• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian fundamentalism can be very abusive!

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
I guess neither do you understand the genre of myth as it pertains to the Bible which is so typical of a fundamentalist/literalist.

And BTW - How come you completely avoided answering my questions?

You even edited them out - LOL.

So here they are again:

Unfortunately you are so deeply brainwashed that you just cannot face the truth about your mythology.

So are you claiming that in Christianity:

Jesus is NOT "returning" to destroy this world?

That the Christian church is NOT against homosexuals?

That no Christians force their beliefs upon others?

That everything in this world is NOT being fought over by your mythical "god" and Satan?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I have no problem with moderate Christians like my own three daughters, who don't force their faith on anyone. My problem is with those who seek to convert others by threatening them with the tortures of hell if they don't get 'saved'.

Religion of that nature spoilt my childhood, we attended a pentecostal church where the hell-fire sermons were a feature Sunday after Sunday. They used to give me nightmares as a kid. Scaring children and the vulnerable in this way is very abusive and can be damaging. It should be treated like any other abuse, especially as there is no evidence whatsoever to support Biblical literalism.
I've known fundamentalists who don't obsess about hell, and whose children are taught that God loves them. I agree that toxic churches are much, much more common in fundamentalist churches. But let's just not say that all fundamentalist churches are toxic. And certainly not all fundamentalist families.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
And BTW - How come you completely avoided answering my questions?

You even edited them out - LOL.

So here they are again:
I am not Christian, but in the Christian view, none of your questions are a simple yes or no, and all the qualifications are significant.

1. Jesus is NOT "returning" to destroy this world?

Jesus is returning to REMAKE the world. Not to obliterate it. It's the way you sometimes tear down a kitchen in order to remodel it. It's not the same as eliminating a kitchen from the house.

2. That the Christian church is NOT against homosexuals?

How many times have you heard the phrase ad nauseum, love the sinner, hate the sin. Agreed that not all Christians live this, but this appears to be the teaching of Christianity, as in Jesus forgiving the woman caught in adultery. The way a Catholic explained it to me was that there was no sin in same sex attraction, but the sin is homosexual behavior. Thus their church welcomes gays (and all sinners) into the pews, even while it doesn't condone their behavior. That's not the same as bullying gays.

3. That no Christians force their beliefs upon others?

You can't blame any group for the behavior of the lunatic fringe. Christianity has given up force. What you do see is rude, inappropriate behavior, triumphalism, an assumption that others will be open to hearing their "testimonies" and such. None of that is the same as saying convert or leave the country, or convert or die, or convert or else anything else.

4. That everything in this world is NOT being fought over by your mythical "god" and Satan?

I remember an argument I was privy to between an atheist and a Christian. The atheist was saying that Christianity was a form of dualism, where Jesus and Satan duke it out until the end of time. (Why does that sound South Park?) The Christian explained that Satan was not a god like Jesus was, that Satan was a mere fallen angel. If that's Christian teaching, it sure sounds like God is holding back the punches.

And I don't think Christians believe that Satan and Jesus fight over whether you should have your eggs scrambled or fried.

JJ50

My late unlamented in-laws were Christian fundies. :eek: My mother-in-law and god were great buddies, he shared her opinions on everything. God enjoyed the same TV programmes, and approved of the clothes she liked too, as well as her disapproval of her son, my husband, because he didn't see it her crazy way.