• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Sola Scriptura

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
'Servant' is another translation. In either case, the point of the psalm is the same.
But do you see the point I'M making: it's a perfect example of anti-Christian rhetoric in "alternate translations" - (as they're called).

I call them per-versions, some call them mis-translations, the Bible calls them "another Gospel".

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
AV1611 said:
But do you see the point I'M making: it's a perfect example of anti-Christian rhetoric in "alternate translations" - (as they're called).

I call them per-versions, some call them mis-translations, the Bible calls them "another Gospel".
I'm not sure if they'd count as anti- Christian rhetoric if the person quoting them is of that faith. I don't believe that's why that particular verse was used, however.

2 Timothy 2:24-25 (King James Version)

24And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

25In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
These are wise words to everyone, of every religion. Being gentle unto all men is something to strive for, and when a person does it, others tend to look upon them with favor.

So hopefully you see the point I'm making? :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
AV1611 said:
Name me just 5 Christan denominations in this world today that use Sola Scriptura, and show me how they interpret the same verse differently. (This oughta be good.)
Lutherans, Baptists, Seventh-day Adventists, Presbyterians and Methodists all claim to accept the doctrine of Sola Scriptura. Here's how they interpret doctrine using the Bible as their only source:

Lutherans practice infant baptism and believe it to be absolutely essential for salvation; Baptists do not. However, Baptist baptisms (unlike Lutheran ones) are always by immersion.

Baptists believe "once saved, always saved"; Lutherans reject this doctrine.

Presbyterians believe in predestination as opposed to free will. Methodists, Baptists and Lutherans believe in free will.

Seventh-day Adventists believe the Sabbath should be celebrated on Saturday; the others all believe it should be celebrated on Sunday.

Each of these denominations operates under a significantly different leadership. Baptist churches, for instance, are essentially "self governing," whereas Methodists hold a convention every four years to determine theology.

It would be impossible for me to try to second-guess any of these churches and speculate as to which specific verses they use to define their doctrines. But they clearly do not agree on these rather significant issues.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
These are wise words to everyone, of every religion. Being gentle unto all men is something to strive for, and when a person does it, others tend to look upon them with favor. So hopefully you see the point I'm making? :)
Touche, Feathers! Point well-taken. Thank you.

Baerly

AV1611 said:
Defend their reliance on Scripture alone ... against what?

And as far as canon ... that is divine design.

Witness:

The OT consists of 39 books, laid out as follows:

12 books of history - 5 books of poetry - 12 books of prophecy

Of the 12 books of history: 1st 5 are books of Moses ... last 12 are basic history.

Of the 12 books of prophecy: 1st 5 are major prophets ... last 12 are minor prophets.

Perfect balance.

Thank you,I love stuff like that.

Sorta like, the O.T is the N.T. concealed. The N.T. is the O.T. revealed. --Baerly

A

angellous_evangellous

Baerly said:
Thank you,I love stuff like that.

Sorta like, the O.T is the N.T. concealed. The N.T. is the O.T. revealed. --Baerly

And we're like an onion - pealed.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
AV1611 said:
Drummer, I almost ignored this post, but then I decided not to because I think you're serious. So here's your answer:

They had the AV96 version.

I'm being honest here when I say sometimes I feel like I'm trying to nail Jello to the wall.

I said the KJV was the only correct version for today. Anything else, and believe, YOU'LL never recognize it, and neither will anyone else, including me. Why? I don't believe they exist today. Once the AV96 became the AV500 [or whatever], the AV96 went bye-bye --- then the AV500 became AV[whatever] and so on, until the AV1611.

I challenge ANYONE ... and I mean ANYONE ... to assemble 52 men today, take what sources they think the King James Bible came from, isolate themselves, and come up with another King James Bible, verbatim.

These different AV's came about because of developments in scholarship (both in terms of sources and processes.) Do you really expect us to believe that 52 men would , in the name of good scholarship, want to use only the source material and scholarship that the KJ scholars used? Why do you think the NRSV came about? Because developments in scholarship and source material in the intervening 400 years warranted a newer translation, based upon these developments!!! Don't you suppose that the AV1611 took advantage of material that the AV96 scholars didn't possess? Why is it so difficult to make the logical leap here in assuming that the NRSV might not be the latest "AV?"

