• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: A house divided?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Matt 12:25 (KJV)
And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

Christians disagree with each other on practically everything; baptism, the nature of God, sacrament, which bible to use, etc., etc. It is amazing to consider that so many people understand a single book so differently. As I thought about this, I decided to ask ...

Is Christianity a house divided?

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
comprehend said:
And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

Christians disagree with each other on practically everything; baptism, the nature of God, sacrament, which bible to use, etc., etc. It is amazing to consider that so many people understand a single book so differently. As I thought about this, I decided to ask ...

I believe there are two Churches, the visible and the invisible. One is strong, healthy, growing, and indivisible (guess which...) and the other is a flimsy creation of man.

My brother is a Lutheran pastor and his insight into how Christ views his church: with the fervent love of a husband for his bride, he protects, supports and defends her, nurtures, encourages and nourishes her.

Our problem is the 'visible' is the noisiest, and most focused upon, of the two... the invisible church resides in the heart of every true believer. That's his theory, what do you think?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Moon Woman said:
I believe there are two Churches, the visible and the invisible. One is strong, healthy, growing, and indivisible (guess which...) and the other is a flimsy creation of man.

My brother is a Lutheran pastor and his insight into how Christ views his church: with the fervent love of a husband for his bride, he protects, supports and defends her, nurtures, encourages and nourishes her.

Our problem is the 'visible' is the noisiest, and most focused upon, of the two... the invisible church resides in the heart of every true believer. That's his theory, what do you think?

I am not so sure what my opinion is yet, I am still trying to think this out and I really want to see what "mainstream" christians have to say about it.

I understand the idea of the visible and invisible church. hristians have beliefs that are so different that they are incompatable with eachother yet continue to call themselves a single church. I am wondering how this can be. maybe something I need to understand first is why do christians consider themselves to all belong to the same (invisible) church when their beliefs are so completely different, and I am not talking about little differences.

when you say that the "church resides in the heart of every true believer" I would ask how it can be that they believe such radically different things and it remain one church?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Moon Woman said:
I believe there are two Churches, too -- as you said, a visible and an invisible Church. I believe the invisible Church, or the body of Christ, is strong with respect to the fact that there are many devout followers of Christ in all of the combined denominations of Christianity. Unfortunately, Christ did not establish thousands of denominations; He established one Church. It was not created by anyone but Him. Man didn't create it, but man destroyed it. And then, He re-established it a second time.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
comprehend said:

Disagreement does not necessarily indicate division. My wife and I disagree, yet we are one flesh. We here on the forum disagree, yet we are one forum. Why cannot the members of the one Body of Christ disagree, yet still be members of the one Body? We all agree to follow Christ, don't we? Isn't that really enough?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
comprehend said:

The referenced scripture is about the kingdom of "Beelzebub" or "Satan" not being divided, not the kindgom of God. Does that make any difference in the meaning of the teaching to you?

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger said:
The referenced scripture is about the kingdom of "Beelzebub" or "Satan" not being divided, not the kindgom of God. Does that make any difference in the meaning of the teaching to you?

It does to me.

The church as the body of Christ cannot be divided, if we accept Paul's teaching of the church in 1 Corinthians as authoritative.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
comprehend said:
I am not so sure what my opinion is yet, I am still trying to think this out and I really want to see what "mainstream" christians have to say about it.

I understand the idea of the visible and invisible church. hristians have beliefs that are so different that they are incompatable with eachother yet continue to call themselves a single church. I am wondering how this can be. maybe something I need to understand first is why do christians consider themselves to all belong to the same (invisible) church when their beliefs are so completely different, and I am not talking about little differences.

when you say that the "church resides in the heart of every true believer" I would ask how it can be that they believe such radically different things and it remain one church?

Hmm. There was an interesting poll on the board the other day regarding objectivity (but what really came out were people's opinions about the most 'persuasuve' experiences leading to faith: corporal, personal, psychological, supernatural. Something along those lines). Some agreed the supernatural experience to be the most persuasive. Anyway what I believe is that
A. All true believers in Christ are converts, many through supernatural experience
B. All true believers in Christ have a personal relationship with Him

A missionary told me this story. It was his last day in the field, after many years working and living in Papua New Guinea. A man in a loincloth carrying a spear came walking out of the jungle causing a stir in the tiny village; his tribe was one of the remotest. Having little contact with other tribes an interpreter was needed to understand his dialect but he was very animated. He insisted he was looking for the "man with hair on his face" and must see him immediately. The missionary was the only one with a beard so the people brought him over. He said "last night a man in white robes with flames for eyes awoke me and I said Master, what is your name - he told me many things about myself. He told me to come here and find the man with hair on his face, who would tell me the story of Jesus. Who is this Jesus? I want to know everything". And he broke down sobbing while the missionary told him the story of his savior.

