• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Denomination that Only Teaches the New Testament

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
My real-life friend is looking for a Christian denomination that only teaches what is inside the New Testament. I'm sure it exists somewhere. He hates it when people mention or quote the Old Testament. I even asked him the question, "If you were to start a church today, would it only have the New Testament as scripture to read?" and he replied back, "Yes."

Again this isn't for me but for a close friend of mine. I will relay any information people give to me back to him.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
My real-life friend is looking for a Christian denomination that only teaches what is inside the New Testament. I'm sure it exists somewhere. He hates it when people mention or quote the Old Testament. I even asked him the question, "If you were to start a church today, would it only have the New Testament as scripture to read?" and he replied back, "Yes."

Again this isn't for me but for a close friend of mine. I will relay any information people give to me back to him.

Why does he dislike the Old Testament, if you do not mind me asking?

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
Why does he dislike the Old Testament, if you do not mind me asking?

He thinks the New Testament makes all the old laws in the Old Testament outdated. He feels persecuted by the Old Testament and believes being Christian by faith alone. He doesn't believe in the ethics or rituals the Old Testament stands for.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am not sure there are anydenominations who only teach from the New testament.... In terms of teachings go the four Gospels cover all we have as to direct teachings of Jesus.
there are as many contentious teachings in the new testament as there are in the old. especially in Revelation.

Jesus clearly drew on some of the old testament prophets in his own teaching. There is a lot of wisdom to be found in their words.
However where Jesus's teaching or emphasis differs from that found in the old testament, his version is to be preferred.
Much of the old testament does not translate well to Christianity. Where this is so, it helps to emphasise for us the new message brought to us by Jesus.

There are undoubtedly denominations that are heavily influenced by the old testament in their teaching... the JW's come to mind in this.
Others like the episcopalians certainy use the old testament but only use those parts that any Christian would find acceptable.

David1967

Premium Member
But he doesn't believe in reading, or understanding, or following the Old Testament at all. If they quote the Old Testament at all he actually puts his hands over his ears and starts talking to himself to drown out the sound. It's really sad but I'm looking for an alternative for him.

I think Jesus was very familiar and read what Christians call the old testament. In fact it's the only scripture he would have known.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I've never attended a Church congregation that didn't quote out of the Tanach (aka OT). I am not sure if your friend will find such a congregation.

Faronator

Genetically Engineered
A few of the bigger denominations do put emphasis on the fact that OT is old laws so he doesn't necessarily have to LIVE by all of them. As far as no mention of OT at all and JUST NT - no idea.