• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian fundamentalism can be very abusive!

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes, it certainly has. That's why critical interpretation is so important.
Agreed absolutely. Also the conviction that God would never allow torture eternal for anyone. Therefore exact interpretation is essential to understand the underlying principle that it is a figurative, not literal description.

JJ50

If one reads the Bible literally, it doesn't present the god featured therein in a very good light at all.

pearl

reads the Bible literally, it doesn't present the god featured therein in a very good light at all.

Biblical anthropomorphism works both ways in presenting God as angry and vindictive, and also as lover in the most intimate terms. Unfortunately for those who are predisposed to the former conveniently ignore the latter.

JJ50

Biblical anthropomorphism works both ways in presenting God as angry and vindictive, and also as lover in the most intimate terms. Unfortunately for those who are predisposed to the former conveniently ignore the latter.

Where is the Biblical god displayed as a lover, unless you mean supposedly getting Mary pregnant?

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
It is not the Bible that inspires ones faith, it is faith that inspires one to open the Bible.

So typical of a Christian to edit out something they don't want to face, then take the remaining tiny part and twist it around to suit their deception.

So here's my ENTIRE post that you repllied to:

The bible was only inspired by evil self serving men who wanted to start a new church so they can con people out of their money. I has nothing to do with any true spiritual matters or of any God. So it doesn't matter what denomination of Christian churches teaches it, it's all flawed from the get go.

Si is that what you get out of your mythology, how to deceive?

pearl

The bible was only inspired by evil self serving men who wanted to start a new church so they can con people out of their money. I has nothing to do with any true spiritual matters or of any God. So it doesn't matter what denomination of Christian churches teaches it, it's all flawed from the get go.

You do realize that the term Bible includes Hebrew Scripture and what we have in both Scriptures is the story of a peoples experience with their God. As I stated previously, your mind is predisposed. closed off to any insight, value Scripture may provide.

Audie

Veteran Member
What love? There is nothing loving about the Biblical god, it comes over as an evil psycho.

This thing about "love" in Chridtianity is
quite strange.

"God is love". makes no sense.

Raising one of several aspects of human brain function
to an operating principle of the univrrse is just bonkers.

JJ50

One would expect a god who is supposedly responsible for creating the universe to be genderless and way above human machinations. However, the Biblical god is portrayed as a male and very human, having the worst characteristics. When the documents making up the Bible were written, males were in control, and it would appear that it was the authors' intentions to portray their god as more scary than gods of other religions.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
So typical of a Christian to edit out something they don't want to face, then take the remaining tiny part and twist it around to suit their deception.

So here's my ENTIRE post that you repllied to:

"The bible was only inspired by evil self serving men who wanted to start a new church so they can con people out of their money. I has nothing to do with any true spiritual matters or of any God. So it doesn't matter what denomination of Christian churches teaches it, it's all flawed from the get go."

So is that what you get out of your mythology, how to deceive?

You do realize that the term Bible includes Hebrew Scripture and what we have in both Scriptures is the story of a peoples experience with their God. As I stated previously, your mind is predisposed. closed off to any insight, value Scripture may provide.

What value? The bible is claimed to hold ALL the spiritual answers, yet is completely void of anything of true spiritual understanding. ALL that it does is fill people's minds with delusions so that they can no longer view the reality around them. They cannot see the world for what it really is. Instead they are brainwashed to believe that any minute now the world will be destroyed and their "god" will return, and in the meantime they are taught to hate and persecute gays, force their beliefs upon others to mess up their lives also, that hiding behind the scenes is their mythical "god" and Satan battling it out over every little thing that happens in this world, Etc, etc, etc... What a MESS. NONE of those delusions are real. And you call THAT "value"??? I surely don't.

pearl

They cannot see the world for what it really is. Instead they are brainwashed to believe that any minute now the world will be destroyed and their "god" will return

Unfortunately you seem to know nothing of the Bible beyond literalism. Its the attitude that exemplifies the OP.

Hawkins

I have no problem with moderate Christians like my own three daughters, who don't force their faith on anyone. My problem is with those who seek to convert others by threatening them with the tortures of hell if they don't get 'saved'.

Religion of that nature spoilt my childhood, we attended a pentecostal church where the hell-fire sermons were a feature Sunday after Sunday. They used to give me nightmares as a kid. Scaring children and the vulnerable in this way is very abusive and can be damaging. It should be treated like any other abuse, especially as there is no evidence whatsoever to support Biblical literalism.

I agree that hell should not be used as a threat to force anyone into Christianity. However on the other hand if hell is a truth then how would you like this piece of truth to be conveyed?

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
What value? The bible is claimed to hold ALL the spiritual answers, yet is completely void of anything of true spiritual understanding. ALL that it does is fill people's minds with delusions so that they can no longer view the reality around them. They cannot see the world for what it really is. Instead they are brainwashed to believe that any minute now the world will be destroyed and their "god" will return, and in the meantime they are taught to hate and persecute gays, force their beliefs upon others to mess up their lives also, that hiding behind the scenes is their mythical "god" and Satan battling it out over every little thing that happens in this world, Etc, etc, etc... What a MESS. NONE of those delusions are real. And you call THAT "value"??? I surely don't.

Unfortunately you seem to know nothing of the Bible beyond literalism. Its the attitude that exemplifies the OP.

Unfortunately you are so deeply brainwashed that you just cannot face the truth about your mythology.

So are you claiming that in Christianity:

Jesus is NOT "returning" to destroy this world?

That the Christian church is NOT against homosexuals?

That no Christians force their beliefs upon others?

That everything in this world is NOT being fought over by your mythical "god" and Satan?

pearl

Unfortunately you are so deeply brainwashed that you just cannot face the truth about your mythology.

I guess neither do you understand the genre of myth as it pertains to the Bible which is so typical of a fundamentalist/literalist.