• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians, please answer this thread...

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
Hi,

I know most Christians on this forum are rather easy going, so I want to make sure you are all aware that I am NOT attacking you. This question is gaged more towards the general population of Christians, especially the more concerative fanatical ones. I was raised as one of these types of Christians and believe it 100% for many, many years. I simply want others opinions on this...

Question: Why are some Christians so closed minded to others religious beliefs. Some even want occultists, like myself, dead! Did God/Jesus/Holy Ghost not give every person the freedom of choice? God could have never given it to us but He chose to do it! Why do Christians feel they have the right to take away this God given right? What makes them superior to God?

Again, this is not an attack on you...I am just looking for your opinions. Thanks in advance!

doorknob

skeptical
maybe you don't want my answer but I was also raised to be a christian and left it behind.

Honestly I think this falls into psychology. I'm not sure there aren't many religions who don't have different demographics and don't agree in a way that makes them totally unified. Especially a religion that becomes world wide at some point.

No matter what any one says it is enevitable that religious teachings will change as it expands. It becomes a little less organized and as a result you see a split. But humans all have strong faith in their own belief systems so it is human nature to want to make others see things as you do.

It's just that humans are fallible and I don't see this as being unique to christians alone.

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
maybe you don't want my answer but I was also raised to be a christian and left it behind.

Honestly I think this falls into psychology. I'm not sure there aren't many religions who don't have different demographics and don't agree in a way that makes them totally unified. Especially a religion that becomes world wide at some point.

No matter what any one says it is enevitable that religious teachings will change as it expands. It becomes a little less organized and as a result you see a split. But humans all have strong faith in their own belief systems so it is human nature to want to make others see things as you do.

It's just that humans are fallible and I don't see this as being unique to christians alone.

You are right...other groups have this same problem. I ask more specifically towards Christians since I was once one and to see if anyone else felt the same way I did.

Sum1sGruj

Christians who try to dismantle other religions is a sin, plain and simple.
Jesus states to love thy neighbor. If it is God's will to have people answer for not being Christian, it is for God alone.

This has always been a big problem for me- certain Christians feeling they have the right to make such judgment calls on other people. Some argue that we must follow the old covenant, but there is a new covenant. You cannot go between both to serve a cause that only disrupts people. It's an insult to Jesus.
Heed him and the Commandments. The book of Leviticus isn't exactly the field guide for Christian belief.

Last edited:

doorknob

skeptical
Sum1gruj that is one of my main beefs with the bible and one reason I have left it. I have always thought that the old covenant was irrelevant after christ. So why do we keep it? The most important thing is christ's teachings! How can you even think other wise is beyond me! So I'm not sure why it was kept. The only answer is that the Vatican who was largely responsible from my understanding of it for determining what books were considered inspired by the holy spirit and which were not because there are many other books from that time period that could have been included.

stickngojuggalo

Sum1gruj that is one of my main beefs with the bible and one reason I have left it. I have always thought that the old covenant was irrelevant after christ. So why do we keep it? The most important thing is christ's teachings! How can you even think other wise is beyond me! So I'm not sure why it was kept. The only answer is that the Vatican who was largely responsible from my understanding of it for determining what books were considered inspired by the holy spirit and which were not because there are many other books from that time period that could have been included.

because some dude didn't like magic so he wrote "though shalt not suffer a witch to live" in the bible...

funny... all that stuff jeebus did sure sounds like magic to me...

Sum1sGruj

I believe the OT is important because it allows us to look at the big picture. It also lets us put together the pieces and compare/contrast how and why things are the way they are. From what I've gathered from the OT, it really brings out the dark corners and unrelenting grip of good and evil and the consequences that can spur from them.

But that is the most important thing to know about the OT- it's very hardened. God had Jesus make a new covenant and serve grace onto us, so the NT brings with it much grace.

doorknob

skeptical
the new testament is beautiful and I embrace the teachings but what christian actually employs them? Not very many at all. Non of them can remember that jesus did not even make a call for justice at any point. He said if some one slaps you turn the other cheek, and if some one steals your coat also give him your shirt. How many times do christians give more to the person stealing from them? How many times do they turn the other cheek?

the also fail to realize that in addition to the ten commandments they also are to follow the beatitudes (Sorry if that is spelled wrong) But I never hear christians even talk about them. Very rarely.

Plato

As Neophyte notes there are different groups or denominations in Christianity. Some of them rely on the Old Testament, (usually only the 1st books), and seem to ignore the New Testament (and rest of the Bible). Many would argue this is a small minority in Christianity (only numerous in certain parts of the USA) and mainline Christianity would regard wishing someones death for their beliefs or even condemning them to be huge sins, and against the direct orders of Jesus, who said things like...judgement is in the hands of the Father alone, never judge others, or he'll use the same low standard to judge you...and..as someone else posted... to practice understanding, brotherhood, and forgiveness.

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
the new testament is beautiful and I embrace the teachings but what christian actually employs them? Not very many at all. Non of them can remember that jesus did not even make a call for justice at any point. He said if some one slaps you turn the other cheek, and if some one steals your coat also give him your shirt. How many times do christians give more to the person stealing from them? How many times do they turn the other cheek?

the also fail to realize that in addition to the ten commandments they also are to follow the beatitudes (Sorry if that is spelled wrong) But I never hear christians even talk about them. Very rarely.

Very good post!

