• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Denominations

Squirt

dawny0826 said:
I've listened to local Catholic sermons on television without flinching. And I'm considering going to a LDS service in the near future.

My belief in Christ is unshakeable. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable in a bible believing church that teaches the gospel of Christ...period. I would totally go to a Catholic service.

I have yet to sit through a service that preaches a different MESSAGE. Even the Catholic sermons are "comfortable"...the message is the very SAME Christ. You're dealing with a different STYLE of worship and approach to scripture...the inspiration behind the man in the pulpit is the same.

And mind you...Lutherans do things QUITE differently than Pentecostals. SAME Christ. Same message. DIfferent traditions. I have yet to pick up on any conflicting messages. :)

Edit: I enjoy the free spirited worship at my church and then there are Sundays, where I feel like worshipping in a more formal environment...kneeling at the alter for communion. I feel the Holy Spirit move just as strongly in my mother's church as I do at my own.
That's really neat, Dawny! I went to a midnight mass at the Catholic Cathedral where I live once (at Christmas). I had really looked forward to it, but I hadn't expected to really have a spiritual experience. I figured it would be interesting but that's all. Boy, was I ever wrong! It was awesome!

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Squirt said:
That's really neat, Dawny! I went to a midnight mass at the Catholic Cathedral where I live once (at Christmas). I had really looked forward to it, but I hadn't expected to really have a spiritual experience. I figured it would be interesting but that's all. Boy, was I ever wrong! It was awesome!

For me, there's a liberation and almost a profound beauty in experiencing a bit of different "faiths". I believe very much in one, unified body of Christ. You learn much by "walking in another's shoes" for a while.

I wish some of the LDS here lived a bit closer. I'd love to go to church with you all. :)

Scott1

I'm reading a lot about how a certain church made you "feel" and the like.... I don't go to Church for me to feel better or attend a different Church if I'm in the mood for something more "upbeat".... I go out of love for Christ... Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity in the Eucharist. Period.

Hate to be a party pooper, but I know ya'll still love me... just gotta toss some perspective that Church to some of us is something more that just a "feel-good" gathering.

Peace,
Scott

Squirt

dawny0826 said:
For me, there's a liberation and almost a profound beauty in experiencing a bit of different "faiths". I believe very much in one, unified body of Christ. You learn much by "walking in another's shoes" for a while.

I wish some of the LDS here lived a bit closer. I'd love to go to church with you all. :)
SoyLeche lives in Virginia, Dawny, but I don't know exactly where. I can guarantee you without even asking him that he would love for you to join him and his family at church.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Scott1 said:
I'm reading a lot about how a certain church made you "feel" and the like.... I don't go to Church for me to feel better or attend a different Church if I'm in the mood for something more "upbeat".... I go out of love for Christ... Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity in the Eucharist. Period.

Hate to be a party pooper, but I know ya'll still love me... just gotta toss some perspective that Church to some of us is something more that just a "feel-good" gathering.

Peace,
Scott

I'm not sure if this was directed towards comments that I made or not.

I go to church because of love for Christ, as well.

I was simply trying to illustrate that my faith does not center around my religious denomination. My faith centers around Christ and that I can worship in ANY church where CHRIST Jesus and the Word of the God is preached...regardless of the religious denomination of the church.

I'm well aware that worship isn't about ME.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
My denomination? I prefer twenties, unmarked of course.

As for the various sects within Christianity, I like Paul's view...

I Corinthians 1: 10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ."
13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 14 I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. NIV

I guess I will stick with the names found in the Bible: Christian, church of Christ, church of God, Disciples, the Way. But all of them go back to the same body: the ecclesia. I really don't CARE what names man comes up with.

Jerrell

1Co 11:18 - For first of all, when ye come together in the church(All Christian), I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

1Co 1:10 - Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

We have failed to do this. Atleast let's still do what we need to do. We are one body in Christ, and though we divide ourselves we are together in the Lord.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Jerrell said:
We have failed to do this. Atleast let's still do what we need to do. We are one body in Christ, and though we divide ourselves we are together in the Lord.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

Which is why I choose not to focus on my mere denomination. All who in Christ are part of ONE Body.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
dawny0826 said:
I agree, wholeheartedly.

Which is why I choose not to focus on my mere denomination. All who in Christ are part of ONE Body.
I don't consider myself a 'conservative Christian', but I just wanted to post and agree with Jerrell and Dawn. Plus, when I first set my profile, Disciple of Christ was too many letters to fit. :p I don't know if it still is.