life and the man became a living soul. Notice the man BECAME a living soul.
Unknown to the vast majority of people, even claimed Bible students is what the Bible actually says about life and death, Ecc 3:18-20, 9:5,6.10, Eze 18:4.20.
After Adam and Eve rebelled against God He said that they would RETURN to the ground, for DUST you are and to DUST you will return.
Another very important point: every living thing are called SOULS, Gen 1:20,21. The Hebrew word for souls is NEPHESH, snf if you hsve s concordance you will find that animals as well as men are called souls. Souls that do not obey God will die, Eze 18:4,20, Acts 3:23. The word soul is used to mean the individual, even used for God. If you look in a concordance you will find that soul is used for God at Prov 6:16.
The Bible tells us that everyone will stand before the throne of God, Rom 14:11,12.
Also we will all stand before the judgement of Christ, Rom 14:10. Notice that at John 5:22, the Bible says that God does no judging, but has given all the judging to the son.
Now, what this actually means is; When Jesus comes to judge the world of mankind at Armageddon, all those found to Know God and who obet the Gospel of Jesus will be found worthy to go into the Thousand Year Judgement Day, but all those who do not will be destroyed and go into the Lake of Fire, 2Thess 1:6-9, Matt 25:46, Rev 19:11-21, 2Pet 3:7. God, whose Personal name in English, is Jehovah is, of course the fnal Judge of everything!!! Everyone not written in the Book of Life goes into the Lake of Fire and Sulfur, which is a symbol for being out of existence for eternity, Rev 20_14,15

also we

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
So... until Judgment day, what happens to the souls of those who have died? When I think of the soul, I think of a state of existence which is made up of some sort of spiritual energy or substance our human brains can't conceive. Some Christians theorize there is a place of wait; where the souls go until Judgment day. Some Christians believe the souls who are saved go directly to Heaven. Muslims believe the soul is awake while it waits in the grave. Other Christians believe the soul goes into a state of slumber until the day of resurrection and I lean more towards this belief. It's hard for me to believe there is a waiting area for souls or a kind of purgatory or that souls hang out on earth until Judgment day.
It's the opinion of the earliest Christians, and of the Orthodox Church, that we will go into a place of wait. There, we receive a foretaste of our judgement; fire and suffering for the wicked, and bliss for the blessed. But, our prayers for the dead can positively impact their judgement in some way; how that works, don't ask me. I just know that praying for the dead is an ancient practice of the Church.

If I may ask, why is a place of wait hard for you to believe? What else would the souls of the dead do, lay next to their bodies and twiddle their thumbs until the Judgement?

After all, the Bible repeatedly speaks of a resurrection and I don't think it will be a physical resurrection; rather a spiritual resurrection (this is a whole other topic which is also largely debated) but I do believe God will provide glorified bodies for those who make it to Heaven and condemned bodies for those who don't.
What do you mean, a "spiritual resurrection"? I've heard that phrase quite a few times, but I've never understood quite what it meant.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Ecclesiastes states that the dead are conscious
Of nothing and Ezekiel 18:4 says the 'soul' dies....

You have read of the resurrection because that is what the scriptures
Do teach...the dead will be restored to life. They will be raised up and stand again.
However some will be resurrected in glorious bodies...these ones
Are resurrected to heavenly life. They become spirits...the others are restored to earthly life in physical bodies. If those ones are judged adversely after their resurrection, they will die a 'second death's from which they will never awake from.

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
It's the opinion of the earliest Christians, and of the Orthodox Church, that we will go into a place of wait. There, we receive a foretaste of our judgement; fire and suffering for the wicked, and bliss for the blessed.
Not all of the earliest Christians held this opinion..
The Apostle Paul wrote:
42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.--1 Corinthians 15:42-44
Plus, the idea that the dead receive a foretaste of their judgement is a belief held by Muslims.

But, our prayers for the dead can positively impact their judgement in some way; how that works, don't ask me. I just know that praying for the dead is an ancient practice of the Church.
Praying for the dead is an ancient practice of which church? (References please)
I believe that no matter how much a person prays for the dead, each person will ultimately be held accountable for their own actions.
Revelation 20:12
And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.
If I may ask, why is a place of wait hard for you to believe? What else would the souls of the dead do, lay next to their bodies and twiddle their thumbs until the Judgement?
Time only exists to those of us who are living on earth but time doesn't exist for God or angels; so why would exist for souls? Everything on earth that lives is condemned to die. From the time we are born, the time starts ticking. If everything that lived lasted for eternity, then time wouldn't be so precious. I look at it like when we go to sleep at night. When we go to sleep at night, we aren't aware of the time that passes. I know there's been many times when I've laid down to go to sleep at night and have woken up feeling like I've only slept for an hour; when in reality I've slept for eight (unless I had difficulty sleeping throughout the night)
What do you mean, a "spiritual resurrection"? I've heard that phrase quite a few times, but I've never understood quite what it meant.
This guy has a pretty good explanation of what the "spiritual resurrection" means..
Do you go straight to Heaven when you die?
(not to mention the verse from the Apostle Paul which I quoted earlier)

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Not all of the earliest Christians held this opinion..
The Apostle Paul wrote:
42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.--1 Corinthians 15:42-44
And what does this have to do with the time between death and resurrection?

Plus, the idea that the dead receive a foretaste of their judgement is a belief held by Muslims.
Well hey, the Muslims got the idea from somewhere. They got it from both the Jews and the Christians.

Sheol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hades in Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Praying for the dead is an ancient practice of which church? (References please)
Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and Assyrian Church of the East--in other words, all four of the ancient Christian communions that visibly trace their teachings, heritage and lineage back to the Apostles.

If that isn't a sign that praying for the dead is an ancient Christian practice, I don't know what is. You have the Christians in the Western Roman Empire, Eastern Roman Empire and the Persian Empire that ALL practiced prayer for the dead. From Scotland to Ethiopia, from Spain to China, the ancient Christians all practiced prayer for the dead--and still do to this very day.

Prayer for the dead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe that no matter how much a person prays for the dead, each person will ultimately be held accountable for their own actions.
Revelation 20:12
And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.
Well yeah, it's not a Get Out of Jail Free card.

Time only exists to those of us who are living on earth but time doesn't exist for God or angels; so why would exist for souls? Everything on earth that lives is condemned to die. From the time we are born, the time starts ticking. If everything that lived lasted for eternity, then time wouldn't be so precious. I look at it like when we go to sleep at night. When we go to sleep at night, we aren't aware of the time that passes. I know there's been many times when I've laid down to go to sleep at night and have woken up feeling like I've only slept for an hour; when in reality I've slept for eight (unless I had difficulty sleeping throughout the night)
So, kinda like soul sleep, then?

This guy has a pretty good explanation of what the "spiritual resurrection" means..
Do you go straight to Heaven when you die?
(not to mention the verse from the Apostle Paul which I quoted earlier)
So yeah, soul sleep. I'm guessing then, that you take the "spiritual resurrection" to mean a "waking up" then?

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
And what does this have to do with the time between death and resurrection?
The reason why this verse is relevant is because if you believe a soul is waiting for the resurrection, then this implies, those who are dead will resurrect in the physical body. Let me explain why: When I think of resurrection I perceive this as going from a state of non-existence, back to a state of existence.
Ecclesiastes 9:5
For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.
Genesis 6:3
Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years.”
The flesh can't live without the soul but according to the Bible the soul or spirit can live beyond the flesh. To say the soul is waiting for the resurrection is a contradiction unless the soul also ceases to exist but to say the soul is waiting for the body to resurrect is more logical. However, as I showed before in the verse of 1Corinthians 15:42-44, the flesh will not resurrect.
Resurrect-
1. To bring back to life; raise from the dead.
2. To bring back into practice, notice, or use.
If the soul is waiting, then how can the soul resurrect? A resurrection applies only to something that ceases to exist. A soul who is waiting has not ceased to exist but rather the soul is just "waiting."
Well hey, the Muslims got the idea from somewhere. They got it from both the Jews and the Christians.

Sheol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hades in Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and Assyrian Church of the East--in other words, all four of the ancient Christian communions that visibly trace their teachings, heritage and lineage back to the Apostles.

If that isn't a sign that praying for the dead is an ancient Christian practice, I don't know what is. You have the Christians in the Western Roman Empire, Eastern Roman Empire and the Persian Empire that ALL practiced prayer for the dead. From Scotland to Ethiopia, from Spain to China, the ancient Christians all practiced prayer for the dead--and still do to this very day.

Prayer for the dead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of these are ideas introduced to the Hellenistic Jews by the Greeks and introduced (or forced) to the Christians by the Catholic Church established by the Emperor Constantine. Most Protestant Christians do not acknowledge these teachings.

She'ol
(
11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png
/ˈʃiːoʊl/ SHEE-ohl or /ˈʃiːəl/ SHEE-əl; Hebrew שְׁאוֹל Šʾôl), translated as "grave", "pit", or "abode of the dead"
(where the dead reside or repose) Notice: It's "abode of the dead" and not abode of the soul or spirit.
While the Old Testament writings describe Sheol as the permanent place of the dead, in the Second Temple period (roughly 500 BCE-70 CE) a more diverse set of ideas evolved: in some texts, Sheol is the home of both the righteous and the wicked, separated into respective compartments; in others, it was a place of punishment, meant for the wicked dead alone.[4] When the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek in ancient Alexandria around 200 BC the word "Hades" (underworld) was substituted for Sheol, and this is reflected in the New Testament where Hades is both the underworld of the dead and the personification of the evil it represents.
Well yeah, it's not a Get Out of Jail Free card.
Obviously...
This is why Jesus never taught to pray for the dead and I doubt the earliest Church Fathers (the Apostles) did.
So, kinda like soul sleep, then?
So yeah, soul sleep. I'm guessing then, that you take the "spiritual resurrection" to mean a "waking up" then?
Kind of...but not a sleep. I believe sleep or rest is only for the flesh. I believe when God says "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal..." and when the Old Testament says:
Ecclesiastes 12:7
and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
This means, when God made Man from the earth, he did not live until God's breath gave him life. I believe the breath of God is the soul; a gift of life and existence. When we no longer breath, our soul departs from our bodies, the flesh reverts back to the earth, and we cease to exist. The soul is really what gives life; we cannot exist or live without a soul and the soul came directly from God. So I believe God retrieves his breath or our soul or existence (just like the verse above says) until the time comes for judgment; then God will restore our existence or soul. Remember God is all-powerful and while things might seem crazy, impossible and totally illogical to us, for God anything is possible.

BeckyRose1998

PICKLES THE KID
To answer your question, "What happens to the souls of those who will be judged on Judgement Day after they die?":
I went to church this past Monday. The pastor was telling us about this. Here's some of it.

Mat 25:34 Then the King shall say to those on His right hand, Come, blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
Mat 25:35 For I was hungry, and you gave me food; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you took Me in;
Mat 25:36 I was naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.
Mat 25:37 Then the righteous shall answer Him, saying, Lord, when did we see You hungry, and fed You? Or thirsty, and gave You drink?
Mat 25:38 When did we see You a stranger, and took You in? Or naked, and clothed You?
Mat 25:39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and came to You?
Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brothers, you have done it to Me.
Mat 25:41 Then He also shall say to those on the left hand, Depart from Me, you cursed, into everlasting fire prepared for the Devil and his angels.
Mat 25:42 For I was hungry, and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty, and you gave Me no drink;
Mat 25:43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in; I was naked, and you did not clothe Me; I was sick, and in prison, and you did not visit me.
Mat 25:44 Then they will also answer Him, saying, Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to You?
Mat 25:45 Then He shall answer them, saying, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into everlasting life.
Hope this helps.

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
To answer your question, "What happens to the souls of those who will be judged on Judgement Day after they die?":
I went to church this past Monday. The pastor was telling us about this. Here's some of it.

