• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians or Former Christians: Did Hell Influence Your Conversion?

Did Hell Influence Your Conversion?

• Total voters

Smoke

Done here.
New Life said:
It definatly did with me, when I came under the terrors of God's law and realised God's wrath was upon me, it was like being woken up from a world where I could do whatever I liked and God would accept me to being in a world where God's wrath was upon me and that He did not accept me in my current state, I saw everything through different eyes. It was the the thought that God saw me as filthy and defiled by my sins (as I truly was) that drove me to conversion because I so wanted to be accepted by Him, the consequence of my defilement meant to me that this was a most horrible position to be in and one I didn't want to be in for a moment longer.
To me, that seems tragic.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
MidnightBlue said:
To me, that seems tragic.

I quite agree. One should convert for love of God. Any other motive is quite sad and fear of hell is the saddest one of all. It's like saying that I love my parents because I'm scared of being hit if I don't. Tragic is the only word for it.

James

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I chose the last choice because I thought it was funny. You know I love you, right?

The fear of hell was not the reason why I gave my life to Christ. I gave my life to Christ because I desired Him in my life and realized my need for Him. After years of rebelling, I spiritually hit rock bottom and realized that I DID believe that Christ was the truth and the way.

Avoiding Hell is a nice perk. But I went to Christ out of love.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Buttercup said:
As you were contemplating becoming a Christian, did the thought of ending up in Hell influence your decision to become a Christian?

Was part of the reason you converted to Christianity because you were fearful of being sent to Hell if you didnt accept these teachings?

I know for many of you this will be a hard question to answer because youve been a Christian so long you cant remember. All I ask is for you to take a truthful look at your reasons for becoming a Christian and answer if the fear of Hell was one of them.

Poll to follow......Thank you! :)

You know my stance on this, so I had to go with the "Would you get over this hell thing already Buttercup!?! You're driving me freakin nuts!"......but you're not driving me nuts.:)

robtex

Veteran Member
I became a christian at age 17 (ironically from peer-pressure) and stopped at the age of 19 after reading most of the kjv. Hell wasn't really on the radar but the bible was offensive to me on moral grounds and the local church groups prejudice were taxing on my own perception of morality. The church group I belonged to for instance dismissed an epileptic because they were convinced he was possessed by a demon. That was the last straw for me and Christainty.

In hindsight Bernard Russell's essay "Why I am not a Christian" presents one of the best moral arguements to me against the religion of Christianity. His thoughts are a large reason why I don't morally feel aligned with Christianty. Here is a link to an essay from the book "Why I am not a Christian"
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/russell0.htm
(footnote 1)

In answer to the original question it wasn't hell but rather,

1) blind obedience
2) carrott and the stick
3) advocation of violence in death in God's name

I see hell as part of the "carrott and the stick".

footnote 1:
http://www.amazon.com/Why-Not-Christian-Religion-Subjects/dp/0671203231/sr=1-4/qid=1159286737/ref=sr_1_4/002-0658597-6444069?ie=UTF8&s=books

Buttercup

Veteran Member
New Life said:
It definatly did with me, when I came under the terrors of God's law and realised God's wrath was upon me, it was like being woken up from a world where I could do whatever I liked and God would accept me to being in a world where God's wrath was upon me and that He did not accept me in my current state, I saw everything through different eyes. It was the the thought that God saw me as filthy and defiled by my sins (as I truly was) that drove me to conversion because I so wanted to be accepted by Him, the consequence of my defilement meant to me that this was a most horrible position to be in and one I didn't want to be in for a moment longer. The rest is history.
I must say that your post scared the crap out of me! If you want to scare someone to Christ....just tell them your story.

I hope things have changed for you now. Because although I am questioning much about Christianity these days, I do know Christ wants you to come to him in love, not fear.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
I can quite honestly (and did) say no. You've probably seen me post on my understanding of soteriology before and so this is unlikely to surprise you.

James
Yes, James you have. :) Except that Orthodox Christianity is a mystery to many Americans. I would love you to start a thread talking about doctrine and soteriology. :D

Simon Gnosis

The threat of Hell was the main reason I rejected Christianity.

To me it is a vile doctrine that uses fear as a goad.

There is enough to fear from this world already.

The only emotion that grows from fear in me is defiance...

I would rather burn........

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
standing_alone said:
...but it wasn't a fear of Hell so much as it was a dislike of the concept of Hell - that those that never heard and accepted God's word would be damned...
Who ever explained the concept of Hell did you a great disservice. If you rejected Christianity over a misapplied concept of Hell....:sorry1:

I've been going to the same church my entire life, except for a few years of wandering, and we have NEVER tried to 'scare' people into joining or staying with the fear of Hell. I don't want to put down anyone's faith, but when I hear people talk so strongly about this, the only thing I can think is that you're not talking about Chrstianity as Jesus would want it.

standing_alone

CaptainXeroid said:
Who ever explained the concept of Hell did you a great disservice. If you rejected Christianity over a misapplied concept of Hell....:sorry1:

Oh, I'm sure that the church I went to has done me (and others) many great disservices, but the concept of Hell was far from the only reason I rejected Christianity.

Simon Gnosis

Victor said:
Hell only became scary when I began to love God. Other then that it has no bearing.

Being an ex catholic Victor I am not sure I agree...Hell was always scary, especially when I thought me and God hated each other.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Simon Gnosis said:
Being an ex catholic Victor I am not sure I agree...Hell was always scary, especially when I thought me and God hated each other.

If I hated God, why would Hell seem so horrible?

uu_sage

Come outer from Christianity. Hell creates a sinister and bloodthirsty God who has no compassion or love for its creation. It's impossible for finite beings, to commit finite offenses against an infinite God. Further this idea is born of fear, and destruction. I also left mainstream Christianity because of blind faith, the Great Commission, discrimination against LGBTs, and the snobbish exclusivism. If anything, I believe the force of the universe (by whatever name its called) is love. That we are born in love and beauty and we return in love.

I leave this post with the wisdom of John Murray, the first Universalist in America, "You may possess only a small light, but uncover it, let it shine, use it in order to bring more light and understanding to the hearts and minds of men and women. Give them not Hell, but hope and courage. Do not push them deeper into their theological despair, but preach the kindness and everlasting love of God"

BFD_Zayl

well, of course im not christian, but i wish to make a comment, a religion ruled by fear is not much of a religion.

Random

My own faith was born out of Christianity mostly, but I have incorporated the idea of a temporary Hell into it, so the prospect of fear of it had very little to do with my apostasy. My vote reflects this.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I was scared I would go to hell if I didn't get baptized, but it was more of loving God so much and wanting to serve him and worship him forevermore.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Godlike said:
My own faith was born out of Christianity mostly, but I have incorporated the idea of a temporary Hell into it, so the prospect of fear of it had very little to do with my apostasy. My vote reflects this.
Godlike have you ever talked about your beliefs anywhere on the forum in particular? I'd be curious to read about you. :)

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
The Christian version of Hell was one of the reasons I left the faith. Eternal torture is an evil and idiotic idea and it boggles my mind that fundies can't see the flaws in it.
I actually still believe in Hell, though I see it more as a giant rehab center. A second chance, if you will.

Hacker

Definitely had an impact on my decision(hell)! What loving God would EVER allow his children to burn in hell fire for eternity? It's absolutely sick!:eek: