• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Who was the Christ?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
When I first became a Christian, the thing that came to me is that He came to save the world. Zola Levitt (a Messianic Jew) compared Him to a Passover Lamb.
He was God made into a human (hence Son of Man). He is the Unblemished Lamb who died for our sins in our place.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Who was Jesus Christ? Who did He tell us He was?

He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
Matt. 16:15-17

Then the devil took Him into the holy city and had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple,
and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down; for it is written,
'HE WILL COMMAND HIS ANGELS CONCERNING YOU';
and
'ON their HANDS THEY WILL BEAR YOU UP,
SO THAT YOU WILL NOT STRIKE YOUR FOOT AGAINST A STONE.'"
Jesus said to him, "On the other hand, it is written, 'YOU SHALL NOT PUT THE LORD YOUR GOD TO THE TEST.'"
Matt. 4:5-7

When it was day, the Council of elders of the people assembled, both chief priests and scribes, and they led Him away to their council chamber, saying, "If You are the Christ, tell us." But He said to them, "If I tell you, you will not believe;
and if I ask a question, you will not answer.
"But from now on THE SON OF MAN WILL BE SEATED AT THE RIGHT HAND of the power OF GOD."
And they all said, "Are You the Son of God, then?" And He said to them, "Yes, I am."
Then they said, "What further need do we have of testimony? For we have heard it ourselves from His own mouth."
Luke 22:66-71

Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."
Jesus answered and said to him, "Because I said to you that I saw you under the fig tree, do you believe? You will see greater things than these."
John 1:49-50

The woman said to Him, "I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us."
Jesus said to her, " who speak to you am He."
John 4:25-26

Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."
John 8:12

Jesus heard that they had put him out, and finding him, He said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?"
He answered, "Who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?"
Jesus said to him, "You have both seen Him, and He is the one who is talking with you."
And he said, "Lord, I believe." And he worshiped Him.
John 9:35-38

"I and the Father are one."
John 10:30

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies,
and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
She said to Him, "Yes, Lord; I have believed that You are the Christ, the Son of God, even He who comes into the world."
John 11:25-27

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him."
Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us."
Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
John 14:6-9

Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last,
and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.
Rev. 1:17-18

"Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
Rev. 22:12-13

Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him and will dine with him, and he with Me."
Rev. 3:20

The real question isn't who WAS Jesus, but who IS Jesus.

y'shua_lives

christ comes from the greek wrood chritos meaning annointed, jesus was the anointed of God by the spirit of God. he was the logos the visible part of god, the firstborn over all creation, the only begotten of the father, a created being by God the father before time, who took on the nature of God. He is the only way to the father and the only way to take part in the ressurection on the last day.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
An old retelling of the Egyptian God Horus' life?
An old retelling of the Persian God Mithras' life?
A fictional story about a great Magi?
The greatest initiate into the Mystery Schools of Egypt and India?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
christ comes from the greek wrood chritos meaning annointed, jesus was the anointed of God by the spirit of God. he was the logos the visible part of god, the firstborn over all creation, the only begotten of the father, a created being by God the father before time, who took on the nature of God. He is the only way to the father and the only way to take part in the ressurection on the last day.
Hi, y'shua_lives. I enjoyed your comments. Would you mind commenting on a couple of points.

1. the firstborn over all creation
2. a created being by God the father before time

I suspect that you see these two statements as being related. They pretty much describe my belief, but I would like to see how closely we actually agree on them. I am especially interested in hearing more about the second of the two statements, as I have never heard anyone outside of my religion describe Jesus Christ in this way.

A

angellous_evangellous

***MOD ADVISORY***

This is a same-faith debate for Christians. If you don't consider yourself a Christian, please don't participate in the debate.

Thanks,
A_E

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Were you looking for a simple answer?
Well, how about you start out simple and move to more complex.

I'm reminded of my first test in high school World History class. Compare and contrast the first five great religions of the world. You have 45 minutes.
LOL! I see what you're getting at. What I'm looking for is a statement on who Christ was, based primarily on who He himself claimed to be and what we can learn about Him through the scriptures.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Well, how about you start out simple and move to more complex.

LOL! I see what you're getting at. What I'm looking for is a statement on who Christ was, based primarily on who He himself claimed to be and what we can learn about Him through the scriptures.
Why would you just rest on His own statements and not take the whole of Scripture to define Christ?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Why would you just rest on His own statements and not take the whole of Scripture to define Christ?
Uh... Didn't you read my last response? I said, "based primarily on who He himself claimed to be and what we can learn about Him through the scriptures."

madhatter85

Transhumanist
He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
Matt. 16:15-17

I really enjoyed that, i noticed somethibng here.

"Living God"

this denoted that he is "Living"
Dictionary.com -
Living - 1. having life; being alive; not dead: living persons.

meaning he is a Life Form. he has substance, he is tangable.

christ being the Son of a living godm how can he be the Son of himself?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
He was the great teacher!
But if He claimed to be the only means by which mankind could be reconciled to God, doesn't that also make him a liar -- unless what He said is true, of course? I mean, how great is a teacher you can't trust?