BTW...just who is it that decreed that the KJV was the only "authorized" version?

athanasius

wow.....lack of serious historical study on the canon is causing alot of people here problems. I have 5 questions. 1) Where does the bible teach sola scriptura? What passage says that ONLY the Bible ALONE is our Sole Authority and nothing else is to be used?? 2) Historically what constitutes the new testament and how do you know for sure? 3) What was the new testament mutorian canon in the year 190 ad? Do you agree with this early canon? How did the early Christians come to know what books constituted the new testament and when was this done(Hint ,Hint 382 At the council of Rome)??

writer

1) Where does the bible teach sola scriptura?
What is "sola scriptura"? A strawman you seem to want to create? Maybe because you're unable to debate anyone real? That's a question

What passage says that ONLY the Bible ALONE is our Sole Authority and nothing else is to be used??
Sole authority for what? More tilting at windmills? This is what Don Quixote did. Not the 4th century Athanasius. Come to think of it, since someone here mentioned study of history: along with the Spirit and prayer, with what written text did Athanasius primarily combat Arianism? That should be the original thought and meaning behind the phrase "sola scriptura". The Primary written authority (as opposed to so-called Tradition, interpretations, and other writings)

2) Historically what constitutes the new testament and how do you know for sure?
Matthew-Revelation. Composed by the apostles and their immediate coworkers. I'd say, in the vein of so-called "sola scriptura": it speaks for itself.
What constitutes your New Testament?

3) What was the new testament mutorian canon in the year 190 ad?
What's your relevance?

Do you agree with this early canon?
What is it, since you appear to think it's significant?

How did the early Christians come to know what books constituted the new testament and when was this done(Hint ,Hint 382 At the council of Rome)??
Hint: no. The saints in Rome, for instance, received Paul's letter to them around 60 AD. 322 years before this council you seem to vaunt. 322 years. Furthermore, Paul by the Spirit was the source of Romans even (albeit soon) before its recipients received it. Romans (for instance) didn't have to wait 322 years to become inspired!
Thanks

athanasius

Writer,

It is clear to me you have no answer to my questions. Obviously you cannot find one verse in scripture that teaches sola scriptura. This is important because in order for you to say that scripture alone is the sole infallible source for all Chrsitian doctrine then you must be able to prove this by scripture itself, you cannot go to outside sources. And you cannot do this. So i am waiting for the one verse in the "sole source(Bible)" for all Christians that says that "Scripture Alone is the only source for christians in reguards to doctrine and nothning else is given or to be used". Until you can quote me a verse from the bible that teaches that, then your position on sola scriptura refutes itself. You say that you know that the new testament canon is from matthew-revelation. How do you know that? The earliest christians had no clue what made up the entire new testament until 382 A.d. at the council of Rome. Up until then they(the early christians agreed on some of the books of the new testament(like the Gospels) but dissagreed with others. for example in the years 190 the earliest canon we can find called the mutorian canon accepted the Gospels but rejected Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, and 2nd Peter. This canon also accepted a book called the apocalypse of Peter, which no one adheres to today. Even as late as the 325 ad. these biblical books of James, Hebrews, and Peter and Revelation were still being disputed. Not all Christians beleived them to be truely inspired. While others such as the Epsitle to Clement or the shepherd of hermas were being treated as scripture in certain areas. It wasn't until a Catholic council(382 Council at Rome) under a Catholic Pope(Damasus I) utilizing Catholic apostolic tradition(seeing which books were in line with what was taught orally and handed down to each generation) to determine what this canon was and officially promulgate it. this decision was recognized and ratified in many other Catholic councils such as Hippo(393) and Carthage(397). All Christians, protestants and all groups such as the LDS when they rely on the authority of the new testament canon are really relying on the authority of Catholic Papal decrees and councils. Thus there are picking fruit from a tree they didn't plant. This is important becuase if the protestant says he is not, then he has to go back and read all the other books which were claiming to be scripture, such as the Epsitle of barnabus or the Shepherd of hermas etc. and decide for himself if it is scripture or not. If he does not do this then he relies on Romes Authority and thus nullfies the Sola Scriptura position by relying on a outside Catholic source to give him this revelation of the Canon(Which all Protestants and LDS do). Also, if the bible alone is our only source for revelation and true doctrine, then the bible itself should give us a list of all the books that would be in the bible? What book of the bible has this inspired table of contents? Does Romans say what books belong to the canon? does Galatians? Does Revelation itself say? NO one book in the bible has a gives us a inspired table of contents of what books belong in the bible. Remember the beginning table of contents in your bible is not inspired itself becuase it was not written by a apostle. In order for you to know what the new testament books are then Jesus or Paul or Peter or John would have to have written a inspired table of contents in one of thier books. But they didn't. And even if they would have, how would we know that that book itself is inspired? Simple, we need a outside source to tell us what the New testament Canon is. That source was historically the Catholic Church and its Popes and councils and traditions. No way of getting around it. Thus the sola scriptura theory goes into the waste basket You seemed to think that St Athansius taught sola scriptura. He did not. He taught what the Catholic church teaches. He taught material sufficieny of scripture, NOT sole suffciancy! By the way he was Catholic and a defender of the Catholic church and a Bishop. If you read his other writings agaisnt heresie you will see he also beleives in the Tradition of the fathers and the Catholic church.
For example "In A.D. 359 he says "but what is also to the point, let us note that the very Tradition, teaching, and faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles and preserved by the fathers. On this the church was founded; and if anyone departs from this, he neither is, nor any longer ought to be called, a Christian". So wow, doesn't sound like hes a sola scriptura guy to me? Oh, by the way according to him you wouldn't be considered a Christian becuase your not Catholic or in line with Church and tradition. Hmmmmm I say you should sudy history first and then see what you come up with. Ohhhh still waiting for that one verse in scripture that says that "Only scripture alone is the sole source for a Chrsitian"????? God bless

