• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity served another black eye by one of its own

Oryonder

Looks like someone hasn't been following Jesus' message.

When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” - John 8:7

Ya .. One of the main things in the message of Jesus is that there is a difference between having a belief and forcing that belief on others

"Judge not lest ye be Judged" .. Do unto others .. and so forth.

The Big problem with these extremist Evangelical and Pentacostal groups is that they do not understand the teaching of Christ.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Ya .. One of the main things in the message of Jesus is that there is a difference between having a belief and forcing that belief on others

"Judge not lest ye be Judged" .. Do unto others .. and so forth.

The Big problem with these extremist Evangelical and Pentacostal groups is that they do not understand the teaching of Christ.
question is...who really does?
:shrug:

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
A major problem exists for Christianity as a whole however (and the same applies to any grouping of diverse theological positions under a common banner), in order to have any chance influencing society to move in a direction they want - they need to present a unified front; there exist within Christianity however numerous very significant differences in theology, philosophy and policy. The result is that many Christian groups are less likely to address such individuals and their groups when they get out of hand, because they want the issue to just dissipate without publicly addressing the difference of opinion in such a way so as to draw attention to those significant differences on a fundamental level; yet at the same time managing to portray themselves as being sufficiently different on the specific PR disaster.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Dawkins is a well known celebrity with a huge audience and considerable influence, so whether you agree with him or not he's at least earned the right to be taken seriously.
Even when he's not being serious?

The preacher in the OP vid is an obscure here-to-fore unknown fanatic who's only claim to fame is his own idiocy. Basically, except as leverage for anti-Christian rhetoric the guy serves no purpose, poses no threat, and doesn't warrant serious consideration.
Well, apparently his congregation doesn't think he's an idiot. However you regard him, this is a person who is a pastor - therefore a representative of the Christian belief system as appointed by his church - speaking to an audience who believe that his words are to some extent divinely inspired, and using this position of authority to deliver a speech significantly more hateful and harmful than the off-hand comment Dawkins made. And this pastor is definitely not alone.

No matter what way you try to look at it, this is not something that should be ignored.

If you don't see as many people attacking him at least part of the reason is probably because you don't see anyone in here defending him. Most people are just ignoring him.
And that's the problem. There's no objection, no anger, no frustration, just defensiveness. Forgive me if I'm reading too much into this, but right now a lot of people on this forum seem to be giving me the following impression:

Somebody make a vague comment that has potentially negative consequences or criticisms of Christianity: "This person is scum and a bigot and hateful and we must talk about this at length to get to the root of his sheer ignorance and diplorable level of sadistic behaviour! This warrants as much attention as possible and we must show as much objection to this person as we can!"

Christian pastor says that homosexuals should be killed: "Meh, he's not significant."

Don't try and spin this. This is pure and simple hypocrisy. The general feeling I'm getting is that it's okay to be a hateful bigot as long as you're a part of the club, but if anyone says something remotely negative about the in-group they deserve to be purged from society. No matter what way people try to spin it, that is what is being said.

So no, it isn't "a pretty glaring example of sheer hypocrisy on the part of some people on this forum". IMO, this thread doesn't make any sort of viable point so there's nothing here for anyone who isn't rabidly anti-religious to respond to. It's just one more in a never ending series of "Lets take an isolated incident of extremism and pretend it's representative of religion as a whole".
Again, using phrases like "rabidly anti-religious" just further indicates the above. There's plenty for lots of people to be angry about here. Here's a list:

People who hate homophobia
People who hate institutional homophobia
People who hate homophobes being given a prominant position within a supposedly moral organization
People who feel that the position of the Christian Church is done a disservice by homophobes
People who hate people that encourage murder
People who hate bigotry
People who are concerned about extremist fundamentalism undermining their own beliefs and people who share them

This isn't hard to get. In other threads, when confronted by homphobia I've seen Soujourner go on to write extensively about their disgust of their opinions and condemn, in terms as strong and passionate as I've seen anywhere, their beliefs as being both a misrepresentation and an embarrassment to Christianity. Why is the same anger not directed towards this guy? The thread was started on the premise that it is disgusting that such people are happily given a platform to express their bigotry by an beleif system that holds itself in the highest moral regard.

I'm not expecting Christians on here to suddenly jump ship in the face of this guy, but I was at least expecting a different reaction from "meh, he's not important", especially when considering the massive, glowing ball of anger that was the thread about Dawkins' speech. I was at least hoping the Christians here would grapple intelligently with the issue of institutional homophobia within certain areas of the church. Don't forget that this isn't an isolated incident - right now people throughout America are assessing whether not not gay marriage should be legal, and gay rights are under pressure across the country, and where most (if not all) opposition to such movements comes from Christian majorities.

I think by this time, most of the sensible people in here know better than to waste too much of their time with these kinds of threads.
So, the use of the word "mock" deseveres several threads and thousands of posts. But the subject of homophobia in the Church should be ignored.

There's no other way to spin that. It's hypocrisy of the highest order.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Dawkins is a well known celebrity with a huge audience and considerable influence, so whether you agree with him or not he's at least earned the right to be taken seriously.

The preacher in the OP vid is an obscure here-to-fore unknown fanatic who's only claim to fame is his own idiocy. Basically, except as leverage for anti-Christian rhetoric the guy serves no purpose, poses no threat, and doesn't warrant serious consideration.

If you don't see as many people attacking him at least part of the reason is probably because you don't see anyone in here defending him. Most people are just ignoring him.

So no, it isn't "a pretty glaring example of sheer hypocrisy on the part of some people on this forum". IMO, this thread doesn't make any sort of viable point so there's nothing here for anyone who isn't rabidly anti-religious to respond to. It's just one more in a never ending series of "Lets take an isolated incident of extremism and pretend it's representative of religion as a whole".

I think by this time, most of the sensible people in here know better than to waste too much of their time with these kinds of threads.
Frubals. (Or I would if it would let me...)

Oryonder

question is...who really does?
:shrug:

Well .. if they could get the simple stuff right it would help.

As stated earlier, concepts such as,

1) there is a difference between having a belief and forcing it on others
2) Forgivness is not such a horrible thing
3) No human speaks for God

If one can get these three alone .. the world would be a better place.

Unfortunately .. evangelicals and pentacostals seem to have more trouble than atheists with these concepts.

gnomon

N. C. Pastor Calls For Death of "Queers & Homosexuals"

[youtube]d2n7vSPwhSU[/youtube]

Nothing new of course, just a reminder that _______fill in the blank_________ .

I can only say that this is the first anti-gay pastor I've heard state that homosexuality is genetic which would also mean that homosexuals are not teaching kids to be gay.

To be fair I don't think for an instant he was calling for the death of homosexuals.

He was exhibiting an incredibly ignorant display of human development by stating that separating all the homosexuals by their sex would lead to the end of homosexuality because they cannot reproduce. As well, using the concept of a fence to separate them is inevitably going to bring Holocaust comparisons.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I can only say that this is the first anti-gay pastor I've heard state that homosexuality is genetic which would also mean that homosexuals are not teaching kids to be gay.

To be fair I don't think for an instant he was calling for the death of homosexuals.

He was exhibiting an incredibly ignorant display of human development by stating that separating all the homosexuals by their sex would lead to the end of homosexuality because they cannot reproduce. As well, using the concept of a fence to separate them is inevitably going to bring Holocaust comparisons.

I doubt he knows what the word genetic means.

"Prolly somethin to do with jeans"

If he did, he'd know that you'd have to fence hetreosexuals as well.

The pastor is an idiot.

Skwim

Veteran Member
From the video:
"I figured a way out. A way to get rid of all those lesbians and queers, but couldn't get it passed through congress. . . . Have that fence 'lectrified 'till they can't get out. Feed 'em, and you know what, in a few years they'll die out. You know why? They can't reproduce."
While I agree he doesn't call for the immediate death of homosexuals, his plan is to end their existence---a asinine plan on so many levels.

A

angellous_evangellous

Well, technically the only reason he has a voice is that he's a pastor ;)

So why are we talking about him, then?

If he had a voice because he is a pastor, then why haven't we discussed him before? Surely this isn't the only stupid thing that he has said!

A

angellous_evangellous

So, let me get this straight, Richard Dawkins speaking at a convention for atheists and secularists saying that people shouldn't be afraid to "mock" religious beliefs receives cries of objection, anger and page after page of indignation and righteous fury. *

A Christian preacher calling for the death of homosexuals in front of a church full of adhearants, meanwhile, gets little more than a "meh, he's not representative of Christianity and he's not significant enough to be concerned about".

What the holy hell?? Where's the anger? Where's the objection? Where the hell is the righteous fury?

Seriously guys, what the hell??

* NOTE: Forgive me for bringing up that same bloody thread again - please feel free to ignore the reference - but I feel that this is a pretty glaring example of sheer hypocrisy on the part of some people on this forum.

Yes, every idiot who can post a YouTube video is suddenly able to determine if others are following a religion that they don't even adhere to.

Right.

Be angry at things that matter. This guy doesn't. Obviously, he doesn't.

Get. A. Grip.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Everyone has to start somewhere. Give the pastor time. He might yet become someone of note. After all, he's already got more influence than anyone on this board.

A

angellous_evangellous

How is this pastor significant? - Someone posted a video of him saying stupid things. Someone else posted that video here. Some people can't effectively determine the significance of the pastor and they draw dramatic (melodramatic) conclusions about Christianity itself (HUGE conclusion from insignificant data) and even RF members.

How is what he said significant? What he said is only significant in the minds of those people who give more value to it than it deserves, blowing it way out of proportion.

There are many Christians, yes. This pastor ministers to a very, very small percentage of Christians and his realm of influence is limited to his church and perhaps a few others. Maybe 1,000 people or a LOT less within a MAJOR WORLD RELIGION.

That is ONE PERSON in a religion that has 2.2 BILLION followers. He speaks for himself, and maybe reflects BY COINCIDENCE a few more. He was recorded and posted online.

If he were a founder of a huge organization, a megachurch, or if he was a cardinal or a Pope, THEN he MAY be speaking with some significance.

This horse crap about attributing some kind of significance to his sermon because a video of him was posted online is more than a little bit silly.

A

angellous_evangellous

Everyone has to start somewhere. Give the pastor time. He might yet become someone of note. After all, he's already got more influence than anyone on this board.

Any donkey can say something stupid and make someone else angry.

Gomeza

Any donkey can say something stupid and make someone else angry.

Then it boils down to how easy it is to gain viral infamy whilst bellowing an obnoxious sermon. An unfair characterization that illustrates and reinforces a prevailing negative stereotype of US Southern Evangelical Christians.

A

angellous_evangellous

Then it boils down to how easy it is to gain viral infamy whilst bellowing an obnoxious sermon. An unfair characterization that illustrates and reinforces a prevailing negative stereotype of US Southern Evangelical Christians.

IF that were true, it would be by coincidence and not due to the significance of this one insignificant man.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Even when he's not being serious?

Well, apparently his congregation doesn't think he's an idiot. However you regard him, this is a person who is a pastor - therefore a representative of the Christian belief system as appointed by his church - speaking to an audience who believe that his words are to some extent divinely inspired, and using this position of authority to deliver a speech significantly more hateful and harmful than the off-hand comment Dawkins made. And this pastor is definitely not alone.

No matter what way you try to look at it, this is not something that should be ignored.

And that's the problem. There's no objection, no anger, no frustration, just defensiveness. Forgive me if I'm reading too much into this, but right now a lot of people on this forum seem to be giving me the following impression:

Somebody make a vague comment that has potentially negative consequences or criticisms of Christianity: "This person is scum and a bigot and hateful and we must talk about this at length to get to the root of his sheer ignorance and diplorable level of sadistic behaviour! This warrants as much attention as possible and we must show as much objection to this person as we can!"

Christian pastor says that homosexuals should be killed: "Meh, he's not significant."

Don't try and spin this. This is pure and simple hypocrisy. The general feeling I'm getting is that it's okay to be a hateful bigot as long as you're a part of the club, but if anyone says something remotely negative about the in-group they deserve to be purged from society. No matter what way people try to spin it, that is what is being said.

Again, using phrases like "rabidly anti-religious" just further indicates the above. There's plenty for lots of people to be angry about here. Here's a list:

People who hate homophobia
People who hate institutional homophobia
People who hate homophobes being given a prominant position within a supposedly moral organization
People who feel that the position of the Christian Church is done a disservice by homophobes
People who hate people that encourage murder
People who hate bigotry
People who are concerned about extremist fundamentalism undermining their own beliefs and people who share them

This isn't hard to get. In other threads, when confronted by homphobia I've seen Soujourner go on to write extensively about their disgust of their opinions and condemn, in terms as strong and passionate as I've seen anywhere, their beliefs as being both a misrepresentation and an embarrassment to Christianity. Why is the same anger not directed towards this guy? The thread was started on the premise that it is disgusting that such people are happily given a platform to express their bigotry by an beleif system that holds itself in the highest moral regard.

I'm not expecting Christians on here to suddenly jump ship in the face of this guy, but I was at least expecting a different reaction from "meh, he's not important", especially when considering the massive, glowing ball of anger that was the thread about Dawkins' speech. I was at least hoping the Christians here would grapple intelligently with the issue of institutional homophobia within certain areas of the church. Don't forget that this isn't an isolated incident - right now people throughout America are assessing whether not not gay marriage should be legal, and gay rights are under pressure across the country, and where most (if not all) opposition to such movements comes from Christian majorities.

So, the use of the word "mock" deseveres several threads and thousands of posts. But the subject of homophobia in the Church should be ignored.

There's no other way to spin that. It's hypocrisy of the highest order.

Sorry, but as fond as I am of responding to sanctimoniousness rants, this one is a little too long for me to waste my time with.

Let me know if you have an actual point you'd like addressed. ;)