• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity and hair?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
The reason why Jesus is shown with long hair is because they confused 'Nazarite' with 'Nazarene', and they do not cut their hair during their vow, as far as I'm aware. :)

After all, it wouldn't make sense for Jesus to have long hair, if it is "shameful". However, Paul of Tarsus wrote that, not Jesus. However, I'd like to know, how long is "long hair"? To your shoulders? Elbows? Knees? Floor?

Jeremy Mason

I came along this work - what are your views on this!

http://www.projectnaad.com/wp-content/uploads/leaflets/long_hair_in_christianity.pdf

Just curious - Even hair of Jesus are showing long with beard!​

Most portraits of Jesus will inherit the aesthetics of the culture it was created in. The Jesus most people recognize in the Western world happens to have some very Anglo-Saxon features.

While I am guessing, it's my understanding the Jesus would have had short cropped hair and beard.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Most portraits of Jesus will inherit the aesthetics of the culture it was created in. The Jesus most people recognize in the Western world happens to have some very Anglo-Saxon features.

While I am guessing, it's my understanding the Jesus would have had short cropped hair and beard.
Yes, I agree with this.
I've also seen a Chinese Jesus. I think it's also to help people to connect with him.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Jesus has long hair, because he knew it's metal to have long hair:

jesus_rocks.jpg
Dethklok-RockinBIG.gif

ax0547

Sat Sri Akal
The reason why Jesus is shown with long hair is because they confused 'Nazarite' with 'Nazarene', and they do not cut their hair during their vow, as far as I'm aware. :)

After all, it wouldn't make sense for Jesus to have long hair, if it is "shameful". However, Paul of Tarsus wrote that, not Jesus. However, I'd like to know, how long is "long hair"? To your shoulders? Elbows? Knees? Floor?

If you keep your hair tidy and covered like sikhs do, by the time one reaches 30-35, hair is upto shoulders or somewhat longer, and way less in number. If you keep open to air, then due to wear and tear up to shoulder or smaller. Of course there are other people with longer hair as eceptions. It really depends on person to persona and family inheritance.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
If you keep your hair tidy and covered like sikhs do, by the time one reaches 30-35, hair is upto shoulders or somewhat longer, and way less in number. If you keep open to air, then due to wear and tear up to shoulder or smaller. Of course there are other people with longer hair as eceptions. It really depends on person to persona and family inheritance.
That's true. :)
I, for one, am from a family of long-haired people. :D My father once had long hair (now short), my brother had long hair (now short), and I had short hair (now becoming long).

Personally, I see long hair as beautiful. :)

Worshipper

Are you saying that if you never cut your hair for 30 to 35 years, it will only get down to your shoulders?

I would think it would be well past your waist after 30 to 35 years, and maybe well past your heels.

verita

It is St. Paul who wrote the doctrine about hair. His teachings came from our Lord Jesus Christ...
Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, BUT BY THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST.

The doctrine about hair is not only for MEN. It includes also all Christian women. If a woman have long hair it is a glory to her.
1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

The teaching of Saint Paul about the hair starts here...
1Co 11:3 But I would have you know, that the HEAD of every man is Christ; and the HEAD of the woman is the man; and the HEAD of Christ is God.
Here it says that the HEAD of Christ is GOD (The Almighty Father), then Christ is the HEAD of MAN and MAN is the HEAD of the WOMAN. In Christian faith, the highest in hierarchy is God The Father Almighty, then his Son who is our Lord Jesus Christ, then the Man and the Woman.

1Co 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
If a man is praying or preaching he must not cover his head because he dishonored his HEAD which is Jesus Christ. Cover his head means having long hair because long hair is a covering.
1Co 11:15 But if a woman HAVE LONG HAIR, it is a glory to her: for her HAIR IS GIVEN HER FOR A COVERING.

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
On the other hand, if a woman is praying with head uncovered or short hair she dishonors her HEAD or her husband.

1Co 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
A MAN should not cover his HEAD (Jesus Christ) because he is the image and glory of God.

