• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only: Explaining the Trinity

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It seems to me anyway that the main point of contention between Christianity, Islam and Judaism ( and to be fair, some types of Christianity) is the Concept of the Trinity. I would like to see an explanation for the Trinity that does not look like it is teaching more than one God.
Read the Nicene Creed.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I have read it. To be clear, I am not anti - Trinity. But the concept is a bit confusing within a monotheistic religion.
I think that’s because we tend to anthropomorphize God, that is, we tend to conceptualize God “like us.” And, since we are each individuals, each with our own physical body, it’s really difficult for us to think of our congregations and families as organic wholes — “things” in and of themselves, of which each of us is an integral part.

It makes sense to me to think of it as “God expressed in community.” Three Persons, each one fully God, and all three together fully God. It’s hard for us to imagine God like that, because we’re not like that. The Trinity is something we have to hold very gently, very loosely. We have to realize that it, largely, is a metaphor, and metaphors can’t be sharply defined — just as the Trinity cannot be sharply defined. If we try, we only end up overthinking, and the essence of the metaphor is lost.