Mat 25:34 Then the King shall say to those on His right hand, Come, blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
Mat 25:35 For I was hungry, and you gave me food; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you took Me in;
Mat 25:36 I was naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.
Mat 25:37 Then the righteous shall answer Him, saying, Lord, when did we see You hungry, and fed You? Or thirsty, and gave You drink?
Mat 25:38 When did we see You a stranger, and took You in? Or naked, and clothed You?
Mat 25:39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and came to You?
Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brothers, you have done it to Me.
Mat 25:41 Then He also shall say to those on the left hand, Depart from Me, you cursed, into everlasting fire prepared for the Devil and his angels.
Mat 25:42 For I was hungry, and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty, and you gave Me no drink;
Mat 25:43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in; I was naked, and you did not clothe Me; I was sick, and in prison, and you did not visit me.
Mat 25:44 Then they will also answer Him, saying, Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to You?
Mat 25:45 Then He shall answer them, saying, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into everlasting life.
Hope this helps.
Thank you sister....I'm aware of what the bible teaches concerning eternal life and eternal condemnation but my question is in reference to time. The Bible teaches us we will be resurrected before God Judges us so (not including the prophets) where are the souls of everyone who has died?

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
Ecclesiastes 3:20 All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust
Yes, AND...

and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
Dust = Flesh
Spirit = Soul
We know the flesh returns to the earth but where do you think souls go after people die? The verse says "the spirit returns to God who gave it;" so what do you think this means?
The Bible says everyone will be resurrected for Judgment; do you believe there will be a literal day of Judgement? If so, where are the souls of those who've died? are the souls waiting in some sort of spiritual waiting room?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yes, AND...

Dust = Flesh
Spirit = Soul
We know the flesh returns to the earth but where do you think souls go after people die? The verse says "the spirit returns to God who gave it;" so what do you think this means?
The Bible says everyone will be resurrected for Judgment; do you believe there will be a literal day of Judgement? If so, where are the souls of those who've died? are the souls waiting in some sort of spiritual waiting room?

We should analyze this based on the Hebrew definition of 'spirit' and 'soul' because that is the language of the bible writer.

the Hebrew ne′phesh (soul) is the 'entire physical person' or animal.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia —1967, Vol. XIII, p. 467. “The soul in the O[ld] T[estament] means not a part of man, but the whole man—man as a living being.”

The New American Bible, in its “Glossary of Biblical Theology Terms” (pp. 27, 28), says: “In the New Testament, to ‘save one’s soul’ (Mk 8:35) does not mean to save some ‘spiritual’ part of man, as opposed to his ‘body’ (in the Platonic sense) but the whole person with emphasis on the fact that the person is living, desiring, loving and willing, etc., in addition to being concrete and physical.”—Edition published by P. J. Kenedy & Sons, New York, 1970.

Koehler and Baumgartner’s Lexicon in Veteris Testamenti Libros (Leiden, 1958, p. 627) defines soul as: “the breathing substance, making man a[nd] animal living beings Gn 1, 20, the soul (strictly distinct from the greek notion of soul) the seat of which is the blood Gn 9, 4f Lv 17, 11 Dt 12, 23: (249 X) . . . soul = living being, individual, person.”

the Hebrew ru′ach (spirit) literally means “breath” or "wind". We can see this by how bible writers describe the 'spirit', ie:
Ps. 146:4: “His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish.”
The spirit is an impersonal force as this above verse shows...when one dies, his 'thoughts' perish. Hence 'spirit' has nothing to do with our self awareness.

Eccl. 3:19-21: “There is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit, so that there is no superiority of the man over the beast, for everything is vanity. All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust
here we can see that all living things have the same 'spirit'... its not as if we have our own individual spirits...we are alive, animals and humans, by the same spirit. A good example of this is a power plant can generate power for thousands of different homes and appliances... but they all receive power from the one power source.

So just from these two verses we learn the hebrew belief that the 'spirit' is not a conscious part of man...it leaves the body at death and returns to God because God is the source of the spirit. Spirit does not belong to man...it is given to him as a means of giving life to the body/soul. When the soul dies, the lifeforce returns to God.

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
We should analyze this based on the Hebrew definition of 'spirit' and 'soul' because that is the language of the bible writer.

the Hebrew ne′phesh (soul) is the 'entire physical person' or animal.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia —1967, Vol. XIII, p. 467. “The soul in the O[ld] T[estament] means not a part of man, but the whole man—man as a living being.”

