• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Dancing?

tomspug

Absorbant
Well, dance DEFINITELY is not unBiblical. In fact, when David danced, he was scorned by his sister, but he was dancing to glorify God.

So I would say, dancing for celebration is good. Dancing is a sort of ceremony, like when a couple dances together, it's a pre-conceived motion that is followed by the partners. It's simply an experience. How is that wrong? Dancing is exciting, that's for sure, but in a similar way that participating in a sport is exhilirating. It's an experience.

The problem is (for young people) that these experiences stimulate emotions that usually don't actually have to do with who you are dancing with. If you know any dancers, you know what I'm talking about. Romance can be stimulated by dancing, but only if the romance is ALREADY THERE.

So, yeah, if you don't trust your children to follow their brain instead of their emotions, sure, ban dancing. It just seems so... not bigoted, but cowardly.

rocka21

Brother Rock
Luke 15:24-26 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV) http://www.biblegateway.com/help/faq/?id=2#10

24For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
25Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing. 26And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.

funny how they DANCED when the prodigal son came home.

now its evil? thats religion for ya.

dance-above

Don't look, Don't touch,don't taste these are the stumbling blocks. Parents and church leaders worry to much. This is not faith. Telling someone not to do something almost always brings about a desire to do it. The scripture states that God has Given us all up to disobeidiance so that he may have mercy to all. But now is the time to except his Mercy and Give him Glory.:yes:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Just an outsider asking (hopefully) a respectful question:

If dancing is frowned upon, is it mainly the kind of dance one would find in a social function? Are various forms of professional dance discouraged, too? Ballet, tap, jazz, modern/contemporary, hip-hop, bellydance?

I knew a dancer who left the art for a couple of years because she was convinced that even taking a ballet class was not conducive to being a "good Christian." She returned, however, to dancing professionally after what seemed to be a lot of prayer and contemplation.

How would you respond to this scenario?

Peace,
Mystic

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I don't have any idea, because I don't buy into the pietistic mind set that prohibits dancing. I say, "Dance all night!"

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Dancing is fun, have at it. the only dancing i find disgusting is in the clubs. it's more liek humping while standing than dancing. THAT is what i think is wrong.

tomspug

Absorbant
Not only is dancing fun, it's also ART. I will never believe (as an artist) in a God who doesn't find joy in man's art.