• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Apologetics

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One way we know logic is real is because of preditable effect. I haven't been to college much so you tell me if that is missing the mark. OK? We know God is real the same way.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Replying with an insult is a strategy for some people with no answer. FYI I notice you didn't answer the question. Can logic be proved? Many things can be proved by logic but can logic be proved?

That's not an insult, it's factual reality. Whether or not you like that reality is irrelevant. Can logic be proved? No, not to any degree of absolute certainty. Logic is just a means humans have found which produces demonstrable results. It is a mechanism, just like mathematics, just like science. It is useful because it produces results and makes accurate predictions. Of course, nobody has faith in logic, anyone who has stopped to think about it will realize that logic is a human invention. It doesn't stop it from being a useful human invention.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's not an insult, it's factual reality. Whether or not you like that reality is irrelevant. Can logic be proved? No, not to any degree of absolute certainty. Logic is just a means humans have found which produces demonstrable results. It is a mechanism, just like mathematics, just like science. It is useful because it produces results and makes accurate predictions. Of course, nobody has faith in logic, anyone who has stopped to think about it will realize that logic is a human invention. It doesn't stop it from being a useful human invention.
This;
Nobody can prove anything to God believers, they're not interested in what's true, only what makes them feel good.
is not an insult?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
This; is not an insult?

No, it's the truth. One only has to debate with believers to find that out, people who are totally incapable or unwilling to question their beliefs to find out if they're true. They just insist that they are. If you're insulted by the truth, the problem isn't on my side but on yours.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard

Listen dude. Half the time I've been alive I've spent cursing God. I fooking HATE him with a passion. Then when I can finally see truth, truth that exists that you claim does not, I cry like a little hoe on my knees and look up.

Truth that only came from looking up.
Truth that can withstand trial and error.
Truth that comes from purpose of events that I could never even dare understand had I not looked up.
I'm always looking up ^ something exists. Maybe not a diety for your sake, but something worth calling God. I cannot prove it, but I can attest to it, and so can son and a few others. So can Muslims. If we couldn't, we wouldn't be around son. I wouldn't of been atleast.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, it's the truth. One only has to debate with believers to find that out, people who are totally incapable or unwilling to question their beliefs to find out if they're true. They just insist that they are. If you're insulted by the truth, the problem isn't on my side but on yours.
Some people are like that. I think you say "all" believers do not care about truth.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some atheists do not care about truth. Most people do not care about truth. Not all people who do not agree with you do not care about it.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Some people are like that. I think you say "all" believers do not care about truth.

And I would argue that's true because I have yet to meet a single believer who was capable of stepping back and evaluating their beliefs objectively and critically. If they could, they wouldn't need blind faith. Blind faith is nothing to be proud of.

Adstar

So two things then. 1) The bible is not meant to be understood by anyone but the devout (which in turn makes it useless as a piece of guiding literature)and.

It is useless to those who are rejecting of the Message of the Bible. But for those who have a mind for the Message contained within it they are lead by the Holy Spirit into understanding what they need to understand in it that they need to accept...

Let me use an analogy;

The Bible is like stairs that take you up from a lower platform to a higher platform. And each step is a portion of knowledge that one has to accept by taking that step before considering the next step (potion of knowledge) Now the first steps are pretty simple. Things like God exists and these things are evil and these things are good. The last step is accepting the Atonement of the Messiah Jesus. Now if a person rejects the first step as they are reading the Bible The Holy Spirit already knows that they shall reject the final steps indeed they will never get to them. So the person can read on but they will end up with their own interpretations that will not be correct. Because they have rejected the foundational basic principles.

2) I don't understand it because I never have ben guided by the Holy Spirit.

Makes sense. Have a great day.

Maybe yes maybe no.. I do not know you personally and i don't know if the Holy Spirit is still working on you. I am not God therefore i do not have foreknowledge of your entire life. So i do not know your personal future either way.

The Holy Spirit will work on a person He knows is going to accept the Message for an entire life time to get them to take that first step and guide them quickly up those stairs. Sometimes the first step will take a person 80 years and the rest of the steps will take that person 5 minutes. Sometimes people will make it up to the step just before the last one in 5 minutes and never take that final step.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And I would argue that's true because I have yet to meet a single believer who was capable of stepping back and evaluating their beliefs objectively and critically. If they could, they wouldn't need blind faith. Blind faith is nothing to be proud of.
I think you mean believing in something that can not be seen like Spirit is blind. We disagree. So it seems to me you are becoming what you accuse believers of being which is to stand back and consider that you might be wrong. Have you asked anyone who believes in God yet if she thinks she might be wrong?

