• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Apologetics

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Listen, if you can rationalize the unexplainable, more specifically, like the experiences we were talking about with son in another post, be my guest. Until then, lets keep an open mind.

Its the science denial, insults and treating non believers like they are stupid that do my head in.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Listen, if you can rationalize the unexplainable, more specifically, like the experiences we were talking about with son in another post, be my guest. Until then, lets keep an open mind.

Can you give an example of something unexplainable that nedd be rationalised please?

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
Can you give an example of something unexplainable that nedd be rationalised please?

Experiences like in the thread another member started, that should still be in the top 10 of the 'recents'. Read all the way through.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Experiences like in the thread another member started, that should still be in the top 10 of the 'recents'. Read all the way through.

So your example is somewhere in a recent thread that you cannot identify? Written by a member you can not name.............very helpful thanks.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Oh I agree with you, I do. Trust me =) x 100

But can the believers say the same thing for non believers?

I think non believers get frustrated that these type of people refuse to actually process what you have said or twist what you have said...or just get rude about it.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
So your example is somewhere in a recent thread that you cannot identify? Written by a member you can not name.............very helpful thanks.

Am i allowed to? Sorry. I will if its allowed, which is why i tried to be as specific as I could lol
Also, sorry for the delayed response, was in a league of leg game D:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Am i allowed to? Sorry. I will if its allowed, which is why i tried to be as specific as I could lol
Also, sorry for the delayed response, was in a league of leg game D:

Why not just state what it is you feel is unexplainable and need be rationalised?

Thana

Lady
Well the CARM the christian apologetics site says this

CARM is a 501(c)3, non-profit, Christian ministry dedicated to the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ and the promotion and defense of the Christian Gospel, doctrine, and theology. To do this, CARM analyzes religious and non-religious movements and compares them to the Bible. We examine abortion, atheism, evolution, Islam, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormonism, relativism, Roman Catholicism, Wicca, universalism, (and much more), along with Christian preachers and teachers. In all our analyses we use the Bible as the final standard of truth in order to defend and promote Christianity.

All instances I have seen and heard though seem to be less about defending/promoting and more about just insulting people, trying to make them look like an idiot and guil them.

If you are on twitter look me up @ladyballsblog to see what kind of apologetics Ive been responding to on there.

So.. in other words, Fundies, Right?

A fundamentalist is a fundamentalist. If you waste your time debating them then darling that is all on you, Everybody knows you'd be better off banging your head against a wall, You'd get more results from that then you would a debate with a fundamentalist, of any religion.

All it means is to defend ones beliefs via discourse.

That definition would make me an apologetic, I suppose. I think it'd make everyone on this forum one.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That definition would make me an apologetic, I suppose. I think it'd make everyone on this forum one.

Apologetics [Noun]: reasoned arguments or writings in justification of something, typically a theory or religious doctrine.

Yup, everyone on this forum falls under that. ^_^

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well the CARM the christian apologetics site says this

CARM is a 501(c)3, non-profit, Christian ministry dedicated to the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ and the promotion and defense of the Christian Gospel, doctrine, and theology. To do this, CARM analyzes religious and non-religious movements and compares them to the Bible. We examine abortion, atheism, evolution, Islam, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormonism, relativism, Roman Catholicism, Wicca, universalism, (and much more), along with Christian preachers and teachers. In all our analyses we use the Bible as the final standard of truth in order to defend and promote Christianity.

All instances I have seen and heard though seem to be less about defending/promoting and more about just insulting people, trying to make them look like an idiot and guil them.

If you are on twitter look me up @ladyballsblog to see what kind of apologetics Ive been responding to on there.
CARM may "examine" all of these topics, but they seem utterly incapable of getting their facts straight. I can almost guarantee that if you read something on CARM about Mormonism, it will be false. That's probably the case with their information on Islam, Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholicism, etc., too, though.

Adstar

What is the point of Christian Apologetics? Is it to win arguements, insult people, repeat misinformation until they are blue in the face or to try and convert people?

Are Christian Apologists anything like the forum Apologists or real life apologists?

It gives Christians a chance to listen to non-believers ideas about Christianity so they can reply when they see the non-believer has misconceptions or misunderstandings about Christianity.

DayRaven

Beyond the wall
I have read many of CS Lewis' "apologetic" books. I believe his (official) aim was to show non-Christians that Christianity was a reasonable stance to take (unofficially I have the impression he was as much trying to persuade himself). I'm not a Christian: so I can't say how successful he was, but it is through his works (and those of Rowan Williams) that I take Christianity seriously.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational

Let's not keep such an open mind that your brain falls out either. There may be things we cannot explain, that doesn't mean that you get to just make something up to fill in the gap in your knowledge. Invented explanations are not explanations but rationalizations. If we don't know what happened, we don't know. We don't get to pretend that we know to get around the discomfort of not knowing.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It gives Christians a chance to listen to non-believers ideas about Christianity so they can reply when they see the non-believer has misconceptions or misunderstandings about Christianity.

The problem I see with this is that no two Christians see Christianity the same. So you can't help but get inconsisitencies and misunderstandings when it all seems pretty much open to interpretation.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The problem I see with this interpretation is that no two Christians see Christianity the same. So you can't help but see inconsisitencies and misunderstandings when it all seems pretty much open to interpretation.
All Jehovah's Witnesses are suppose to see Christianity the same and I think most do. There are approx. seven and a half million of them. It is what Wiki says. Their law says you MUST see Christianity their way to be saved so they do.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
All Jehovah's Witnesses are suppose to see Christianity the same and I think most do. There are approx. seven and a half million of them. It is what Wiki says. Their law says you MUST see Christianity their way to be saved so they do.

True, but then you have Catholocism, Lutheran, non-denom, Baptist, Episcopal, orthodox, etc etc... And no two see them the same way. And some not even within the same group. Who has it right?