• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity - questions

drummrguy14

The last several years have found me searching for some kind of spiritual home...I was raised in a United Methodist house, and always loved going to church, but found that I never felt "whole" with what I was being taught...in recent months I have been struggling hard with where I "belong" spiritually...I have a few questions that I was wondering if anyone here can shed some light on:

Is it possible to be a Christian but still be accepting of other beliefs/religions? How does one be "sure" in their own faith without being arrogant or condemning of other faiths?

I know a lot of people who take the Bible as being 100% literal fact, rather than metaphorical with very significant meanings...and often, these people say that it is sinful to not believe God's word exactly as it is written. But, isn't it the meaning that is important, rather than the means by which a person understands it? I mean, no two people interpret things exactly the same...Does one's metaphorical interpretation of the Bible weaken one's relationship with God?

For example: I don't believe that Adam and Eve were once the only two people on Earth...I take that story to be a metaphor for each persons journey through life, as we travel from innocence into the realm of awakened morality and responsibilty...that we are all imperfect beings. But i still believe God is the Creator of the Universe...but becasue I don't believe the story of Adam and Eve to be historical fact, does that mean that I am going against what the Bible says, even though I still believe he is the Creator?

Thanks for your help
smile.gif

nutshell

There was someone who once felt a lot like you do. He even went to a Methodist church too, and, like you, never felt "whole" there. You can read about his experience here:

http://scriptures.lds.org/js_h/1

His name was Joseph Smith.

I encourage you to read his experience, think about how it may parallel your own, examine what he did when he had those same feelings, and perhaps, you can do the same.

fromthe heart

drummrguy14 said:
The last several years have found me searching for some kind of spiritual home...I was raised in a United Methodist house, and always loved going to church, but found that I never felt "whole" with what I was being taught...in recent months I have been struggling hard with where I "belong" spiritually...I have a few questions that I was wondering if anyone here can shed some light on:

Is it possible to be a Christian but still be accepting of other beliefs/religions? How does one be "sure" in their own faith without being arrogant or condemning of other faiths?

I know a lot of people who take the Bible as being 100% literal fact, rather than metaphorical with very significant meanings...and often, these people say that it is sinful to not believe God's word exactly as it is written. But, isn't it the meaning that is important, rather than the means by which a person understands it? I mean, no two people interpret things exactly the same...Does one's metaphorical interpretation of the Bible weaken one's relationship with God?

For example: I don't believe that Adam and Eve were once the only two people on Earth...I take that story to be a metaphor for each persons journey through life, as we travel from innocence into the realm of awakened morality and responsibilty...that we are all imperfect beings. But i still believe God is the Creator of the Universe...but becasue I don't believe the story of Adam and Eve to be historical fact, does that mean that I am going against what the Bible says, even though I still believe he is the Creator?

Thanks for your help
smile.gif
You don't have to be arrogant to others to live within your beliefs...If we live as Jesus instructed we won't offend other's unless they are looking for something to pick about...if that happens to be the case we don't have to defend God...we just say what the Bible tells us to and let God do the rest.

Parts of the Bible are literal other's are metaphores. Through prayer and being taught in the right church we learn the difference.

I do feel Adam and Eve are the first man and woman to walk the face of the earth because God said it is so. He created them in part of the 6 days of creation. I can't say our days and nights are the same as it was then but I do take dreation literal. To believe as you said is like trying to walk forward and backward at the same time. If you do in fact believe in creation than you must believe God created in the manner He says in the beginning.

My guess is Satan is tempting you and your beliefs and it's what you do from here that will matter. No one can tell you what to believe; or at least they shouldn't; I can only tell you from some of the doubts thrown at me in my youth that you must look to God for the answers. It's ok to be accepting of the people of other faiths without taking from YOUR faith. I'll pray for you and that you will have this unsettled thinking removed and be shown how you are to be in your Christian walk. I hope you don't mind a prayer from a sister in Christ...if you do then say so.

respectfully,
FTH

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
As a person raised Christian as well, I felt the real issue was not that you were merely accepting of the faiths, but also thinking that they could contrbute to the Christian faith, which my church appeared to somewhat do. But many churches feel that only Christian teachings can help, when Buddha's teachings are very parallel to Christ's, albeit removed from the divine, but very similar in the basic sense. If you are removing the other faiths as useless to Christian practice, then you are in yourself denying the teachings of other creations of God, are you not?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Hey Drummrguy...

Of COURSE you can! Christians aren't limited to just Christianity! Look at Paul: he was a veritable chameleon!

I Corinthians 9:19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. NIV

Keep searching, keep looking, and take whatever good there is in ANY belief system. Peace out!

