• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian help?

Christian Gnosis

I have never really been a person of any faith, born into orthodoxy but family hardly practices at all (went to church a few times). I am currently looking towards an organized religion to better myself seeing as life seems to put me down all the time, I want to find some answers.

I am looking towards Christianity(most likely protestant, but not 100% on this) or Buddhism.

What I wanted to know about Christianity is what version of the bible should I read? I currently have the NLT version, but is there more recommended versions? also what are the major differences between the different branches of Christianity? they all seem fairly similar from what I read. **The different branches question I want answered most if anyone can**

I am planning to talk with a pastor within the next few days to ask him some of these questions, but I wanted to get a head-start until then.

any and all help is appreciated.

***And yes this post looks very similar to the one in Buddhism cause I just copy/pasted it over and switched some words, I can be lazy too :D

***This topic is in the general christian forum but I put it here too, because it fits here better and seems like more people post in this specific forum.

Get a NRSV recommended. It's a very good modern translation based on good scholarship. I am both a Christian and a Buddhist, if that means anything.

esmith

Veteran Member
I like you have restarted my religious search after many decades of not attending any church. I happened to come across some seminars put out by a company (Not sure if I can advertise their name or not so will not ). The Old Testament, The New Testament, and Lost Christianities: Christian Scriptures and the Battle Over Authentication. None of these are theological structured. They were kind of expensive (DVD or CD) but I found them to be quite informative. All were given by different professors of religious studies at different university. I also did a seminar entitled: The Dead Sea Scrolls by Professor Gary A. Rendsburg was interesting.

Last edited: