• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian, prove from scripture Astral projection is demonic

I want to talk to a Christian or a Jew about astral projection. Why do you think it's demonic? Why do you think God does not aprove of the practice of astral projection via meditation techniques? What is your scriptural evidence that astral projection is wrong? Currently I am convinced it's not wrong or demonic from scripture, but am open to dialogue and be convinced otherwise. And i hope i got this question in the right section of the forum, not sure. But either case, here it is.

For those who don't know, astral projection is the means of having out of body experiences through meditation and mind work.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
What makes you think we think it's demonic?:shrug:
A priest at a church I used to visit believed in astral projection and auras; he believed it was Biblical.

To expand (rudely, I might add) upon the OP's question, what do you think about it? Bogus, real, anything? :)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
A priest at a church I used to visit believed in astral projection and auras; he believed it was Biblical.

To expand (rudely, I might add) upon the OP's question, what do you think about it? Bogus, real, anything? :)

Never really thought about it. I don't think it's denomic at any rate. I've heard of people having out of body experiences when they "died" but I never heard of it being done with work. I've never experienced it, so I can't say whether it's bogus or not.

What makes you think we think it's demonic?:shrug:

Ummm....well, if you say you don't think it's demonic, well then, i believe you, lol.

But many christians ive talked to in person, think that it is, which i find....odd.

They think it's a form of witchcraft, but i don't see it that way.

I have experienced one by self inducing it through meditation, i can attest it is real.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Ummm....well, if you say you don't think it's demonic, well then, i believe you, lol.

But many christians ive talked to in person, think that it is, which i find....odd.

They think it's a form of witchcraft, but i don't see it that way.

I have experienced one by self inducing it through meditation, i can attest it is real.

You'll find that many people think almost anything is demonic. I knew someone once who told me that she thought Scooby Doo (the TV show) was demonic. I'd never really heard much about it but I don't think it's demonic.

InChrist

Free4ever
I think purposely seeking to have trance-like, out-of-body experiences is outside of God's will and puts one in a spiritually and possibly physically vulnerable position where the mind is open to being deceived by demons.

"A voluntary out-of-body experience, or an “astral projection,” is a different story. A person trying to achieve an out-of-body experience in order to connect with spirits or the spirit world is practicing the occult."

"The Bible explicitly warns against occult practice, or sorcery, in Galatians 5:19-20, saying that those who practice it will not inherit God's kingdom. God's commands are always for our good, and He commands us to stay far away from occult practices because there is great potential, when trying to access the spiritual world, of opening oneself up to demons who can tell us lies about God and confuse our minds."

excerpt from:

What does the Bible say about an out of body experience / astral projection?

outhouse

Atheistically
You'll find that many people think almost anything is demonic. I knew someone once who told me that she thought Scooby Doo (the TV show) was demonic. I'd never really heard much about it but I don't think it's demonic.

yep, even water dowsing was considered witchcraft

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I want to talk to a Christian or a Jew about astral projection. Why do you think it's demonic? Why do you think God does not aprove of the practice of astral projection via meditation techniques? What is your scriptural evidence that astral projection is wrong? Currently I am convinced it's not wrong or demonic from scripture, but am open to dialogue and be convinced otherwise. And i hope i got this question in the right section of the forum, not sure. But either case, here it is.

For those who don't know, astral projection is the means of having out of body experiences through meditation and mind work.

What do people who practice yoga say about it?
Hindus claim that the figures sitting in yoga positions are images of the god Siva who is often worshiped through the lingam, a phallic symbol. So that is a clue as to why it would be contrary to Holy Bibles laws against spiritism. It is a form of worship of the god Siva.

The book 'Hindu World' says that yoga is “a code of ascetic practices, mainly pre-Aryan in origin, containing relics of many primitive conceptions and observances.” So it is a known religious practice.

According to the Indian yogic sage Patañjali whow wrote the Yoga Sutra, yoga is “a methodical effort to attain perfection, through the control of the different elements of human nature, physical and psychical.” Some practicers even believe that it will lead them to attain moksha through a merging with an all-pervading spirit. So we would have to conclude that it is certainly linked to spiritism.

And when you consider how it is practiced in India, you would have to admit that some supernatural power is involved. When in a trance, the body does not feel extreme heat or cold which is how they can walk on fire or remain alive while buried, they can even have teeth pulled out without feeling it. Its also been said that some can read anothers thoughts or have visions of things happening in far away places.

In June*1995, The Times of India reported that a three-and-a-half-year-old girl lay in a trance as a car was allowed to run over her abdomen. To the amazement of the crowd, when she awoke she was totally unharmed. The report added: “It was sheer yogic power.”

So yoga does employ some form of supernatural power, but the question is which form of supernatural power is it employing?

God warned Isreal not to practice any of the religious customs of the nations around them and that included spiritism as Deut 18:9-10 says to keep away from “anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer.”
According to the NT they are works of the demons and of the fallen flesh. Galatians 5:19-21.

roger1440

I do stuff
Astral projections fall outside the confines of faith. I’m not saying astral projections are “wrong” or “demonic”. The problem is that they cannot be trusted. Therefore they are best left alone. There are many reoccurring themes in the New Testament. One of the most prevalent is faith. If you search any good bible concordance for the word “faith” hundreds of verses would be listed. I hope that meets your criteria for proof. A very good book on the topic is “The Collected Works of Saint John of the Cross”. The book would probably keep you busy for years. It’s nearly 800 pages. If you look closely at the miracles of Jesus they were done for the faithful. For the unfaithful, the sign of Jonah was given.

I think purposely seeking to have trance-like, out-of-body experiences is outside of God's will and puts one in a spiritually and possibly physically vulnerable position where the mind is open to being deceived by demons.

How does inducing an out of body experience put the mind in a position where it's open to being deceived by demons? A person's mind can be in a position to be open to be decieved by demons while being IN their body as well, you don't have to be out of your body to be decieved by demons. And just because your out of your body, what if you choose to be careful what spirits you come in contact with? Just like being careful while in the body?

"A voluntary out-of-body experience, or an “astral projection,” is a different story. A person trying to achieve an out-of-body experience in order to connect with spirits or the spirit world is practicing the occult."
"The Bible explicitly warns against occult practice, or sorcery, in Galatians 5:19-20, saying that those who practice it will not inherit God's kingdom. God's commands are always for our good, and He commands us to stay far away from occult practices because there is great potential, when trying to access the spiritual world, of opening oneself up to demons who can tell us lies about God and confuse our minds."

excerpt from:

What does the Bible say about an out of body experience / astral projection?

How is inducing an out of body experience considered sorcery according to the bible? The bible does not say "inducing out of body experiences is sorcery". How do you know it's clasified into the cadegory of sorcery? Actually the word sorcery in gelatians 5:19-20 is the greek word "pharmakia" where we get the word "pharmacy" from and this pharmakia means "the use or the administering of drugs" or "poisoning" or "sorcery, magical a rts, often found in CONNECTION with idolatry and fostered by it" or "the deceptions and seductions of idolatry".

Now inducing an out of body experience is not worshiping another god or an idol, it's not taking drugs, it's not poison. So what say you now? The pot thickens, lets here what you have to say?

Rocky S

Christian Goth
I personally do not believe in astral projection. But from a Christian perspective, I am not sure about the prohibition in the bible against it. Nor do I understand the practice of it. But I do know the bible prohibits any practice of sorcery or witchcraft in any form. Now in saying that, I am not sure if this falls under the banner of sorcery. I am not educated in astral project other than some of my favorite comic book characters has this ability :)

InChrist

Free4ever
How does inducing an out of body experience put the mind in a position where it's open to being deceived by demons? A person's mind can be in a position to be open to be decieved by demons while being IN their body as well, you don't have to be out of your body to be decieved by demons. And just because your out of your body, what if you choose to be careful what spirits you come in contact with? Just like being careful while in the body?