1Co 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
A Christian Woman must have a sign on her head because of the Angels. In the former times the Angels (Sons of God) saw that the daughters of men were beautiful and they took them as wives. It produces Giants on earth as a result of crossbreeding between Angels and Men. Those Giants became mighty men and so the Earth became corrupt before the Great Flood.
Gen 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Then I believe this thread starts here which you can easily understand why Christians Men must have short hair.
1Co 11:13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
The rightful answer is NO!
1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
The rightful answer is YES!
1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

For Christians, it is very important that the doctrine of hair is followed. It is not God's will that Christian Men sport long hair and on the other hand it is God's will that Christian women have long hair. Therefore our Lord Jesus Christ doest not have long hair because he is the one who teaches Saint Paul about the HAIR.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
For Christians, it is very important that the doctrine of hair is followed. It is not God's will that Christian Men sports long hair and on the other hand it is God's will that Christian women to have long hair.

If God didn't want men to have long hair, I'm sure He wouldn't have made it able to grow long. However, how long is long? :)

verita

I have not read any verse that says how long should a hair of a man or woman must be but the verse in 1 Corinthian 11:14 have logic.

It is the nature that teaches a man if he has a long hair.

I, for one, am from a family of long-haired people. :D My father once had long hair (now short), my brother had long hair (now short), and I had short hair (now becoming long).

In your statement, you yourself knows that your father before had long hair (now short), your brother had long hair (now short) and you had before short hair (now becoming long). By implication, you know what is short and long hair.

For me when my hair touches my ear, I felt that I already have long hair. In our congregation I have not seen any brethren that have their ears covered with hair or the collar of their polo shirt is covered with hair.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rather than speculate and quote scripture, why not look at how the jews were depicted in contemporary painting, sculpture and mosaics?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
In your statement, you yourself knows that your father before had long hair (now short), your brother had long hair (now short) and you had before short hair (now becoming long). By implication, you know what is short and long hair.
No, I only used what is considered society's "long". My "long" is past my knees. At the moment my hair is quite short, covering my ears, but not down to my neck (I have curly hair). I know what is considered short and long in twenty-first century Britain, but I do not consider this to be long myself. I'm more interested in the time that it was written, in first century Rome, what was considered as long, and what was considered as short?

For me when my hair touches my ear, I felt that I already have long hair. In our congregation I have not seen any brethren that have their ears covered with hair or the collar of their polo shirt is covered with hair.
That would be too short to me. Bleugh! Interestingly, what is your opinion on beards? Are they mandatory?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Rather than speculate and quote scripture, why not look at how the jews were depicted in contemporary painting, sculpture and mosaics?
Good question!
Maybe it's because of anti-Semitism and/or a belief that Christians do not have to obey the laws of the Tanakh? Jesus is generally portrayed with a beard and by today's Western society, somewhat long hair, yet Paul says in Corinthians says that long hair is a shame for men. Confusing!

verita

Saint Paul’s letters are meant for Christians who are in the Church of God.
1Co 1:1 Paul, a called apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
1Co 1:2 to the church of God which is in Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called out with all those in every place who call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours.
1Co 1:3 Grace be to you, and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Gentiles are called by God The Father Almighty unto the fellowship of his Son in the Church of God.
1Co 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

Inside the Church of God, you have to obey the will of God. That is why there are Ministers and Workers to implement the law so that everything is in order.
1Co 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

If a member inside the Church of God had long hair he will be advise by the Worker to visit a barber. There is corresponding disciplinary action if you disobey the law of God in the bible.

About the beard, I have not read any prohibitions about it. As far as I know it is only the hair in the HEAD.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
If a member inside the Church of God had long hair he will be advise by the Worker to visit a barber. There is corresponding disciplinary action if you disobey the law of God in the bible.
I would tell them where they could stick it. I don't see why religion should inhibit personal freedom like that!
About the beard, I have not read any prohibitions about it. As far as I know it is only the hair in the HEAD.
If you check back in the Tanakh ("Old Testament"), it basically says you should grow a beard.

Paramaniac

The One With an Open Mind
I have had long hair 3 times in my life. I finally had to cut it short again after I realized that my greys are too wirey (Yes, I'm 29 and 'salt&pepper'). Now, what's short? I usually get the back and sides buzzed (about a #3 or 4 clipper) and the top is usually blended it and no more than 1.5 inches. Yes...my hair is that short. It's just easier with work and easier to take care of. Besides, I think (at least on me) very very short grey looks good on a woman!