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
athanasius said:
Writer,

It is clear to me you have no answer to my questions. Obviously you cannot find one verse in scripture that teaches sola scriptura. This is important because in order for you to say that scripture alone is the sole infallible source for all Chrsitian doctrine then you must be able to prove this by scripture itself, you cannot go to outside sources. And you cannot do this. So i am waiting for the one verse in the "sole source(Bible)" for all Christians that says that "Scripture Alone is the only source for christians in reguards to doctrine and nothning else is given or to be used". Until you can quote me a verse from the bible that teaches that, then your position on sola scriptura refutes itself. You say that you know that the new testament canon is from matthew-revelation. How do you know that? The earliest christians had no clue what made up the entire new testament until 382 A.d. at the council of Rome. Up until then they(the early christians agreed on some of the books of the new testament(like the Gospels) but dissagreed with others. for example in the years 190 the earliest canon we can find called the mutorian canon accepted the Gospels but rejected Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, and 2nd Peter. This canon also accepted a book called the apocalypse of Peter, which no one adheres to today. Even as late as the 325 ad. these biblical books of James, Hebrews, and Peter and Revelation were still being disputed. Not all Christians beleived them to be truely inspired. While others such as the Epsitle to Clement or the shepherd of hermas were being treated as scripture in certain areas. It wasn't until a Catholic council(382 Council at Rome) under a Catholic Pope(Damasus I) utilizing Catholic apostolic tradition(seeing which books were in line with what was taught orally and handed down to each generation) to determine what this canon was and officially promulgate it. this decision was recognized and ratified in many other Catholic councils such as Hippo(393) and Carthage(397). All Christians, protestants and all groups such as the LDS when they rely on the authority of the new testament canon are really relying on the authority of Catholic Papal decrees and councils. Thus there are picking fruit from a tree they didn't plant. This is important becuase if the protestant says he is not, then he has to go back and read all the other books which were claiming to be scripture, such as the Epsitle of barnabus or the Shepherd of hermas etc. and decide for himself if it is scripture or not. If he does not do this then he relies on Romes Authority and thus nullfies the Sola Scriptura position by relying on a outside Catholic source to give him this revelation of the Canon(Which all Protestants and LDS do). Also, if the bible alone is our only source for revelation and true doctrine, then the bible itself should give us a list of all the books that would be in the bible? What book of the bible has this inspired table of contents? Does Romans say what books belong to the canon? does Galatians? Does Revelation itself say? NO one book in the bible has a gives us a inspired table of contents of what books belong in the bible. Remember the beginning table of contents in your bible is not inspired itself becuase it was not written by a apostle. In order for you to know what the new testament books are then Jesus or Paul or Peter or John would have to have written a inspired table of contents in one of thier books. But they didn't. And even if they would have, how would we know that that book itself is inspired? Simple, we need a outside source to tell us what the New testament Canon is. That source was historically the Catholic Church and its Popes and councils and traditions. No way of getting around it. Thus the sola scriptura theory goes into the waste basket You seemed to think that St Athansius taught sola scriptura. He did not. He taught what the Catholic church teaches. He taught material sufficieny of scripture, NOT sole suffciancy! By the way he was Catholic and a defender of the Catholic church and a Bishop. If you read his other writings agaisnt heresie you will see he also beleives in the Tradition of the fathers and the Catholic church.
For example "In A.D. 359 he says "but what is also to the point, let us note that the very Tradition, teaching, and faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles and preserved by the fathers. On this the church was founded; and if anyone departs from this, he neither is, nor any longer ought to be called, a Christian". So wow, doesn't sound like hes a sola scriptura guy to me? Oh, by the way according to him you wouldn't be considered a Christian becuase your not Catholic or in line with Church and tradition. Hmmmmm I say you should sudy history first and then see what you come up with. Ohhhh still waiting for that one verse in scripture that says that "Only scripture alone is the sole source for a Chrsitian"????? God bless
:cover:

"Why God Created Paragraphs" : or, take a deep breath why don't you.

Christians, are we here to marginalize one another? Vilify one another? Or are we here to embrace and love one another as He loved us?

In the great scheme of things, what is important to me is that I worship God who made me and Christ who saved me, NOT the Bible, nor any doctrine, nor any institution, building, or dogma.

As to the great Solas: Frankly I would much rather read the Bible prayerfully in humble reliance upon the Holy Spirit than to try anymore to sort out the mad cacophany of competing doctrines reflected in some of the posts here. Our dear Father loves imparting knowledge of Himself and giving all good gifts to His children. Of that I am assured. I cling to the author and finisher of my faith, my trust is in HIm always:

For I am convinced that neither death nor life,
neither angels nor demons,
neither the present nor the future,
nor any powers, neither height nor depth,
nor anything else in all creation,
will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

A

angellous_evangellous

I've been a Protestant all my life, and ordained in the Baptist church a few years ago for the pastoral ministry. I've completely abandoned the idea of sola scriptura because the Protestant canon and the unbelievably high value that Protestants place on it is historically and theologically unjustifiable.

Protestants speak of the canon as "one" - theirs, and must explain the longer canons of the rest of the Church (most notably the Catholic and Ethiopian) churches as uninspired by God when the Protestant canon is historically dependent on the Catholic one. Most importantly, sola scriptura fails its own test = it is not defensible from Scripture and completely defies logic in that it selectively affirms the traditions of the Church.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
angellous_evangellous said:
I've been a Protestant all my life, and ordained in the Baptist church a few years ago for the pastoral ministry. I've completely abandoned the idea of sola scriptura because the Protestant canon and the unbelievably high value that Protestants place on it is historically and theologically unjustifiable.

Protestants speak of the canon as "one" - theirs, and must explain the longer canons of the rest of the Church (most notably the Catholic and Ethiopian) churches as uninspired by God when the Protestant canon is historically dependent on the Catholic one. Most importantly, sola scriptura fails its own test = it is not defensible from Scripture and completely defies logic in that it selectively affirms the traditions of the Church.

*waits in anticipation where God is leading AA*

This was a difficult blow for me to take when I first confronted it. I dragged my feet, and eventually became Catholic.

sojourner

Maybe it's just because of the way I was reared -- my father is a minister -- but I was reared Protestant and never understood sola scriptura to be a valid paradigm.

Perhaps we should stop assuming that sola scriptura, while a product of Protestantism, is not an identifying hallmark of Protestantism.

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
sola scriptura, while a product of Protestantism, is not an identifying hallmark of Protestantism.

You're putting the cart before the horse here.

Sola Scriptura is the justification for the very existence of the Protestant churches. It replaces apostolic succession and the papacy (from the West) and tradition (both East and West). There would be no Protestant churches today had not Luther espoused this idea and the plethora of denomenations that sprung from it not disagreed about key verses, each touting their interpretation of Scripture according to sola scriptura.