How is inducing an out of body experience considered sorcery according to the bible? The bible does not say "inducing out of body experiences is sorcery". How do you know it's clasified into the cadegory of sorcery? Actually the word sorcery in gelatians 5:19-20 is the greek word "pharmakia" where we get the word "pharmacy" from and this pharmakia means "the use or the administering of drugs" or "poisoning" or "sorcery, magical a rts, often found in CONNECTION with idolatry and fostered by it" or "the deceptions and seductions of idolatry".

Now inducing an out of body experience is not worshiping another god or an idol, it's not taking drugs, it's not poison. So what say you now? The pot thickens, lets here what you have to say?

When a person is having an out of body experience as in astral projection they are in a trance-like state in the same way as one is during hypnosis and are therefore open to suggestions and impressions from spiritual beings more intelligent and powerful than themselves. So the possibility to be deceived is real.

I think astral projection falls under the category of sorcery because is it an attempt to reach an altered spiritual state, have a spiritual experience, or gain spiritual insights apart from God's authorized way of experiencing and knowing spiritual truth. Since this disobeys God it is a form of idolatry and I believe opens one to spiritual deception.

God warned Isreal not to practice any of the religious customs of the nations around them and that included spiritism as Deut 18:9-10 says to keep away from “anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer.”
According to the NT they are works of the demons and of the fallen flesh. Galatians 5:19-21.

Deut 18:9-10 , lets look at the broader context of this, many times this is taken way to simply and out of context, but I am not going to delve into this scripture shallowly.

deuteronomy 13:1-3 "If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer."

deuteronomy 18:21 "You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed."

So from these two passages, notice what it says? If a prophet speaks something and it DOES COME TO PASS, but then he says let's follow other gods, THEN he is a FALSE prophet. Also if what a prophet says, does NOT COME to pass, BUT he is not proclaiming false gods, then he is STILL a false prophet. So, a TRUE prophet, is someone who problaims something, it comes to pass, and he speaks in the name of the true and living God.

The context of deuteronomy 18:9-10 is talking about the natians the isrialites are going to meet in the promised land, those natians worshiped and followed FALSE gods, also they passed their children through the fire, that was the first thing mentioned in deuteronomy 18:9-10. All of there practices they did, revolved around their false gods. Is talking to the dead sorcery all the time? If so then Jesus would have done it in Matthew 17:3, Also if divination is always evil, then Joseph in Genesis 44:15 must have done evil then huh? Also if it's always evil, why would Ezekial say in 13:7 "Have you not seen false visions and uttered lying divinations when you say, “The Lord declares,” though I have not spoken?" so he talked about LYING divinations, that implies their is a TRUE, just like there is true visions, as their are false. Also numbers 22:7 says for false divination their is a fee, that ballaam was going to take. Also jude alludes to this as saying "they have rushed for profit into balaams error". Plus the word divination is latin for "to forsee or be inspired by a god" well you can be inspired by false gods or the TRUE God.

So, i'll leave it their for now. My point is, inducing an out of body experience is not evil. Stop looking at this in a shallow way, if you think it's evil, explain logically why it's evil, show how it's evil, present a case against it.

When a person is having an out of body experience as in astral projection they are in a trance-like state in the same way as one is during hypnosis and are therefore open to suggestions and impressions from spiritual beings more intelligent and powerful than themselves. So the possibility to be deceived is real.

You can be decieved by demons without inducing an out of body experience. Also having an out of body experience is not always a trance like state, it's achieved through a lucid dream, are you goin to tell me lucid dreams are evil? Or occultic?

I think astral projection falls under the category of sorcery because is it an attempt to reach an altered spiritual state, have a spiritual experience, or gain spiritual insights apart from God's authorized way of experiencing and knowing spiritual truth. Since this disobeys God it is a form of idolatry and I believe opens one to spiritual deception.

And what is wrong with persuing a spiritual experience? specifically, what is wrong with an out of body experience, secondly, how do you know God is against it? And why would God be against it?

Last edited: