• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian, Would You Kill Your Son or Daughter if God Asked You To?

Christian, would you kill your son or daughter if god asked you to?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

Skwim

Veteran Member
Genesis 22:1-10

"After these things God tested Abraham. He said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” 2 He said, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.” 3 So Abraham rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his son Isaac; he cut the wood for the burnt offering, and set out and went to the place in the distance that God had shown him. 4 On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place far away. 5 Then Abraham said to his young men, “Stay here with the donkey; the boy and I will go over there; we will worship, and then we will come back to you.” 6 Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. So the two of them walked on together. 7 Isaac said to his father Abraham, “Father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” He said, “The fire and the wood are here, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?” 8 Abraham said, “God himself will provide the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.” So the two of them walked on together.

9 When they came to the place that God had shown him, Abraham built an altar there and laid the wood in order. He bound his son Isaac, and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to kill his son.
(Yes, I know he didn't do it.)

So . . . . . . . . . . . ?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
(if an ex christian response is acceptable)

Hell no. If God told me so, I'd tell God to take me instead.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

"After these things God tested Abraham. He said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” 2 He said, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.” 3 So Abraham rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his son Isaac; he cut the wood for the burnt offering, and set out and went to the place in the distance that God had shown him. 4 On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place far away. 5 Then Abraham said to his young men, “Stay here with the donkey; the boy and I will go over there; we will worship, and then we will come back to you.” 6 Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. So the two of them walked on together. 7 Isaac said to his father Abraham, “Father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” He said, “The fire and the wood are here, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?” 8 Abraham said, “God himself will provide the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.” So the two of them walked on together.

9 When they came to the place that God had shown him, Abraham built an altar there and laid the wood in order. He bound his son Isaac, and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to kill his son.

I asked this question before. Never did get a reply from any abrahamic believer.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Abraham was supposed to argue with G-d about this. After Abraham does this, which is after he's promised a bloodline through Isaac (the one who's supposedly about to die) G-d never speaks personally with Abraham again. Angels do. G-d wants Abraham to argue with him as he did about the destruction of Sodom. Unlike Noach, who said 'Yes, G-d, You're right; all these people should die in a great flood, whatever Your will is, L-rd," Abraham wasn't content just to sit back like that. He felt the need to stand up for people. Both were considered very righteous men, but this is why Abraham, not Noach, was chosen to be the Father of the Jewish Nation.

Why exactly this is, I cannot explain.

Spideymon77

A Smiling Empty Soul
I love this video by NonStampCollector. It's my favorite interpretation of this story.

As to my answer, no. I'll probably go to a therapist to get the voice out of my head though.

Skwim

Veteran Member
As of right now, 5:34 EDT 6/27/17, there have been 72 views of this thread with only 2 votes, which is quite telling. :D (Both of them NO.)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose if I genuinely believed that death meant going to an idyllic paradise in the afterlife, then it doesn't seem so bad. In fact, killing someone should be viewed as the equivalent of sending them on an all-expense-paid luxury vacation. That is, if the religion is anything to go by.

DavidFirth

Although most everyone already knows, it is important to note here that God stopped Abraham before he struck the child with the knife. The important thing to note here is that Abraham trusted God so much that he thought God quite capable of resurrecting Isaac from the dead, if that had proven necessary. This is great faith.

Later God sacrificed his own Son so it is not unreasonable of God to ask us to sacrifice ourselves for others and for Him if necessary.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The important thing to note here is that Abraham trusted God so much that he thought God quite capable of resurrecting Isaac from the dead, if that had proven necessary.
What in the story gives you any indication that Abraham expected God to resurrect Isaac?

Thief

Rogue Theologian

I do believe God is capable of a head game....but....
that's NOT His style

I prefer to believe God would not test a Man beyond an immediate question of reason

Poisonshady313

It's worth mentioning that God never commanded, or even asked/requested that Abraham slaughter his son. He was told to "bring him up". And he did.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Job might take exception...
ah yes.....

maybe you noticed?
God had nothing to prove
and God knew His servant Job
Job had nothing to prove

it was the devil.....that wanted to prove something

that God allowed the devil all but kill him
that is NOT the same as God testing Job

the devil was not making obedience to a command
the devil was doing harm of his own will

it was not a test unto Job
it was the devil attempting to prove himself greater.....than the least of God's servants

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's worth mentioning that God never commanded, or even asked/requested that Abraham slaughter his son. He was told to "bring him up". And he did.
" Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”