Now, it's my sincere belief the man was a believer before he ever found the missionary. His heart burned to know more about him, but he had met him face to face and would go to the ends of the earth to see him again and experience his irresistible, powerful, unconditional love. It's also my story: belief in Jesus preceded my knowing who he was. I knew that someone had saved me, but I didn't know who it was. If I, or the tribal guy, had died on the journey to find out his name, we would have died believers nonetheless. I believe our story has been repeated throughout history. I believe there are many who belong to his flock this moment who may not even know his name.

I also believe that if Jesus walked into a mega church this Sunday in person, many would bow down and worship him but some would run away or call the police or want to kill him. That would be the real chaff-separator I think.
:angel2:

Along those same lines, I think true believers may be just as capable of engaging in heated doctrinal arguments as any 'whited-sepulchre' Pharisee out there, while holding to one core belief: faith and trust in Christ.

This is why I wish there was a Church of Mere Christianity. We love him, we worship him, we trust him, we want to be like him... we are his sheep and we know his voice.

Most of the church websites I visit have something like this in their We Believe pages:

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into hell. (or not)
The third day He arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic (or Christian) church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.
Amen.

or this:
We believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made; who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the Virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried, and the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father. And he shall come again with glory to judge both the quick and the dead, whose kingdom shall have no end.
And we believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, who proceedeth from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, who spoke by the prophets. And we believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.
---------------------
(of course those are the Apostles and Nicene Creeds, and even the Apostles Creed in its antiquity and simplicity has its detractors but... most of us don't have a problem with it as a public declaration of faith)

Scott1

NetDoc said:
Those who love are part of Christ's Church. All else is mere details.
Amen!

We try the best we can.... and I pray that all "divisions" are based upon a sincere wish by the person to do God's will ( and not PRIDE).... the best we can do until Jesus returns is love one another as He loves us.

athanasius

There are not two churches. There is only one Church, ie.. one body of Christ and one faith that Jesus founded(eph 4:4-5). Jesus promised the gates of hades would not previal against his one church, not churches(Matt 16:13-19). The church that Jesus founded was not invisible. He founded a visible church and told his Church that it would be a city set on a hill that cannot hide(Matt 5:14) hence it would be a visible Church. There was only one church historically from the beginning since Christ founded it. Centuries later Men made schism and separated from it.

As the early christians would say in the nicene creed "we beleive in ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC, AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH. There is only one church that traces its origins and authority back to the chair of Peter and the early christians all knew that. Irenaeus talked about it, Ignatius talked it etc. All other denominations may be united to this one true church via there common Trinitarian baptism and faith, but they do have formal union with it. However they do have informal union with it.

So they are part of the one visible family in a imperfect, partial way.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
athanasius said:
There are not two churches. There is only one Church, ie.. one body of Christ and one faith that Jesus founded(eph 4:4-5). Jesus promised the gates of hades would not previal against his one church, not churches(Matt 16:13-19).
There may be only one Church, but there are thousands upon thousands of denominations, each interpreting the doctrines Christ taught in a different way. Jesus was right about the gates of hades not prevailing against His Church. The gospel continues to be taught there today, so that those who died without a knowledge and understanding of His teachings would not be judged without having the opportunity to accept His atoning sacrifice. I don't believe He was referring to the organizational Church.

The church that Jesus founded was not invisible. He founded a visible church and told his Church that it would be a city set on a hill that cannot hide(Matt 5:14) hence it would be a visible Church.
I agree.

There was only one church historically from the beginning since Christ founded it. Centuries later Men made schism and separated from it.
I believe the schism happened long before you do. The first century Church was far more splintered than you may realize. There were numerous competing factions from the very beginning, and internal strife as well as external persecution.

As the early christians would say in the nicene creed "we beleive in ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC, AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH. There is only one church that traces its origins and authority back to the chair of Peter and the early christians all knew that. Irenaeus talked about it, Ignatius talked it etc. All other denominations may be united to this one true church via there common Trinitarian baptism and faith, but they do have formal union with it. However they do have informal union with it.
I'm sure that by the time the Nicene Creed was written, the "Holy Catholic" Church was fairly well-established. I don't believe it was an Apostolic Church, though, but a church that came to exist through the philosophies of men mingled with scripture. I don't think that this "one true Church" can be defined as being based on a "common Trinitarian baptism and faith" since there is no indication whatsoever that the doctrine of the Trinity was believed or taught by Christ or His Apostles.

