• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians & Muslims

There seems to be a lack of Christians and Muslims in the 'General Religious Debates' part of this forum. Being the two largest religious groups in the world, you would think that they both would be able to argue their point very well after 1400 - 2000 years of practice. Yet that seems not to be the case. Could anyone explain why? I expect Christians and Muslims will ignore this topic, for the same reason they ignore all other GRD. They can not defend themselves when confronted with reality.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Islam is more theologically sound then Christianity which I will say out of personal experience after being an adherent of both.

The primary reason for these debates not occurring is that generally Islam trumps Christianity on the theological debate of Judeo continuity while Christianity does not. This usually resorts to Christians using the terrorist paranoia tactic.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
What within Islam deems it more theologically sound?

And the real reason is because they probably hate loosing to the Atheists in certain kinds of debates. Also debating for some will create a challenge to their fath that they are no comfortable with.

Rapture Era

There seems to be a lack of Christians and Muslims in the 'General Religious Debates' part of this forum. Being the two largest religious groups in the world, you would think that they both would be able to argue their point very well after 1400 - 2000 years of practice. Yet that seems not to be the case. Could anyone explain why? I expect Christians and Muslims will ignore this topic, for the same reason they ignore all other GRD. They can not defend themselves when confronted with reality.
:rolleyes: Are you a trouble maker?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I see a lot of Christians and a lot of Muslims here.

I don't try to get people to believe in God, in addition to being against the rules, it is also a waste of time. What I seem to mostly debate is about misconceptions about my faith or generalizations about my faith. I originally came here to learn more about my own faith and to learn about other people's faiths.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Islam is more theologically sound then Christianity which I will say out of personal experience after being an adherent of both.

The primary reason for these debates not occurring is that generally Islam trumps Christianity on the theological debate of Judeo continuity while Christianity does not. This usually resorts to Christians using the terrorist paranoia tactic.

We DO NOT!!!

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
What within Islam deems it more theologically sound?

And the real reason is because they probably hate loosing to the Atheists in certain kinds of debates. Also debating for some will create a challenge to their fath that they are no comfortable with.

Its depiction of god in accordance to Judaic customs. It has no confusing trinity for starters :D. It also has less contradictions as well.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Its depiction of god in accordance to Judaic customs. It has no confusing trinity for starters :D. It also has less contradictions as well.
The first may be true. The second is definitly true. The third I'm not so convinced about. Its probably true but mainly because most of the koran has a single author while the bible is made up of dozens.

Pastek

Sunni muslim

We disscussed many times, maybe you missed those posts.

You can also look at the One-on-One Debates here, you'll see that there's many christian-muslim's debates : One-on-One Debates - Religious Education Forum

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
There seems to be a lack of Christians and Muslims in the 'General Religious Debates' part of this forum. Being the two largest religious groups in the world, you would think that they both would be able to argue their point very well after 1400 - 2000 years of practice. Yet that seems not to be the case. Could anyone explain why?
Sure. I'll tell you why.

It's because as soon as a Christian or Muslim posts a message, it will be twisted, distorted, and misconstrued. They will have non-sequiturs thrown at them left right and centre, they will be accused of things they have not said. They will be "asked" if they support something horrible, and if they take issue with it, they will be accused of being over-sensitive or being offended for nothing, with claims that it's because they really support it.

They will be overwhelmed with posters looking through their posts with a fine-tooth comb to try to find something, anything to use against them. Things will be twisted so they can ridicule.

IF something is posted with which folks can't argue against AND can't be ridiculed or distorted, IT WILL be ignored.

The discussion will end up being about how a Christian or Muslim has to accept creationism or they're not "real" Christians or Muslims. People will state how evolution is fact, and if it's agreed with, then the response will be "SO WHY GENESIS?!?!?!?!!111ONEOENOENEONEFOUR!?!?!?!". "Poetry", "symbolism", "allegory" WILL be brought up, and it WILL be ignored and dismissed. They are NOT acceptable answers. "YOU'RE JUST CHERRY PICKING" WILL be the reply.

People WILL argue against a strawman. Opposition to this WILL mean "cherry picking".
Ignorance about religions and religious teachings WILL abound.

There WILL be subtle insults thrown in, which skirt JUST outside of the rules.

Christians and Muslims WILL be compared and joined with homophobes. Christians and Muslims WILL be asked if they support terrorism and so on. No will not be accepted as an answer. Then they're hypocrites.

And if they complain about how they don't like it, they will be told to grow up. Stop whining. Over-reacting. And so on.

The religion will be called fake.
They will be called hypocrites.
They will be bullied by multiple posters.
If they defend themselves, the thread will result in an argument between two or three people. The responses will be one liners.

