• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: They were banned!

onmybelief

I believe I mentioned this in another thread (I can't remember which it was). But a few weeks ago there was a gay couple who was banned from their church on the basis of the fact that they were gay. All I know about it is that somehow the pastor found out about it and forced them from the church. And if that weren't enough the Council of Bishops (the highest rank of the Methodist Church) is backing up the pastor's decision.:mad:

This decision just flew in the face of the "Open Hearts; Open Minds; Open doors" policy of the Methodist Church. And the ones who broke the policy are the ones who came up with it! Hypocrites!! I cannot believe they would just walk away from the very teachings the Methodists hold so dear! One being that everyone is invited to come to Christ and God, not just the ones who happen to fit certain criteria!:mad: :verymad:

What are your thoughts on this situation? As you probably have realized now I think it is an atrocity!

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
onmybelief said:
I believe I mentioned this in another thread (I can't remember which it was). But a few weeks ago there was a gay couple who was banned from their church on the basis of the fact that they were gay. All I know about it is that somehow the pastor found out about it and forced them from the church. And if that weren't enough the Council of Bishops (the highest rank of the Methodist Church) is backing up the pastor's decision.:mad:

This decision just flew in the face of the "Open Hearts; Open Minds; Open doors" policy of the Methodist Church. And the ones who broke the policy are the ones who came up with it! Hypocrites!! I cannot believe they would just walk away from the very teachings the Methodists hold so dear! One being that everyone is invited to come to Christ and God, not just the ones who happen to fit certain criteria!:mad: :verymad:

What are your thoughts on this situation? As you probably have realized now I think it is an atrocity!

It is an atrocity. And it's prejudice. One that is no different than racism. Hypocracy is rampant in organized religion. Which is why I don't affiliate myself with them.

w00t

A church banning a gay couple would probably have banned Jesus as well, because he may not have lived up to their preconceived ideas. This reminds me of a 'funny' I was sent last year.

A dog followed its master to a pentecostal church where the preacher thundered out his hell-fire sermons week after week. The church door was firmly shut on the dog. He settled down in the porch to await the end of the service. He felt a pat on his head and standing beside him was Jesus who said, "Nevermind buddy, I can't get in there either!"

A

angellous_evangellous

onmybelief said:

How you have described the situation certainly is an outrage.

I wonder if you have all the facts...

Endless

It's interesting but where exactly do you draw the line. Can the church allow Christians who are unrepentant Pedophiles to remain in the congregation? Can they take sunday school? Is this therefore racist? Where exactly do you draw the line?

This decision just flew in the face of the "Open Hearts; Open Minds; Open doors" policy of the Methodist Church.

Perhaps this just refers to the policy of anyone being welcome in the church to hear the gospel - perhaps this doesn't apply to those who once profess to be Christians, become members of the Church and yet carry on living in 'sin' as one might call it.
I really doubt they were forced from the church - but the minister in question probably made it clear to them that being gay was a sin and they needed to sort it out - couple felt they couldn't remain in the church and so were 'forced out' in that sense.
The minister does have a point since the Bible condemns Sodomy - homosexuality and classes it as a sin. Therefore this being the case if the minister upholds the word of God he is bound to flag them on this issue.
I certainly don't believe they were forced out of the church in the way that 'forced' seems to imply.

onmybelief

angellous_evangellous said:

You might be right. There ought to be some other side of the story. I could not imagine what it is to justify this though.

onmybelief

I certainly don't believe they were forced out of the church in the way that 'forced' seems to imply.

Every month, I believe, there is a newsletter that comes out and one of the stories was this one. The writers, editors, publishers etc. are all Methodists - some, if I am not mistaken, are bishops. And bishops were the ones who upeheld the decision - they used the words "forced out" in the article itself. I wish I could put this story here, but i have been unable to find it by Googling it.

w00t

I get very annoyed when people bracket homosexulity and paedophilia together as if they were one and the same, which of course they are not! Homosexuality is normal, paedophilia is not it is a crime!

Endless

I get very annoyed when people bracket homosexulity and paedophilia together as if they were one and the same, which of course they are not! Homosexuality is normal, paedophilia is not it is a crime!

I never bracketed them together - i merely asked where you draw the line. Can you have professing Christians living in sin and not being challenged concerning it? According to the Bible homosexuality is a sin, therefore it is not normal. If the Bible is the basis on which the church operates then they have a right to flag homosexuality.

Endless

In anycase paedophilia is not a crime - it is only when the attraction is acted upon and the children abused that there is a crime. So the question comes when you have a professing Christian in the church who admits to being a paedophile (just attracted to children) yet states he will never act upon it. Is he removed from the church though no crime has been committed? Where exactly is the line drawn? Attraction to children is a state of mind, just like homosexuality is a state of mind. Neither are genetic. Attraction to children is of course a serious state of mind because of the consequences it can lead to.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Endless said:
I never bracketed them together - i merely asked where you draw the line. Can you have professing Christians living in sin and not being challenged concerning it? According to the Bible homosexuality is a sin, therefore it is not normal. If the Bible is the basis on which the church operates then they have a right to flag homosexuality.

Great. Obesity is a sin. Killing people is a sin. Why aren't they telling overweight people to get out? Why aren't they telling combat active soilders to get out? I'll tell you why....because it's wrong! Passing judgement and condemnation is a sin. Draw the line and throw the finger pointers out too. Since they are persistent in their sin by passing judgement and condemning people.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Endless said:
In anycase paedophilia is not a crime - it is only when the attraction is acted upon and the children abused that there is a crime. So the question comes when you have a professing Christian in the church who admits to being a paedophile (just attracted to children) yet states he will never act upon it. Is he removed from the church though no crime has been committed? Where exactly is the line drawn? Attraction to children is a state of mind, just like homosexuality is a state of mind. Neither are genetic. Attraction to children is of course a serious state of mind because of the consequences it can lead to.

This is absurd. How can anyone even compare pedophilla and homosexuality together is mindboggling!:banghead3

One word: CONSENT! A child doesn't have a full comprehension of sex until puberty.

Homsexuality is a state of mind?! Neither are genetic?! :banghead3
How about gay people who've tried being straight but can't? Try and turn gay and you'll see where these people are coming from.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
angellous_evangellous said:

This was exactly what I was thinking.

onmybelief, I hope you don't take this personally, but you have levelled a charge of hypocrisy with very scant details. I'm not a member of the Methodist Church, but I am aware of their advertising campaign "Open Hearts; Open Minds; Open doors", and my first reaction is that their "higher ups" would not back a decision that went against that policy unless there were some other circumstances that lead to the local pastor's decsion.

I guess I'm saying I need some kind of corraborating evidence before I hang the Scarlet 'H' on anyone.

onmybelief

onmybelief, I hope you don't take this personally, but you have levelled a charge of hypocrisy with very scant details. I'm not a member of the Methodist Church, but I am aware of their advertising campaign "Open Hearts; Open Minds; Open doors", and my first reaction is that their "higher ups" would not back a decision that went against that policy unless there were some other circumstances that lead to the local pastor's decsion.

No I do not take it personally, CaptainX. I realize that there has to be other facts involved in the situation. What I wrote was a bit out of anger and frustration. And if those facts come to my attention I will certainly bring them up and admit I was too hasty to label them as hypocrites.

This is just a point that I try to make that all are invited to Christ no matter what your background may be.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia

I don't believe the situation was handled correctly. Were these two members of that church? If they were, the pastor should have had a private meeting with them, and kindly and calmly explain that homosexuality is a sin, and show them the Bible verses that back that up. If they refused to repent of the sin, they should have been disfellowshipped- but only after they refused to acknowledge that they are living in sin.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Seyorni said:
Wasn't there some objection made to the sort of reprobates Jesus was hanging out with?
Didn't he point out that his purpose was to preach to the sinners rather than the righteous?

:highfive: It's amazing that people who claim to follow Christ overlook this fact. YES! you're correct! The people that were giving Jesus a bunch crap for hanging out with sinners was the Pharisees. And as we can see by the subject of this post, Pharisee's still exist today.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
onmybelief said:
No I do not take it personally, CaptainX. I realize that there has to be other facts involved in the situation. What I wrote was a bit out of anger and frustration. And if those facts come to my attention I will certainly bring them up and admit I was too hasty to label them as hypocrites.
I appreciate your understanding the distinction and saying this. If the situation happened as you described it, I share your anger.
onmybelief said:
....This is just a point that I try to make that all are invited to Christ no matter what your background may be.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. When I read the New Testament, I don't get the impression that Jesus would turn anyone away.:)

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Didn't he point out that his purpose was to preach to the sinners rather than the righteous?

Absolutely! Jesus taught the truth to them. Which is what we should be doing for gay people. And the truth is that homosexuality is a sin.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
CaptainXeroid said:
I appreciate your understanding the distinction and saying this. If the situation happened as you described it, I share your anger.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. When I read the New Testament, I don't get the impression that Jesus would turn anyone away.:)

I wish more people would think like this.:shout