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
As Neophyte notes there are different groups or denominations in Christianity. Some of them rely on the Old Testament, (usually only the 1st books), and seem to ignore the New Testament (and rest of the Bible). Many would argue this is a small minority in Christianity (only numerous in certain parts of the USA) and mainline Christianity would regard wishing someones death for their beliefs or even condemning them to be huge sins, and against the direct orders of Jesus, who said things like...judgement is in the hands of the Father alone, never judge others, or he'll use the same low standard to judge you...and..as someone else posted... to practice understanding, brotherhood, and forgiveness.

Plato is correct. It is a small faction that wishes death on occultists. Heck, my family wished death on other Christians they felt taught heresy as well. It is quite a mess really...

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Hi,

I know most Christians on this forum are rather easy going, so I want to make sure you are all aware that I am NOT attacking you. This question is gaged more towards the general population of Christians, especially the more concerative fanatical ones. I was raised as one of these types of Christians and believe it 100% for many, many years. I simply want others opinions on this...

Question: Why are some Christians so closed minded to others religious beliefs. Some even want occultists, like myself, dead! Did God/Jesus/Holy Ghost not give every person the freedom of choice? God could have never given it to us but He chose to do it! Why do Christians feel they have the right to take away this God given right? What makes them superior to God?

Again, this is not an attack on you...I am just looking for your opinions. Thanks in advance!

Whenever I see the statement "this is not an attack" I expect an insulting or generalizing question and I am never disappointed .:sarcastic

As for the question, if someone (who has faith or has no faith) is closed minded, I really have no idea why. If someone (again, who has faith or has no faith) rejects another's faith, I have no idea why, either.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Christians who try to dismantle other religions is a sin, plain and simple.
Jesus states to love thy neighbor. If it is God's will to have people answer for not being Christian, it is for God alone.

This has always been a big problem for me- certain Christians feeling they have the right to make such judgment calls on other people. Some argue that we must follow the old covenant, but there is a new covenant. You cannot go between both to serve a cause that only disrupts people. It's an insult to Jesus.
Heed him and the Commandments. The book of Leviticus isn't exactly the field guide for Christian belief.
Actually, the New covenant says it is a continuation of the Old covenant.
personally i think covenants are silly.

doorknob

skeptical
If you didn't notice it I'm not sure that is giving. it would be more impressive if they did it while making an effort to do it. I do understand though as I am not very likely to help some one if it puts myself in danger and obviously christ gave his life to help us (according to the bible). That is very noble but as a human it is a hard standard to live up to that is for sure. But I try my best I still fail at it and I can think of a few of my failures for today alone.

Also it does bring in to question as to when one IS suppose to die for the sake of others literally.

Honestly I do try to live up to christ's standards (because I find them to be impressive) even though I do not believe in heaven or hell. I do not need a reward or a punishment to motivate me to do good, I would choose to do good every time. But I can not live up to my own standards for good. am I also a hypocrite for that?

sorry getting off topic.

it is my understanding that the new testament overturns the old testament. that is why I question if it is even necessary. Also how do you know which books were truly inspired when a man decided on it. There are other books so what caused them to be thrown out and not the old testament. But we do need a few of those ten commandments. I think there are three that may be unnecessary if I recall correctly. The rest of them are evils that the rest of the world also subscribes to as being evil.

Sum1sGruj

it is my understanding that the new testament overturns the old testament.

This is true. The NT stamps out the book of Leviticus for the most part.

See, Leviticus follows after Exodus, and is practically an instruction manual. Everything you've heard from sacrifice, eye for eye, casting out lepers, etc., it all comes from that book. All these things have to do with balance and exaction. Jesus became our exaction, and so these things are no longer needed.
The Ten Commandments were in Exodus, and were for all men, not just the Levites.

Last edited:

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Once Evil, always Evil.
and yes. Yeshua DID say that He was a CONTINUATION of the demonic yaweh laws.
"let he without sin cast the first stone" is a forgery. and either way Yeshua should have cast those stones, yet failed to.
Yaweh's flipflopping shows its failure as a perfect being.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
Whenever I see the statement "this is not an attack" I expect an insulting or generalizing question and I am never disappointed .:sarcastic

As for the question, if someone (who has faith or has no faith) is closed minded, I really have no idea why. If someone (again, who has faith or has no faith) rejects another's faith, I have no idea why, either.

I am truly sorry if you felt attacked. This was in no way ment to be offensive. My appologies...

newhope101

Hi,

I think one may liken the concept to joining a club. If you do not like the rules, don't join. To recieve the greatest promise on offer, ascension to heaven after death, one must accept Jesus and undertake to obey the rules. God makes them up and we do not have to like them. A sinner on the cross repented and was told he would be with Jesus in Paradise today. Hence God is very mercifull.

If you don't cut it in this life, then you'll get another chance in the resurection of the dead.

The biggest fallacy is many faiths have an over developed sence of self importance and believe they get to change the rules as it suits them eg pope who declared himself omnipotent. Christians do not get to change the rules eg fornication, adultery, homosexuality.

The bible is very clear that God is very jealous. You cannot bow down to any other God. If you accept Jesus and try to show this through works, I do not think it matters what faith you call yourself or even if you align with none in particular.

Jesus told his people to obey the law in so far as it does not compromise Gods word. He called the religious leaders sons of vipers and from their father the Devil and told people not to emulate their excesses of greed and places of honour at the table.

Is it fair? Does it suit you? Do we see things differently?...is all irrelevant because God gets to make the rules and has the power to enforce them. We cannot argue our way into heaven.

Not all Christians believe in the exclusivity clause.

Biblestudent_007

Speaking of the OP, As a Christian I invite each individual ual to study and explore every religion see which one is right for them.