There will be nothing constructive.
Nothing interesting.
Nothing new.
Just the same, old, boring ********.

I expect Christians and Muslims will ignore this topic, for the same reason they ignore all other GRD. They can not defend themselves when confronted with reality.
And THIS is why. This. Every. *******. Day.

What's the point in responding to people who don't want to learn?
What's the point in responding to people who only want to bash religions and religious folk?
What's the point in wasting time doing this?

Rapture Era

Sure. I'll tell you why.

It's because as soon as a Christian or Muslim posts a message, it will be twisted, distorted, and misconstrued. They will have non-sequiturs thrown at them left right and centre, they will be accused of things they have not said. They will be "asked" if they support something horrible, and if they take issue with it, they will be accused of being over-sensitive or being offended for nothing, with claims that it's because they really support it.

They will be overwhelmed with posters looking through their posts with a fine-tooth comb to try to find something, anything to use against them. Things will be twisted so they can ridicule.

IF something is posted with which folks can't argue against AND can't be ridiculed or distorted, IT WILL be ignored.

The discussion will end up being about how a Christian or Muslim has to accept creationism or they're not "real" Christians or Muslims. People will state how evolution is fact, and if it's agreed with, then the response will be "SO WHY GENESIS?!?!?!?!!111ONEOENOENEONEFOUR!?!?!?!". "Poetry", "symbolism", "allegory" WILL be brought up, and it WILL be ignored and dismissed. They are NOT acceptable answers. "YOU'RE JUST CHERRY PICKING" WILL be the reply.

People WILL argue against a strawman. Opposition to this WILL mean "cherry picking".

Christians and Muslims WILL be compared and joined with homophobes. Christians and Muslims WILL be asked if they support terrorism and so on. No will not be accepted as an answer. Then they're hypocrites.

And if they complain about how they don't like it, they will be told to grow up. Stop whining. Over-reacting. And so on.

If they defend themselves, the thread will result in an argument between two or three people. The responses will be one liners.

Nothing interesting.
Nothing new.

What's the point in responding to people who only want to bash religions and religious folk?
Talk about hitting the nail on the head! You are spot on!
Thank you!:clap

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Sure. I'll tell you why.

Nothing interesting.
Nothing new.

:clap

I wanted to frubal this and as soon as I am able to, I am going to . You hit the nail right on the head. :)

challupa

Sure. I'll tell you why.

Nothing interesting.
Nothing new.

While I agree that this does happen, doesn't it put you into a 'victim' mentality? Is that a good place to be? Also, shouldn't that be expected to some degree when religions really have nothing beyond faith to back up their beliefs? It seems reasonable that others would want to have concrete answers to their questions. It seems to me that it is more a frustration on the behalf of people of religions with their own inability to explain their beliefs that are based on faith in a more concrete, provable way.

AmbiguousGuy

But rationalists and other religionists face the same negative debate behavior, and yet they continue to debate.

Not that I agree with the OP's assumptions. Just saying.

Personally, I debate so that i'll never fear anything in my head... among other reasons.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
While I agree that this does happen, doesn't it put you into a 'victim' mentality? Is that a good place to be?
What makes you think I'm Christian or Muslim?

And I'm aware this happens.
No, it isn't a 'victim' mentality. It's an observation, and one which has been frequently verified over and over.

Also, shouldn't that be expected to some degree when religions really have nothing beyond faith to back up their beliefs? It seems reasonable that others would want to have concrete answers to their questions. It seems to me that it is more a frustration on the behalf of people of religions with their own inability to explain their beliefs that are based on faith in a more concrete, provable way.
It should be expected that someone should have an understanding of how faith works, especially on a religious discussion and education forum.

But rationalists and other religionists face the same negative debate behavior, and yet they continue to debate.
And it's definitely more frequent from the non-theist non-religious camp here.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Or perhaps they choose not to waste their time responding to adolescent jibes.

Sure. I'll tell you why.

This is very true. It seems that the majority of posters here are left-wing or liberal, and as with any herd mentality, those not agreeing with the majority will be shouted down.

A lot of debaters here, especially he anti-Christian or anti-Muslim ones seem to be counting on the "stupidity" of the other side, hoping that their opponent will be ignorant of the topic. If the Christian or Muslim debater is well-versed in what they have to say, the the atheists will either distort what was said, or in many cases play stupid or pretend not to understand.

Failing that, the topic gets changed, and huge leaps and bounds of logic are applied to Christian and Muslim holy texts. The atheists will speak in glittering generalities, which if generally true they claim, will immediately be applied to entirely different matters, so as to set up straw-men and knock them down.

Of course if the Christians point this out, then they will be accused of trying to change the terms of the debate or being unreasonable. In the event that you really come up trumps in such a way that there is no way out, you'll just be ignored.