By the way Spirit cannot be evaluated objectively. It is impossible. I think it is silly you say we won't see but you do not know what you are asking us to do is impossible.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard

What your going through right now is the very thing I go through in my faith and it's happened a dozen times. I critically think and come to different conclusions, often that God doesn't exist. You act like its easy to have faith dude.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
What your going through right now is the very thing I go through in my faith and it's happened a dozen times. I critically think and come to different conclusions, often that God doesn't exist. You act like its easy to have faith dude.
I don't think it would be easy to have faith. The point is that faith is not a positive attribute, it hinders critical thinking. Faith is the alternative to critical analysis, not the result of it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think it would be easy to have faith. The point is that faith is not a positive attribute, it hinders critical thinking. Faith is the alternative to critical analysis, not the result of it.
Faith is not a result of critical analysis. Correct. Faith is the alernative to critical analysis. No sir!
Faith in God hinders critical thinking about The Person of God. But not anything else.

Picture being married. Would you be happy to be married to someone who alway looked to you critically? I wouldn't. We don't look to God critically. It is rude and not humble.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Faith is not a result of critical analysis. Correct. Faith is the alernative to critical analysis. No sir!
Faith in God hinders critical thinking about The Person of God. But not anything else.

Sure, but the 'person of God' is the topic here - hence the relevance.
Picture being married. Would you be happy to be married to someone who alway looked to you critically? I wouldn't. We don't look to God critically. It is rude and not humble.

I would have no problem with my wife applying critical thought to any facet of our relationship.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sure, but the 'person of God' is the topic here - hence the relevance.

I would have no problem with my wife applying critical thought to any facet of our relationship.
That is not what I said. Applying critical thought to you personally is what I said.

I do not apply critical thought to The Person of God but I do apply it often to my relationship with The Person of God. More so than any scientist applies critical thought to her work, I am sure.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It is useless to those who are rejecting of the Message of the Bible. But for those who have a mind for the Message contained within it they are lead by the Holy Spirit into understanding what they need to understand in it that they need to accept...

Let me use an analogy;

The Bible is like stairs that take you up from a lower platform to a higher platform. And each step is a portion of knowledge that one has to accept by taking that step before considering the next step (potion of knowledge) Now the first steps are pretty simple. Things like God exists and these things are evil and these things are good. The last step is accepting the Atonement of the Messiah Jesus. Now if a person rejects the first step as they are reading the Bible The Holy Spirit already knows that they shall reject the final steps indeed they will never get to them. So the person can read on but they will end up with their own interpretations that will not be correct. Because they have rejected the foundational basic principles.

Maybe yes maybe no.. I do not know you personally and i don't know if the Holy Spirit is still working on you. I am not God therefore i do not have foreknowledge of your entire life. So i do not know your personal future either way.

The Holy Spirit will work on a person He knows is going to accept the Message for an entire life time to get them to take that first step and guide them quickly up those stairs. Sometimes the first step will take a person 80 years and the rest of the steps will take that person 5 minutes. Sometimes people will make it up to the step just before the last one in 5 minutes and never take that final step.

Seeing as I was devout for many years, and was a staunch believer in the message of Jesus, I can say without a doubt I won't be going back to it. *shrug*

I walked the walk, and left path, to forge a way amongst the unknown. To blaze a trail where no one knows, but I have found a home.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
That is not what I said. Applying critical thought to you personally is what I said.

I do not apply critical thought to The Person of God but I do apply it often to my relationship with The Person of God. More so than any scientist applies critical thought to her work, I am sure.

Right, you are more critical of your relationship to god than any scientist - was there a point to such a silly claim?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Right, you are more critical of your relationship to god than any scientist - was there a point to such a silly claim?
What's that suppose to mean? I am sure most scientists go home and do what they do apart from science. My relationship with God is all the time. Everyday. No weekends. No vacations. No 9-5.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I think you mean believing in something that can not be seen like Spirit is blind. We disagree. So it seems to me you are becoming what you accuse believers of being which is to stand back and consider that you might be wrong. Have you asked anyone who believes in God yet if she thinks she might be wrong?

By the way Spirit cannot be evaluated objectively. It is impossible. I think it is silly you say we won't see but you do not know what you are asking us to do is impossible.

Then you have no rational reason to believe it is real. You can't have it both ways. Believing in something for which you have no good reason to think it is real is foolish and the more that you argue that nobody can evaluate it intelligently, you just reveal that you haven't done so yourself. If it's impossible to do, then you shouldn't be believing in it.