• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians, anything wrong with the following?

Blackdog22

I don't recall Jesus threatening an outcome if his invitation wasn't accepted??
God made Jesus his High priest, King of creation, given all authority to rule. So if you don't let Jesus in, you reject his authority. Therefore there is no place in creation for you after the judgment day. Maybe you believe that is not good because you would rather not have any authority over you. God apparently disagrees.

Like I said, still doesn't shine it in a positive light. I dunno why anyone should have to be gung ho about someone having "authority" over them, whatever that means, sounds kind of sexual actually, and im not sure why that deserves some eternal damnation. You just kind of made it sound even worse than the picture actually, which is kind of shocking.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So you say. But God gives mankind a choice Cake or death. Some will choose cake, and some will choose death. With freedom to choose as a cherry on top. Sounds pretty nice.

I like to bake, and that includes cake. When I make cake, I share it freely. I don't require that people lick my boots in exchange for cake. Nor do I douse people in gasoline and set them ablaze if they decline a slice of my delicious cake.

Blackdog22

A sinner has condemned himself to righteous judgement so Jesus isn't doing anything to them. One brings condemnation on himself.

Jesus' death, burial and resurrection, however, serve as a substitute for the judgement of sin for those who believe it.

It's just that simple.

The caption is not telling the story the way the Bible does. therefore it is wrong.

Ahh this one aye. Kind of reminds me of a story I heard where a man offered a girl his love or he would kill her. When she refused his love she died. When the cops asked what happened, he didn't say he killed her, he said she chose to die. Very twisted way of looking at justice and choice isn't it? I suppose not everyone can see the situation so clearly.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
Would anybody be up for considering that neither "cake" nor "death" are eternal principles?? But Christ is.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I like to bake, and that includes cake. When I make cake, I share it freely. I don't require that people lick my boots in exchange for cake. Nor do I douse people in gasoline and set them ablaze if they decline a slice of my delicious cake.

Are you talking about the Eddie Izzard routine? If so, I don't see the relevance.

Yeah, Eddie Izzard. It seems about the same, eternal life in paradise or death. Cake or death

Blackdog22

Yeah, Eddie Izzard. It seems about the same, eternal life in paradise or death. Cake or death

So join me or ill kill you? Alright then, if thats what you REALLY like, you have a week to join a man named Jeeves at Disney Land. You don't know him, have never really spoken to him, you dont know his face, and he will claim his name is Jeeves, but you have no way of verifying that. If you don't show up he will come to your house and murder you. I mean, thats your idea of a grand and fair time right? So this must be your dream come true! Nothing about this is insane and creepy AMIRITE!?!?

I really can't believe you seriously believe like this. Like you really, really believe like this in your mind. Sorry, its just almost impossible to think that someone could be that.... I dunno....misled I guess.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
So join me or ill kill you? Alright then, if thats what you REALLY like, you have a week to join a man named Jeeves at Disney Land. You don't know him, have never really spoken to him, you dont know his face, and he will claim his name is Jeeves, but you have no way of verifying that. If you don't show up he will come to your house and murder you. I mean, thats your idea of a grand and fair time right? So this must be your dream come true! Nothing about this is insane and creepy AMIRITE!?!?

I really can't believe you seriously believe like this. Like you really, really believe like this in your mind. Sorry, its just almost impossible to think that someone could be that.... I dunno....misled I guess.

Well im not entirely sure if he means Join me or I'll kill you or join me or I will make you burn in hell for eternity. Either way, eternal life in a perfect world seems like the better option.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Eddie Izzard was talking about how it wouldn't make sense to be a radical Anglican. "Cake or death" was about a vicar having people over for tea: instead of "would you like some cake", the "radical" Anglican priest would say "have cake or I'll kill you!"

As for why Eddie Izzard thinks Anglicanism is mostly about vicars inviting people over for tea... that's a question you'd need to ask him.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Eddie Izzard was talking about how it wouldn't make sense to be a radical Anglican. "Cake or death" was about a vicar having people over for tea: instead of "would you like some cake", the "radical" Anglican priest would say "have cake or I'll kill you!"

As for why Eddie Izzard thinks Anglicanism is mostly about vicars inviting people over for tea... that's a question you'd need to ask him.

Obviously the skit was about, Cake or death. Eternal life or death.

Blackdog22

Well im not entirely sure if he means Join me or I'll kill you or join me or I will make you burn in hell for eternity. Either way, eternal life in a perfect world seems like the better option.

Oh Jeeves is most certainly giving you eternal life and he is killing you if you don't show up. The real question is when are you going to meet Jeeves and will you post a picture for when you arrive at Disney land. If you refuse to go please give me a good reason. I thought this was your dream come true.... right?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
No, it was about religious fanatics killing people who don't go along with what they want.

In any case, I have no idea what you mean by "the cake or death argument", so if you want me to know what you mean, you'll have to explain it.

Well you all complain how terrible God is for creating hell and death, eternal damnation and hellfire etc. But he gives a simple way out, believe in Jesus. You can't say you don't believe in God and still complain that God created death and hell, complaining God must be terrible while ignoring the fact that all you have to do is believe in Jesus.

That might be confusing since I didn't take the time to dress up the wording, but do you get what im saying?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Oh Jeeves is most certainly giving you eternal life and he is killing you if you don't show up. The real question is when are you going to meet Jeeves and will you post a picture for when you arrive at Disney land. If you refuse to go please give me a good reason. I thought this was your dream come true.... right?

I don't really like disney land. That would be like hell to me. I don't have to go anywhere to meet my savior. Most likely be just a pile of dust and bones lying in a grave, no future at all except the resurrection.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Well you all complain how terrible God is for creating hell and death, eternal damnation and hellfire etc. But he gives a simple way out, believe in Jesus. You can't say you don't believe in God and still complain that God created death and hell, complaining God must be terrible while ignoring the fact that all you have to do is believe in Jesus.
While this would be rather silly and petty if god made its existence plain to everybody - while it doesn't, it's arbitrary, extreme injustice and cruelty.

Blackdog22

I don't really like disney land. That would be like hell to me. I don't have to go anywhere to meet my savior. Most likely be just a pile of dust and bones lying in a grave, no future at all except the resurrection.

Fine....then Jeeves takes you to candy land and will warp you there.... Nice intentionally missing the point. :/

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well you all complain how terrible God is for creating hell and death, eternal damnation and hellfire etc. But he gives a simple way out, believe in Jesus.
And you think we can choose to believe in Jesus or not?

You can't say you don't believe in God and still complain that God created death and hell, complaining God must be terrible while ignoring the fact that all you have to do is believe in Jesus.
Of course we can. Threatening people with death for arbitrary reasons is only something a homicidal maniac would do, even if the way to avoid being murderedis simple.

But in this case, it's not simple. In the Gospels, Jesus talks about he expects most people to fail this test and only a few to pass it: "narrow is the way" and all that.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Regardless of how easy you think the test ought to be, the fact that the author of the test expects - intends? - most people to fail it suggests otherwise.

Analogy time: your neighbour, who knows the kids in the area like to swim in his pool without his permission, fills his pool with piranhas. He posts signs around the pool that clearly say "do not enter - piranhas", but he doesn't build a fence (not one good enough to keep the kids out, anyway). After a while, it's found out that he told people before he filled the pool with piranhas that he expects 10 kids a week to get eaten in it, which is what ended up happening.

What would you think of your neighbour? Does the fact that it's easy to avoid the piranhas absolve him of all blame?

That might be confusing since I didn't take the time to dress up the wording, but do you get what im saying?
I think you're ignoring pretty major parts of Christian theology to make your conclusion work, but I think I understand what you're saying.