• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Denominations

Squirt

I've always thought it kind of strange that most of the more conservative Christians seem to avoid naming their particular denomination in their profile. For the most part, Roman Catholics will say they are Roman Catholic. Orthodox Christians will claim to be just that. Latter-day Saints generally mention this in their profiles, as do Jehovah's Witnesses. Why is it that the more fundamentalist or conservative evangelical groups (not said disparagingly, I promise) so seldom state which denomination they affiliate with? There are a whole lot of RFers who claim to be Christians and yet their beliefs span the spectrum of Christian doctrine. Is there a reason why these folks don't want us to know where they worship?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I've always thought it kind of strange that most of the more conservative Christians seem to avoid naming their particular denomination in their profile. For the most part, Roman Catholics will say they are Roman Catholic. Orthodox Christians will claim to be just that. Latter-day Saints generally mention this in their profiles, as do Jehovah's Witnesses. Why is it that the more fundamentalist or conservative evangelical groups (not said disparagingly, I promise) so seldom state which denomination they affiliate with? There are a whole lot of RFers who claim to be Christians and yet their beliefs span the spectrum of Christian doctrine. Is there a reason why these folks don't want us to know where they worship?

Because we are asked for our religion. I certainly don't consider my "denomination" (for lack of a better word) to be seperate from my religion, Christianity. If it asked for a denomination, then I would state mine. If there is a problem with not knowing where other people worship, maybe we could make a thread that asks Christians to state their denominations. I wouldn't have a problem with such a thread, sometimes I am curious about other RFers denominations. But it seems rude to PM them and ask......

Squirt

Christiangirl0909 said:
Because we are asked for our religion. I certainly don't consider my "denomination" (for lack of a better word) to be seperate from my religion, Christianity. If it asked for a denomination, then I would state mine. If there is a problem with not knowing where other people worship, maybe we could make a thread that asks Christians to state their denominations. I wouldn't have a problem with such a thread, sometimes I am curious about other RFers denominations. But it seems rude to PM them and ask......
Well, I don't believe people should be pressured to give out this information if they don't want to. On the other hand, you've got to admit that the beliefs of Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, Pentacostals, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh-Day Adventists are pretty different at times. We all believe that our comments and statements are representative of "Christianity," but I just personally prefer knowing in a little more detail what a person believes. I can pretty much do that when a specific denomination is mentioned.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Well, I don't believe people should be pressured to give out this information if they don't want to.

I don't think it would be pressure to create a thread such as the one I described. I mean, they don't have to click on it, right? :)

I can pretty much do that when a specific denomination is mentioned.

Yeah, I can understand that. It is sometimes helpful to know where people stand. But the fact remains that when I think of my religion, Christianity is what automatically comes to mind, not Nondenominational.

Scott1

Squirt said:
Is there a reason why these folks don't want us to know where they worship?
Just for the record... some of us who do list our denomination would prefer not to... Roman Catholic is not how I would define myself if we happen to meet on the street to chat about faith... I understand why people don't put their denomination in their profile... heck, especially me.... it sucks when people assume they know what you believe because they chatted with someone of the same church at one time.... I'd often rather leave it blank to avoid the baggage that people bring into a thread everytime they see my denomination..... but I do understand what you mean.

Scott

kassi

Squirt said:
Well, I don't believe people should be pressured to give out this information if they don't want to. On the other hand, you've got to admit that the beliefs of Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, Pentacostals, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh-Day Adventists are pretty different at times. We all believe that our comments and statements are representative of "Christianity," but I just personally prefer knowing in a little more detail what a person believes. I can pretty much do that when a specific denomination is mentioned.
Im a good example of what you are saying, I grew up baptist and even joined a baptist church ( when I was 15) so you might say Im a southern baptist but Im not really, because I dont even know all that they believe and even among baptist there isnt complete unity in doctrine. Basicly right now Im solo in my search for the truth the bible being my Guide.
Besides Its not that important what I call myself but what others see me to be.Maybe a discple of Christ is what they would say.:)

Squirt

Scott1 said:
Just for the record... some of us who do list our denomination would prefer not to... Roman Catholic is not how I would define myself if we happen to meet on the street to chat about faith...
Don't you think it would make a difference what you were going to discuss and with whom you were going to discuss it? If you were in a room where everybody was a Christian, your denomination might make more of a difference than it would if you were one of three or four Christians in a room full of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu's, etc.

I understand why people don't put their denomination in their profile... heck, especially me.... it sucks when people assume they know what you believe because they chatted with someone of the same church at one time.... I'd often rather leave it blank to avoid the baggage that people bring into a thread everytime they see my denomination..... but I do understand what you mean.
Yeah, I know what you mean, too. After all, when I first started posting, I didn't tell anybody I was LDS. I preferred that they listen to what I had to say as a "Christian" before they got around (as they inevitably would) to thinking, "Oh, well she's a Mormon... What she has to say is of little value to a discussion on Christianity."

I guess it's just that most of the discussions I enter into are on Christian topics, so for me, it's just nice to know what denomination people are. It's just a helpful piece of groundwork.

lunamoth

Will to love
I agree with what Scott said. Not only would I not want people to think they know me by my Episcopalian label, I would not want them to judge the Epsicopal Church by me! Ha, ha, but I try to be good. Just hate having to point out all the places where I am still working on it, rather than exemplifying it.