The New American Bible, in its “Glossary of Biblical Theology Terms” (pp. 27, 28), says: “In the New Testament, to ‘save one’s soul’ (Mk 8:35) does not mean to save some ‘spiritual’ part of man, as opposed to his ‘body’ (in the Platonic sense) but the whole person with emphasis on the fact that the person is living, desiring, loving and willing, etc., in addition to being concrete and physical.”—Edition published by P. J. Kenedy & Sons, New York, 1970.

Koehler and Baumgartner’s Lexicon in Veteris Testamenti Libros (Leiden, 1958, p. 627) defines soul as: “the breathing substance, making man a[nd] animal living beings Gn 1, 20, the soul (strictly distinct from the greek notion of soul) the seat of which is the blood Gn 9, 4f Lv 17, 11 Dt 12, 23: (249 X) . . . soul = living being, individual, person.”

the Hebrew ru′ach (spirit) literally means “breath” or "wind". We can see this by how bible writers describe the 'spirit', ie:
Ps. 146:4: “His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish.”
The spirit is an impersonal force as this above verse shows...when one dies, his 'thoughts' perish. Hence 'spirit' has nothing to do with our self awareness.

Eccl. 3:19-21: “There is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit, so that there is no superiority of the man over the beast, for everything is vanity. All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust
here we can see that all living things have the same 'spirit'... its not as if we have our own individual spirits...we are alive, animals and humans, by the same spirit. A good example of this is a power plant can generate power for thousands of different homes and appliances... but they all receive power from the one power source.

So just from these two verses we learn the hebrew belief that the 'spirit' is not a conscious part of man...it leaves the body at death and returns to God because God is the source of the spirit. Spirit does not belong to man...it is given to him as a means of giving life to the body/soul. When the soul dies, the lifeforce returns to God.
...O-K, I can agree with this. Thanx :D

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Also consider the example of Jesus' friend Lazarus. Where was he before Jesus resurrected him? He had died four days before. He was a righteous man and close friend of God's son, so if he was somewhere in a happy place awaiting his reward, why would Jesus bring him back to this life, only to get old or sick again, and die a second time? :shrug:

When Lazarus was loosed from his grave clothes, he said nothing about being anywhere. The 'soul' that was Lazarus was reanimated with the spirit (breath) of life and returned to his family. Every single resurrection performed in the Bible was back to life on earth....with the exception of Jesus.
John 3:13 says that no one went to heaven before he did. There is no teaching of an immortal soul in the Bible. In fact, the words "immortal" and "soul" do not appear side by side in one single passage of scripture.

When Jesus spoke about going to Lazarus he said that he was "sleeping" and that he was going to awaken him. (John 11:11) The disciples thought he meant literal sleep.

Paul too spoke of those "sleeping in death". (1 Thess 4:13-16)

It is a more pleasant thought to have our loved ones peacefully sleeping than being somewhere awake and aware of all that is happening down here on this earth. If they could see us, as a lot of people believe, then how could heaven be a happy place at all? Imagine them watching us make monumental mistakes and reaping the consequences? They would be heartbroken at seeing the mess that man is making of the home he was given as caretaker.

All are sleeping, "conscious of nothing" and will awaken...the righteous will be given life in the 'new earth', (2 Pet 3:13) and the unrighteous will be judged by how they conduct themselves after they are returned to life; by then satan and his demons will be in an abyss of complete inactivity and can no longer influence them.

