• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian meditation

Heim

The Roman Catholic Church of Belgium started a website called 'Start de Stilte' (literally 'Start the Silence) some time ago. The website has various pages on prayer, meditation and contemplation in a Christian context. There's guides on meditating with mantra's, praying the rosary, some yoga techniques, praying with the bible, etc.

The website is in Dutch, but I still thought I'd share it. It is a nice initiative.

Start de Stilte

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I think it was Pope John Paul II. who stated that Zen meditation was allowed for Catholics.

Thanks for the lead! I found this letter written by Pope Benedict XVI when he was Cardinal Ratzinger. It specifically addresses meditation for Catholics. It's interesting, but it would be nice if they would include the tl;dr version. My take is that meditation and other "eastern" practices are OK as long as they have a goal of and are focused on God via Christ.

The letter was approved by Pope John Paul II, but it also has a footnote referring to a homily by John Paul II that doesn't necessarily not support meditation but cautions against a "mental void".