• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians are crazy - a worldly view

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hallucinations or voice is not enough for the diagnosis of mental illness.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
He stopped taking his meds last year, after 10 months of really bad stuff he was hospitalised for 6 weeks. Now he takes his meds again and is a different person.
I wish my brother would be hospitalised. Maybe he will be one day. Meanwhile, I would hate hate hate to be him.

Kathryn

He stopped taking his meds last year, after 10 months of really bad stuff he was hospitalised for 6 weeks. Now he takes his meds again and is a different person.
Thank goodness he is back on the meds. My brother's doctor and NAMI both told me that the meds are likely to eventually stop working but I don't know how that would affect your brother. Heck I don't even know what meds he is on, how much he weighs, etc. Apparently that all means a lot. Who knows. Surely not me because I am not my brother's trustee and not going to be.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank goodness he is back on the meds. My brother's doctor and NAMI both told me that the meds are likely to eventually stop working but I don't know how that would affect your brother. Heck I don't even know what meds he is on, how much he weighs, etc. Apparently that all means a lot. Who knows. Surely not me because I am not my brother's trustee and not going to be.
If he keeps getting off meds, they might eventually don't do the trick to restore to normal. It's a gamble each time and lucky if meds restore sanity.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That said, meds are tough in the start. It gets better over time. However, there is a psychological component which means they need to do stuff on their own. Set goals. Try to achieve them in steps that are small and not too big.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Meanwhile, I would hate hate hate to be him.
Try to not think like that. Try to be a friend and be happy with him and make him happy. The best therapy for people with schizophrenia is that of friendship.

Kathryn

Try to not think like that. Try to be a friend and be happy with him and make him happy. The best therapy for people with schizophrenia is that of friendship.
I personally think he's pretty dangerous so I am not going to be friends with him. I have kept the door open though, but he is going to have to stay within healthy boundaries, which he's not right now. And I have pretty loose boundaries when it comes to him! But no. Not rlght now.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I personally think he's pretty dangerous so I am not going to be friends with him. I have kept the door open though, but he is going to have to stay within healthy boundaries, which he's not right now.
Has the doctor told you he is dangerous?

Kathryn

Has the doctor told you he is dangerous?
Listen, he committed several felonies the last time he acted like this, and he spent many months in the state hospital and incarcerated. So I am not inclined to find out if he's dangerous or not this time. Last time, about a month before he completely lost it, he circled my car over and over again in a parking lot, hanging out the window, yelling at me. I don't even know what he was yelling. Anyway, you know what the police did? They told his wife (now his ex wife) to pick him up and they sent him home! They didn't want to bother with him.

I don't know what the doctor told my parents. All I know is that they were both scared of him, and personally I think they were right.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
but he is going to have to stay within healthy boundaries, which he's not right now.

That's where my brother in law was. I don't know about near you but in the uk being a danger to yourself or someone else is grounds for hospitalisation.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Listen, he committed several felonies the last time he acted like this, and he spent many months in the state hospital and incarcerated. So I am not inclined to find out if he's dangerous or not this time.
Oh I see. I'm sorry.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I totally agree with the comments of @ChristineM in post 2. I used to do work with a charity that brought me into contact with people suffering from mental illness. During training, the teacher gave us a quote to remember, "Neurotics build castles in the air, psychotics move into them." In the case of the latter, listening to their own experience can be a very risky and unreliable activity for them and would certainly not be helped by attempting to impose a biblical interpretation on it.
Sorry, I know you're making a serious point but I had to give a funny emoji for that quote!

Heyo

Veteran Member
I believe I do not make foolish assumptions.
Lol, who actually lives their life like that. Nothing would ever get done. :rolleyes:
Of course, nobody lives like that, but some people work like that. For a scientific paper, "I believe I'm right" doesn't cut it. And when in doubt, as per the question in the OP, I trust people whose judgement is based on scientific rigour instead of belief.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I finished re-watching the ninth episode of Joan of Arcadia on youtube.com and realized why Joan ended up seeking psychological help ( a later episode). In history class the teacher referred to Joan of Arc as being crazy because she claimed to hear from God. This sowed the seed of doubt in Joan about her own sanity even though God has already shown her many wonderful things. However the question I have is whether to heed what the world says about our sanity when it has no experience or should we listen to our experience that has a Biblical basis?
That is a false dychotomy.

There are all forms of reasons to challenge other people's expectations and judgements about ourselves, including our metal states and mental health.

However, anything with a Biblical basis will either not be present in that list or score rather low indeed. The Bible is a very questionable text on its own merits, and was never intended to fulfill such a demanding role in any case.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
However the question I have is whether to heed what the world says about our sanity when it has no experience or should we listen to our experience that has a Biblical basis?

How many Christians actually have experiences that could potentially be considered part of a mental health diagnosis?

How many believe based on just accepting the stories of the religion or based on attributing normal experiences to God?

I finished re-watching the ninth episode of Joan of Arcadia on youtube.com and realized why Joan ended up seeking psychological help ( a later episode). In history class the teacher referred to Joan of Arc as being crazy because she claimed to hear from God. This sowed the seed of doubt in Joan about her own sanity even though God has already shown her many wonderful things. However the question I have is whether to heed what the world says about our sanity when it has no experience or should we listen to our experience that has a Biblical basis?
Would humans before the bible was written heeded such biblical experience? (No bible, no consideration) You seem like I saw this magic video on the astral plane that talked about Joan of Arcadia which isn't the crazy part. I get how the internet works and how you might find a video on YouTube interesting. The odd part is saying we need to use a biblical basis. The bible is new and not everyone has read it. Even if they have they probably didn't get a lot of it. I read it like six times and am still on bible genius trying to figure out scripture.

Use all of your knowledge and wisdom and try to be a good person.

I hope all is well!

Madsaac

There's no evidence that Joan of Arc was mentally ill. Psychosis is kind of obvious, you know. Madness is not a new thing, and there are writings about that going back to antiquity. So people knew about mental illness all along. Us moderns didn't just discover it. People who are "losing their mind" don't tend to accomplish such feats as Joan. The people who knew her were very impressed by her:

No doubt, she was an impressive women but she experienced frequent episodes of auditory hallucinations associated with elementary or complex visual hallucinations.

She may have been diagnosed with disabilities ranging from epilepsy to schizophrenia.

Heyo

Veteran Member
No doubt, she was an impressive women but she experienced frequent episodes of auditory hallucinations associated with elementary or complex visual hallucinations.

She may have been diagnosed with disabilities ranging from epilepsy to schizophrenia.
I've heard, in a documentary, that she probably would be diagnosed with an eating disorder today. We know from records that she was extremely slim, that she "fasted" frequently, and it is said that she never menstruated. The latter is a known symptom of anorexia. It is also known that starvation can lead to hallucinations, i.e. her "visions" might have been a symptom, not a disability in itself.