Christ's sacrifice makes all that possible. He died so that we all can live. But obedience is the decider....just as it has always been. :yes:

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
Also consider the example of Jesus' friend Lazarus. Where was he before Jesus resurrected him? He had died four days before. He was a righteous man and close friend of God's son, so if he was somewhere in a happy place awaiting his reward, why would Jesus bring him back to this life, only to get old or sick again, and die a second time? :shrug:
When Lazarus was loosed from his grave clothes, he said nothing about being anywhere. The 'soul' that was Lazarus was reanimated with the spirit (breath) of life and returned to his family. Every single resurrection performed in the Bible was back to life on earth....with the exception of Jesus.
John 3:13 says that no one went to heaven before he did. There is no teaching of an immortal soul in the Bible. In fact, the words "immortal" and "soul" do not appear side by side in one single passage of scripture.
When Jesus spoke about going to Lazarus he said that he was "sleeping" and that he was going to awaken him. (John 11:11) The disciples thought he meant literal sleep.
Paul too spoke of those "sleeping in death". (1 Thess 4:13-16)
It is a more pleasant thought to have our loved ones peacefully sleeping than being somewhere awake and aware of all that is happening down here on this earth. If they could see us, as a lot of people believe, then how could heaven be a happy place at all? Imagine them watching us make monumental mistakes and reaping the consequences? They would be heartbroken at seeing the mess that man is making of the home he was given as caretaker.
....True....:yes:

Tranquil Servant,
In order to really understand what you are asking, you first need to know what death is. When God created Adam notice what is stated, at Gen 2:7, God created the man from the dust of the ground and blew into him the breath of life and the man became a living soul. Notice the man BECAME a living soul.
Unknown to the vast majority of people, even claimed Bible students is what the Bible actually says about life and death, Ecc 3:18-20, 9:5,6.10, Eze 18:4.20.
After Adam and Eve rebelled against God He said that they would RETURN to the ground, for DUST you are and to DUST you will return.
Another very important point: every living thing are called SOULS, Gen 1:20,21. The Hebrew word for souls is NEPHESH, snf if you hsve s concordance you will find that animals as well as men are called souls. Souls that do not obey God will die, Eze 18:4,20, Acts 3:23. The word soul is used to mean the individual, even used for God. If you look in a concordance you will find that soul is used for God at Prov 6:16.
The Bible tells us that everyone will stand before the throne of God, Rom 14:11,12.
Also we will all stand before the judgement of Christ, Rom 14:10. Notice that at John 5:22, the Bible says that God does no judging, but has given all the judging to the son.
Now, what this actually means is; When Jesus comes to judge the world of mankind at Armageddon, all those found to Know God and who obet the Gospel of Jesus will be found worthy to go into the Thousand Year Judgement Day, but all those who do not will be destroyed and go into the Lake of Fire, 2Thess 1:6-9, Matt 25:46, Rev 19:11-21, 2Pet 3:7. God, whose Personal name in English, is Jehovah is, of course the fnal Judge of everything!!! Everyone not written in the Book of Life goes into the Lake of Fire and Sulfur, which is a symbol for being out of existence for eternity, Rev 20_14,15 also we

:eek: It took me this long to figure this out, today I have had my eyes opened. I'm in my fourties and I could never figure this part out until you wrote it. Thanks a bunch. Now that I have read about Jesus Christ and resurrection it all makes so much sense.

Ha!!!! There is a god! Jesus is not taking away our sins, he is showing through resurrection that we will all be brought back, our bodies will have become dust but will rise again. We will become immortal. Ha!!! Think about it, Gary Ridgeway is a serial killer, all those killed will become alive again even after Gary has become dust, and than when all have been risen again, he will have to face those he has killed. Ahhh the way god works. I would hate to be those who think in death, like killing a bunch of people and than yourself will allow you to escape judgement.:yes:

We will all become immortals and have to know all, harsh. :rainbow1:

I'm somewhat Baptist in what I was raised believing.

I do believe in the resurrection and now I feel I understand the importance of it more than ever before.

Jesus is proof that we can come back from death. People actually have been brought back to death often once their heart stops. The 3 days grace before resurrection, Jesus had to prove suffering and death were real, and that a resurrection had occured to show the people this can happen and will happen again, only to all.

Hawkins

Christians will be put to a sleep. It is referred to as "sleep in Christ", or "enter God's rest". They don't feel time in this state so it makes not much difference that this moment you die the next moment the Judgment will come. Unbeliever will have to stay in the darkness till the Judgment Day comes. It is because God ever said the oath that "They can never enter my rest".

Some souls (such as Samuel) will be called to God's witness from this sleep state.