From the mighty wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sola_scriptura:

"Sola scriptura reverses the relationship between Scripture and Church authority as it had been understood in Catholic Tradition. The Catholic Church teaches that its teaching authority is as interpreter of Scripture and that Scripture is to be understood in light of Apostolic Tradition; Sola scriptura makes individual interpretation of Scripture the interpreter of tradition. As John Wesley stated in the 18th century, "The Church is to be judged by the Scriptures, not the Scriptures by the Church." For this reason, Sola scriptura is called the formal cause of the Reformation."

Sola scrpitura is not the product of the Reformation, but the cause of the Reformation.

sojourner

angellous_evangellous said:

Sola Scriptura is the justification for the very existence of the Protestant churches. It replaces apostolic succession and the papacy (from the West) and tradition (both East and West). There would be no Protestant churches today had not Luther espoused this idea and the plethora of denomenations that sprung from it not disagreed about key verses, each touting their interpretation of Scripture according to sola scriptura.

"Sola scriptura reverses the relationship between Scripture and Church authority as it had been understood in Catholic Tradition. The Catholic Church teaches that its teaching authority is as interpreter of Scripture and that Scripture is to be understood in light of Apostolic Tradition; Sola scriptura makes individual interpretation of Scripture the interpreter of tradition. As John Wesley stated in the 18th century, "The Church is to be judged by the Scriptures, not the Scriptures by the Church." For this reason, Sola scriptura is called the formal cause of the Reformation."

Sola scrpitura is not the product of the Reformation, but the cause of the Reformation.

However, many Protestants today do not espouse sola scriptura. Therefore, how can it be an identifying hallmark? Just because we do not recognize a single line of authority does not mean that authority does not exist. I may not espouse R.C. authority, but I do espouse some authority of the Tradition. Sola Scriptura, while originally identified by its protest against one authority, has been redefined to include all authority. I just don't think that's where the majority of Protestants are these days.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
sojourner said:
Maybe it's just because of the way I was reared -- my father is a minister -- but I was reared Protestant and never understood sola scriptura to be a valid paradigm.

Perhaps we should stop assuming that sola scriptura, while a product of Protestantism, is not an identifying hallmark of Protestantism.

:clap :clap :clap

Thank you.

Faith alone, grace alone, Christ alone: how's that for Sola.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
sojourner said:
However, many Protestants today do not espouse sola scriptura. Therefore, how can it be an identifying hallmark? Just because we do not recognize a single line of authority does not mean that authority does not exist. I may not espouse R.C. authority, but I do espouse some authority of the Tradition. Sola Scriptura, while originally identified by its protest against one authority, has been redefined to include all authority. I just don't think that's where the majority of Protestants are these days.
Okay, now you're gonna get fruballed. :yes:

ae said:

You may wish to refer to it as the "formal cause". However it is more historically accurate to take a look at the root cause, which was Luther's logical, reasonable, and spiritually correct response to:

A. The reprehensible practice of selling "Indulgences "
B. Papal abuses

These are what radicalized a righteous and sincere Catholic theologian. Luther was a monk whose monastic life (marked by prayer, fasting and pilgrimage) was above reproach. His ordination into the priesthood and further studies of scripture leading to his Doctorate in Theology were a direct result of orders given to him by his superiors within the Church. "He was received into the senate of the theological faculty of the University of Wittenberg, having been called to the position of Doctor in Bible."

When he responded to the loathesome practices within the Church at that time, and tried to appeal to the Pope he was ostracized, excommunicated and marked for assassination.

On another thread someone mentioned Luther's actions at the time were righteous, problem was that he threw the baby out with the bathwater. To me it is understandable, the bathwater being clogged with so much filth and debris the baby would be hard to find indeed.

So I would have to say to the RCC:

Any one of you RC's with a Bible in your hand would have done the same with the same sad consequences, so please quit blaming protestants for cleaning your own closet.

We have our flaws, the schism was tragic, and we love you anyway.

athanasius

Moon woman, you still haven't answered the real question. You haven't proved to me that sola scriptura was false. You state that doctrine isn't important to you only a realationship with Christ is. But that is puzzling because where do you get your information that you need a raltionship with Jesus from? Do you get it from the bible alone? or the bible and tradition? If you get it from the bible alone then you believe in sola scriptura and that's a problem.