• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians only: Judgment?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Ephesians 2:8-10 says that salvation is by faith alone, nothing to do with works - that your faith in Jesus Christ determines what happens to you after you die

However, John 5:22-30, Acts 10:42-17, 17:31, 2 Corinthians 5:10 all say that everyone will be judged and that the judgment people receive will determine what happens to their soul in the afterlife

So which is it? Are we justified by faith alone, or by how Christ judges us?

Or do they mean that we are judged according to whether or not we've accepted Christ? But the thing is with that is that 2 Corinthians 5:10 mentions "good and bad" as factors in how we will be judged

Or does Christ only judge those who have not accepted Christ as their Lord and saviour?

If so, what happens to good people who have not accepted him?

What's going on?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Ephesians 2:8-10 says that salvation is by faith alone, nothing to do with works - that your faith in Jesus Christ determines what happens to you after you die

However, John 5:22-30, Acts 10:42-17, 17:31, 2 Corinthians 5:10 all say that everyone will be judged and that the judgment people receive will determine what happens to their soul in the afterlife

Or do they mean that we are judged according to whether or not we've accepted Christ? But the thing is with that is that 2 Corinthians 5:10 mentions "good and bad" as factors in how we will be judged

Or does Christ only judge those who have not accepted Christ as their Lord and saviour?

What's going on?
There are different types of judgments. Not all judgments are bad.

The first judgment is whether or not you are in the book of life. Salvation, indeed, is by faith alone and not by works... it is a gift of God.

Having now entered into God's Kingdom, the next judgment has to do with obedience.

1 Cor 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

This is not a bad thing. The word "fire" is just an analogy applied to "wood, hay and stubble". Those things that we did to impress people and not for the glory of God. Those things we did for our ego but not for God's Kingdom.

What is left, then, is those good works that to God are gold, silver and precocious stones that were done to build on the Kingdom foundation of Jesus Christ.

What the reward is? I'm not sure. Is it ruling on earth later? Possibly. But whatever it is, we must still have the right heart now and not for our own ego of "the reward for tomorrow."

Last edited:

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
Eddi, why is Christianity boring? (see your signature)
Now that all the refugees arrive at churches it is all but boring, I think.
Personally, I find that my personal life isn't boring either.
Thomas

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Eddi, why is Christianity boring? (see your signature)
Now that all the refugees arrive at churches it is all but boring, I think.
Personally, I find that my personal life isn't boring either.
Thomas
I don't think it is boring, not at all, I think it's endlessly fascinating

But in comparison to some of the crazy stuff I used to believe it most certainly is boring!

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Soteriology is one of the most complex branches of Christian theology.
Augustine of Hippo dedicated so many of his works against Pelagius (my theological beliefs).
It deals with understanding what the Apostles and the Evangelists really meant, and why certain passages contradict one another.
I do believe all theologians say the Truth...so each of them speaks the Truth, or one part of it.
Faith in Christ necessarily produces good works. But as Paul said, good works are not merits; they must be the reflection of the Faith. On the other hand it is right to affirm that I cannot comprehend how good people can naturally do good works, even if they don't believe in Jesus Christ.

LightofTruth

What's going on?
No one is saved apart from Christ. It doesn't matter how "good" they are. No one is righteous, says the Scripture.
Those apart from Christ have been judged already. They were condemned to die the death of Adam.
That means they die and go to the grave and are never heard from again.
That's the first class of people.

Then there are those who are in Christ. Who have believed the gospel and been baptized into Christ.
Among those are the tares and the wheat. The faithful and the unfaithful.
These have escaped the condemnation of Adam's sin and will be raised from the dead. Some to life eternal(the faithful) and others will face a second death.

Paul explains that the faithful ones will he raised with a spiritual body. A body free from sin and death. Of which a second death is impossible.

The ones who had not remained faithful will be raised in shame and contempt having a body subject to a second death.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Soteriology is one of the most complex branches of Christian theology.
Augustine of Hippo dedicated so many of his works against Pelagius (my theological beliefs).
It deals with understanding what the Apostles and the Evangelists really meant, and why certain passages contradict one another.
I do believe all theologians say the Truth...so each of them speaks the Truth, or one part of it.
Faith in Christ necessarily produces good works. But as Paul said, good works are not merits; they must be the reflection of the Faith. On the other hand it is right to affirm that I cannot comprehend how good people can naturally do good works, even if they don't believe in Jesus Christ.
Beautifully said!

Thief

Rogue Theologian

What's going on?
the Carpenter is my Inspiration

the parables ARE sufficient

and without reflection upon His teachings
He will not find His reflection.....in you

you could be left standing.......wherever you fell

pearl

But as Paul said, good works are not merits; they must be the reflection of the Faith.

38. According to Catholic understanding, good works, made possible by grace and the working of the Holy Spirit, contribute to growth in grace, so that the righteousness that comes from God is preserved and communion with Christ is deepened. When Catholics affirm the "meritorious" character of good works, they wish to say that, according to the biblical witness, a reward in heaven is promised to these works. Their intention is to emphasize the responsibility of persons for their actions, not to contest the character of those works as gifts, or far less to deny that justification always remains the unmerited gift of grace.

2. "Together we confess: By grace alone, in faith in Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works" (JD 15). (from the Joint Declaration on Justification) statement by Lutheran, Roman Catholics.
Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification by the Lutheran World - (cin.org)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
38. According to Catholic understanding, good works, made possible by grace and the working of the Holy Spirit, contribute to growth in grace, so that the righteousness that comes from God is preserved and communion with Christ is deepened. When Catholics affirm the "meritorious" character of good works, they wish to say that, according to the biblical witness, a reward in heaven is promised to these works. Their intention is to emphasize the responsibility of persons for their actions, not to contest the character of those works as gifts, or far less to deny that justification always remains the unmerited gift of grace.

2. "Together we confess: By grace alone, in faith in Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works" (JD 15). (from the Joint Declaration on Justification) statement by Lutheran, Roman Catholics.
Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification by the Lutheran World - (cin.org)

I was raised Catholic...I do know what the Catechism says.:)
I was just trying to empathize with the theologians who believe in sola fide.

pearl

The possible match is that if one has the faith they will do the works. Paul stated that faith without works is dead.

I think if taken in context there is no real contradiction between Paul and James.

[2:14–26] The theme of these verses is the relationship of faith and works (deeds). It has been argued that the teaching here contradicts that of Paul (see especially Rom 4:5–6). The problem can only be understood if the different viewpoints of the two authors are seen. Paul argues against those who claim to participate in God’s salvation because of their good deeds as well as because they have committed themselves to trust in God through Jesus Christ (Paul’s concept of faith). Paul certainly understands, however, the implications of true faith for a life of love and generosity (see Gal 5:6, 13–15). The author of James is well aware that proper conduct can only come about with an authentic commitment to God in faith (Jas 2:18, 26). Many think he was seeking to correct a misunderstanding of Paul’s view.

pearl

I was raised Catholic...I do know what the Catechism says.:)
I was just trying to empathize with the theologians who believe in sola fide.

I understand, but I did not refer to the CCC, but to the Joint Declaration between some of the Lutheran churches and the Catholic Church on the Doctrine of Justification.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think if taken in context there is no real contradiction between Paul and James.

I agree, and the "mix-up" may be do to Paul's frequent use of dichotomies that's characteristic of his Greek education, thus often not meant to be taken literally.

Colt

What's going on?
Faith in God is the only requirement for salvation.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Faith in God is the only requirement for salvation.
As long as this faith in God involves living out of that faith and not just having some politically-correct beliefs about God. Christianity is a lifestyle, thus not just having some nice thoughts, imo.