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
drummrguy14 said:
Is it possible to be a Christian but still be accepting of other beliefs/religions?
It all depends on what you mean by "accepting".

drummrguy14 said:
How does one be "sure" in their own faith without being arrogant or condemning of other faiths?
That is tough one because sometimes no matter how tolerant you may think you are. Someone else will you see you otherwise and want you to be accepting of everything under the sky.

drummrguy14 said:
I know a lot of people who take the Bible as being 100% literal fact, rather than metaphorical with very significant meanings...and often, these people say that it is sinful to not believe God's word exactly as it is written.

I would disagree with them and many in this forum would as well. Stick around, and learn why..:)

drummrguy14 said:
But, isn't it the meaning that is important, rather than the means by which a person understands it?
Bingo!!You hit the nail right in the head. That's exactly right.

drummrguy14 said:
I mean, no two people interpret things exactly the same...Does one's metaphorical interpretation of the Bible weaken one's relationship with God?
No, the meaning/teaching is what's important.

drummrguy14 said:
I partly agree with you here, but would rather leave the details for another day.

Peace with Christ
~Victor

Dentonz

NetDoc said:
Hey Drummrguy...

Of COURSE you can! Christians aren't limited to just Christianity! Look at Paul: he was a veritable chameleon!

I Corinthians 9:19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. NIV

Keep searching, keep looking, and take whatever good there is in ANY belief system. Peace out!
Yes, but in doing so; we are to never deny the gospel of Christ. Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever to all people. Be not conformed to the world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. What he meant was that he followed local customs and probably tried to dress himself to fit in. He didn't ever say that he conformed his beliefs or changed the gospel to please people. Christ is the same no matter what you say you believe. The Holy Spirit cannot and will not contradict himself. If he is revealed differently to two separate people neither revelation will contradict the other. If they do, one is not a revelation from God. The only way we can know the difference is to study the written Word so that we may know the living Word and use it as a measuring stick for all things.

All I'm trying to say is ; if anything you do contradicts the word of God, it is not of God.

RAZBERRY

drummrguy14 said:

Thanks for your help
smile.gif
I think struggling spiritually is exactly what satan wants us to do. Being Christian, we have a new nature in Christ, however, we still have our old sinful nature as well. If left to our own devices to sort out the struggles and attacks by satan, we'd be in a heap of trouble. Thankfully, Jesus said he would send the Comforter to help us. Dependence on the Holy Spirit to teach us, thereby molding us to be more Christ-like, is imperative. Depending solely on ourselves for understanding is a waste of time and will lead to nothing but trouble.

How can we be Christian and still be "accepting" of other beliefs? Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one cometh unto the Father but by me." Jesus either told the truth or He lied. I prefer to believe He told the truth. I believe Christians can't straddle the fence here. I can be tolerant of others' beliefs, but not accepting. Is it not the Christian's job to spread the good news of Christ? We can only tell people the good news, but it will be God who makes the unbelievers actually hear it.

As far as taking the bible literally, I believe biblical prophecies which have come to pass, came to pass literally. I believe we should take the bible as literal as possible. Just because we can't comprehend how things will happen, or how things did happen, does that mean it's beyond God's control? All things are possible with God.

It's just a question of faith. Do we have faith in ourselves, in man, or in God? Personally, I know God is a lot smarter than I am. I don't comprehend everything (actually, very little), but with the help of the Holy Spirit, I will continue to learn and to become more like Jesus Christ.

God bless you. I think you should lay your struggles at God's feet, then listen and watch closely for help from the Holy Spirit.:shout

Scuba Pete

Dentonz said:
All I'm trying to say is ; if anything you do contradicts the word of God, it is not of God.
The real problem then is that many, if not most Christians excel at putting word's in God's mouth. They make extrapolations and inferences that are simply NOT in scripture. Take the traditional quasi-Christian view on DANCING. There are beautiful passages of people dancing in the OT, but many denominations CONDEMN it as being heathen. Then there are religious holidays. How many times have we heard an extremist tell us that Halloween is of the devil? Bwahahahaha! The Bible does not teach us to avoid these celebrations, but to enjoy them.

Yes too often, lines are drawn in the sand in the name of God, that God never intended to be drawn. They use excuses just like yours: "we can't contradict God" and "God never changes". Well, my Bible tells me that God repented. This indicates that God can and does change his mind as well as how he interacts with us. No, God's nature does not change but humans have! As we mature as a race, we evolve socially. Just as I treat my kids differently as they mature: God does the same with us!

Dentonz

NetDoc said:
The real problem then is that many, if not most Christians excel at putting word's in God's mouth. They make extrapolations and inferences that are simply NOT in scripture. Take the traditional quasi-Christian view on DANCING. There are beautiful passages of people dancing in the OT, but many denominations CONDEMN it as being heathen. Then there are religious holidays. How many times have we heard an extremist tell us that Halloween is of the devil? Bwahahahaha! The Bible does not teach us to avoid these celebrations, but to enjoy them.