Anyway, I would bet that many who put 'Christian' without a denomination are in the non-denominational and independent evangelical churches.

It makes sense in a forum like this to give people a general idea of where you are coming from, but I can also understand people not wanting to be pre-judged.

peace,
lunamoth

Squirt

lunamoth said:
I agree with what Scott said. Not only would I not want people to think they know me by my Episcopalian label, I would not want them to judge the Epsicopal Church by me! Ha, ha, but I try to be good. Just hate having to point out all the places where I am still working on it, rather than exemplifying it.

Anyway, I would bet that many who put 'Christian' without a denomination are in the non-denominational and independent evangelical churches.

It makes sense in a forum like this to give people a general idea of where you are coming from, but I can also understand people not wanting to be pre-judged.

peace,
lunamoth
But you did state "Episcopalian." Why was that?

lunamoth

Will to love
Squirt said:
But you did state "Episcopalian." Why was that?

As I said, it makes sense in this kind of forum to give people an idea of where you are coming from. I agree with you, just was also aknowledging that Scott makes a good point too. Haha, I'm using too many words as usual.

luna

Squirt

lunamoth said:
As I said, it makes sense in this kind of forum to give people an idea of where you are coming from. I agree with you, just was also aknowledging that Scott makes a good point too. Haha, I'm using too many words as usual.

luna
Okay. I see. Just trying to please everybody, huh? :highfive:

Squirt

lunamoth said:
:eek: It's a curse. Did I mention I'm a libra? Always trying to keep those scales in balance.

lunamoth
:biglaugh: Well, that would certainly explain it! What day is your birthday?

Scott1

Squirt said:
Don't you think it would make a difference what you were going to discuss and with whom you were going to discuss it? If you were in a room where everybody was a Christian, your denomination might make more of a difference than it would if you were one of three or four Christians in a room full of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu's, etc.
Your right, of course.... but at the same time I must say that listing a denomination is a hindrance for some of us... especially RCC and LDS.... too many people have very errant and confused ideas about our respective theologies.:ignore:

The only reason I put it in my profile was for other people to be able to contact me who had questions about my Church.... other than for that reason, I would prefer to keep it as I describe myself in the "real world" = Christian.

Peace in Christ,
Scott

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Not sure if your question would necessarily apply to someone like myself but...

I'm a Christian who chooses to worship in a Pentecostal church. On some Sundays, I go to my mother's Lutheran church and have been known to worship at my Grandmother's Baptist Church.

I'm Christian. I'm defined by my belief and acceptance in Christ...I'm bound to Christ...not the church that I worship in.

Squirt

dawny0826 said:
Not sure if your question would necessarily apply to someone like myself but...

I'm a Christian who chooses to worship in a Pentecostal church. On some Sundays, I go to my mother's Lutheran church and have been known to worship at my Grandmother's Baptist Church.

I'm Christian. I'm defined by my belief and acceptance in Christ...I'm bound to Christ...not the church that I worship in.
But you don't choose to worship with the Catholics, the Latter-day Saints or the Episcopalians. I know that even between the various Protestant denominations, there are differences in doctrine. I think it's great that you feel comfortable worshipping among people with varied beliefs, but how do you react to a sermon that teaches something different from what you may have heard last week.

lunamoth

Will to love
Squirt said:
But you don't choose to worship with the Catholics, the Latter-day Saints or the Episcopalians. I know that even between the various Protestant denominations, there are differences in doctrine. I think it's great that you feel comfortable worshipping among people with varied beliefs, but how do you react to a sermon that teaches something different from what you may have heard last week.

Hey squirt, could we come worship with you, say in the interest of interfaith harmony? That'd be cool.

lunamoth

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Squirt said:

I've listened to local Catholic sermons on television without flinching. And I'm considering going to a LDS service in the near future.

My belief in Christ is unshakeable. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable in a bible believing church that teaches the gospel of Christ...period. I would totally go to a Catholic service.

I have yet to sit through a service that preaches a different MESSAGE. Even the Catholic sermons are "comfortable"...the message is the very SAME Christ. You're dealing with a different STYLE of worship and approach to scripture...the inspiration behind the man in the pulpit is the same.

And mind you...Lutherans do things QUITE differently than Pentecostals. SAME Christ. Same message. DIfferent traditions. I have yet to pick up on any conflicting messages. :)

Edit: I enjoy the free spirited worship at my church and then there are Sundays, where I feel like worshipping in a more formal environment...kneeling at the alter for communion. I feel the Holy Spirit move just as strongly in my mother's church as I do at my own.

Squirt

lunamoth said:
Hey squirt, could we come worship with you, say in the interest of interfaith harmony? That'd be cool.

lunamoth
Any time, lunamoth! I love visiting different churches. It's a little bit scary, but if I am with a member of the church I'm visiting, it's a lot easier. When I was a teenager, my two best friends and I decided we were going to visit all of the different denominations in town. Unfortunately, we ended up chickening out. :D