Yes too often, lines are drawn in the sand in the name of God, that God never intended to be drawn. They use excuses just like yours: "we can't contradict God" and "God never changes". Well, my Bible tells me that God repented. This indicates that God can and does change his mind as well as how he interacts with us. No, God's nature does not change but humans have! As we mature as a race, we evolve socially. Just as I treat my kids differently as they mature: God does the same with us!
Whoa! you must've had some run-ins with some old time legalistic pentecostals. I agree with everything that you just said. People are so busy making there own laws that they leave God out of the picture. But regardless of time changing and people changing and the way we present the gospel, the gospel of Christ does not change..... ever. And the Spirit of God will never, ever, ever, ever, contradict itself. God is holy and just, he will never change. He is and was and always will be.

Grace and peace my brother. I love ya man.
Denton

Scuba Pete

Dentonz,

I agree the Gospel of Peace and Love will never change. Too many religious extremists have hijacked it in an attempt to grab power and to enable their bigotry. Everyone wants to be right without changing their views to match God's. They just want to push their extremist views on everyone else in the name of God, and God wants nothing to do with them.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Do not choose religion over God's teachings. God did not create religion, humans did. Do you believe that God, the Creator of the universe, wishes that you get dressed up on Sunday's and go to a church to sit and listen (and pay) a human to tell you about God?

Humans created religion and it has replaced God, and I can prove it to you. Does not the bible say "Make no image of me". Was not Moses astonished when he saw the golden calf? What do Christians wear around their necks? A golden image. Does not the bible conflict with itself? The prevailing idea put forth in the first testament is an eye for an eye. The prevailing idea in the new testament is forgiveness. Did God evolve? Why the drastic change even though it was certainly for the better?

Early humans misunderstood the revealings and perhaps some blame goes to the revealers who attempted to put things into a perspective the vocabulary limited humans could understand. But the angel revealers have throughout our history continued to help us.

Adam and Eve were assigned to teach the early humans but things were progressing very slowly. Adam and Eve were extremely intelligent beings but the early humans were hardly more than savages who worshipped the sun and thought the wind was a spirit. Eve became frustrated and believed the problem was in the genetic makeup of the early humans brains. How long would it take you to make an animal choose to be good and have faith in a one true God? So Eve commited adultery with one of the humans, the leader of a tribe. This was specifically forbidden, this act was the original sin. Eve then gave birth to Kane who understandably did not get along well with her other son, by Adam, Able. Kane slew Able one day and was banished. This explains why Kane was afraid that others would kill him. Adam and Eve can be considered to be the first humans for the race that grew from Kane became modern humans. And the sudden influx of Adamic genes for enlarged brains is what caused/causes woman's suffering during childbirth. The head size is too big for the birth canal.

Back to religion. You are intelligent. Read the bible and use logic to decide for yourself. No one can tell you what to believe, you must choose for yourself. What is more likely? That all the matter in the universe simply created itself and created physical laws that are perfect down to a millionth of a degree? Or that there is a grand design by a being that waits for you to grow and develop into a sentient being so you can understand and accept Him?

If you continue to search for it, if you think about it, it will be revealed to you.

Brenda

Hey Drumerguy,
I believe it is ok to ask questions about God's word but not in a way that we seem arrogant to a person but are really inquiring for ourselves. Your question sort of reminds me of myself when I was younger in my early and late 20's. I wondered if there was a God. I had been raised in the Missionary Baptist Church. It would bother me when people would ask the question, "Are you saved?" I had the experience of walking up for salvation when I was about 6 yrs. old and it was a very emotional experience. But, I then was faced with the questioning of my own salvation. I questioned if I did this for the right reason. I was sitting with the Preacher's daughter and had not paid attention the whole service, but when the altar call came she said, "Let's go get saved," and I did. I now know that this was her salvation call from God, not mine. I later figured out that I was not saved and that is why I had this void in my heart. I then asked Jesus into my heart around the age of 28. After receiving Jesus, the void began to be filled. The Holy Spirit was now confirming that there is a God and that all of His word in the Bible was and is true. I must say that the questioning of God seemed to be driving me crazy, but when I got saved, God began to reveal to me that He is real and my Spirit bared witness with His and I have no more worries or doubts about it. I was also later baptized again because all I really did was walk through the water when I was younger. I must say that when I was baptized as an adult realizing what God had done for me through Jesus and I accepted His grace, love, peace and joy, there was a great differnce. I came out of the water thanking God and praising Him. I felt cleansed and that was a lot to be thankful for all by itself.
My works will not get me to heaven, being good will not get me there, only by the grace of God and His son Jesus and what He did for me. He is the Love of my life and I must say I do feel free, since I have given my life to Him. That has been approximately 26 yrs ago.
People have tried to get me to still doubt about God, but there is no way now. I am planted in His word and that is what you need to do. Read His word and get "His" wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Ask and you shall receive. Talk to Him just as you talk to others. Take time to have communication with Him. He will listen and He will answer.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
drummrguy14 said:

Thanks for your help
smile.gif
Religiously misplaced ? - you have come to the right guy.:D

I am a follower of Christ; I believe that he lived, taught us how to live, and died so that we may be forgiven our sins. But I believe in reincarnation, elements of Buddhism, I use the Tarot, I do water divining, heal using reiki and crystals............well, I guess you can't get more of a 'religious spread' than that.

And I am Happy ! I believe the essential message of Christianity is to spread Love; live a decent clean life, try not to sin too often, and when you do so, repent, and help your neighbour, whoever he is.

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
I am a Christian, but have so much interest in others beliefs and religions, I cant seem to settle into just Christianity.
I dont take the Bible as 100% correct, I tend to take what helps me on my path.​
Just follow what is right for you, and I wish you lots of luck... in finding your way.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Evenstar said:
I am a Christian, but have so much interest in others beliefs and religions, I cant seem to settle into just Christianity.
I dont take the Bible as 100% correct, I tend to take what helps me on my path.​
Just follow what is right for you, and I wish you lots of luck... in finding your way.
drummrguy,

EvenStar is as I am; she gives you good advice.
Take your time, go where ever your thoughts take you, and accept all that you know that is good, dismiss what you think is bad.

I thinkl it can be summed up so:- at every point in your life, there will be choices, and you will know which is the good one, and whitch isn't (instinctively). If you want to be a good Christian, just you make sure you take the option you think Christ would have taken, in your place.;)

soma

John Kuykendall
It is nice to see so many people drawing upon the invisible forces of unity where we can feel the oneness and see that responsibility, decision-making and optimism all flow together in one universal consciousness, where God is an obvious reality. When a deep awareness of unity is established, one benefits tremendously physically, mentally and spiritually because the habit of being positive is acquired, and God is no longer a closed concept, but an infinite vast always present consciousness. Many Christians have started new lives of unity seeing one God or Life beyond the myriad forms so they are no longer tricked into thinking that there are more than one God. My God is better than your god insinuates that there is more than one God. This statement is false and is a misuse of belief. Christian mysticism cleared this up for me, a sense or presence of something greater was invoked. It takes time to believe and accept the unifying force in one God and for the undesirable experiences accumulated to gradually disappear, but we are either for or against unity so for something new to be born we need to pass from a sense of being isolated into a realization of oneness with everything. Christian mysticism pushes the envelope and does not reaffirm Christian religions' limitations that our God is the true God again suggesting that there is more than one God. Defending limitations strengthens them limiting our beliefs and realities so to be successful we need the tool of knowledge to explore the unknown and find a deeper meaning in the word of God. With options and alternatives ignorance is not bliss, but a self imposed limitation. The knowledge in the mystics' spiritual experience unlocks unknown areas of consciousness.

http://thinkunity.com

drummrguy14 said:

Thanks for your help
smile.gif
The bible encourages us to" CONTINUALLY TEST OUT OUR FAITH TO SEE IF IT IS ACURATE." So examining other religions is important.

joeboonda

Ok, gotta chime in. Yes, the Bible says God's word is written in mans hearts, that he gave us a conscience, so other religions do have truths in them, like morality and such, dont rape, rob, murder, lie, etc. these are written in our hearts.

Now about Adam and Eve. First I will say, the main thing is that you believe Christ paid for all your sins on the cross, imputed HIS righteousness to you, made you a new creature, a child adopted by God, and sealed by His Spirit unto the day of redemption. If you trust Christ for salvation as a free gift, not of your own righteousness, you are ok.

Ok, Adam and Eve. One, Jesus spoke of them. Two, here is what Romans says:

5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

OK, so the whole idea here is that by one man, Adam sin entered the world, and therefore death, (physical and spiritual), by one man, Jesus the free gift was given of eternal life. So, if you say there was no Adam and Eve, you are undermining the whole arguement for why Christ came and how sin was passed to all men. \

I too, questioned that, and evolution, and I tell you, there are great answers out there, about creationism, the trustworthiness of scripture, etc. Paul told Timothy not to be concerned with oppositions of science falsely so called, and you should not worry either. But I will say, study, study, and study some more, a workman rightly dividing the word of truth.

Sincerely,

Mike