So they are part of the one visible family in a imperfect, partial way.
I would agree with this statement, but I would extend it to include all who call themselves Christian and who look to Jesus Christ for salvation. :)

rocka21

Brother Rock
Katzpur said:
There may be only one Church, but there are thousands upon thousands of denominations, each interpreting the doctrines Christ taught in a different way. Jesus was right about the gates of hades not prevailing against His Church. The gospel continues to be taught there today, so that those who died without a knowledge and understanding of His teachings would not be judged without having the opportunity to accept His atoning sacrifice. I don't believe He was referring to the organizational Church.

I agree.

I believe the schism happened long before you do. The first century Church was far more splintered than you may realize. There were numerous competing factions from the very beginning, and internal strife as well as external persecution.

I'm sure that by the time the Nicene Creed was written, the "Holy Catholic" Church was fairly well-established. I don't believe it was an Apostolic Church, though, but a church that came to exist through the philosophies of men mingled with scripture. I don't think that this "one true Church" can be defined as being based on a "common Trinitarian baptism and faith" since there is no indication whatsoever that the doctrine of the Trinity was believed or taught by Christ or His Apostles.

I would agree with this statement, but I would extend it to include all who call themselves Christian and who look to Jesus Christ for salvation. :)

LDS believe that you can be taught about Jesus after you Die?

why would i have to belive when i am alive then?

the whole point of faith is believing when we can't "see".

why would anyone reject the gospel after they are dead.
i don't know about you, but if i am sitting in Hades and a LDS angel comes to preach to me, ( SIGN ME UP!).

I strongly disagree, NOW is when you BELIEVE!

EVERYONE IN HELL IS A BELIEVER TODAY.:D
</IMG></IMG>

athanasius

Katzpur said:

This may be where we dissagree then.

There was always schism. In my theology class we just studied the early heresies, Judiazers being one of the first, but these factions were not on the same spectrum as the denoninations today are. If anyone disagreed with a matter of critical Christian revealed truth or theology, like say for example if someone said Mary wasn't the Mother of God as in the case of Nestorias the herectic, this would be taken to the visible Church to be judged as Jesus commanded(Matt 18:15-18) and the visible Church would speak out agianst it and procalim the true doctrine as they did in the councils of Chalcedon and Ephesus int he 5th century.

History would show that the Catholic church and her Popes were descended from the apostolic church, as the list Popes shows to goe back directly to Peter.

A simple reading of the fathers of the church will show that they believed in the catholic faith. Ignatius in the year 110 A.D., who was a disiple of the apostle John Himself said "Where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church".

I wouldn't. Anyone can claim to believe in and have a relationship with Jesus, but do they have a realtionship with the right Jesus. Our Lord wanred about the dangers of false Christ's. Jehovahs Wittness's believe in Jesus, but they beleive Jesus was Michael the Archangel and a perfect man and not God, are they christian? They would say they were. I and the Catholic church would say no they are not becuae they do not beleive in the true biblical hisotorical Jesus as the anceint Councils of the church and the current Church defines .

This maybe another differece in our religions. At any rate, have a Merry and happy and safe Christmas and may our Lord bless you always Katzpur

In the Newborn Savior Jesus through his handmaiden Mary,
Athanasius

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
rocka21 said:
LDS believe that you can be taught about Jesus after you Die?
Of course. Why would God put millions of people here on earth, never give them a chance to hear about Christ and then throw them into Hell for failing to believe in Him? Is that something a loving Father would do?

why would i have to belive when i am alive then?
You've had the opportunity. God will hold you accountable for the choices you make based on the knowledge you have.

the whole point of faith is believing when we can't "see".
Agreed.

why would anyone reject the gospel after they are dead.
It's not quite that simple.

i don't know about you, but if i am sitting in Hades and a LDS angel comes to preach to me, ( SIGN ME UP!).
Good! We will! :)

I already directed you to a thread on the LDS forum that explains all this, and from your comments, I thought you'd read it. I don't want to get too awfully far off topic by going into it in any more detail on this thread.

I strongly disagree, NOW is when you BELIEVE!
Sure it is -- provided you've had the opportunity to hear the good news. Suppose you were born in some African tribal village in 100 A.D. What would be your fate if that were the case?

Wrong.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
athanasius said:
I wouldn't. Anyone can claim to believe in and have a relationship with Jesus, but do they have a realtionship with the right Jesus.
Do you mean to say that there was more than one? I didn't know that. I've always believed there is only one Jesus Christ, one Savior, one Redeemer, one perfect man who suffered and died that I might be reconciled with God, one who was resurrected so that I might be, too.

Our Lord wanred about the dangers of false Christ's. Jehovahs Wittness's believe in Jesus, but they beleive Jesus was Michael the Archangel and a perfect man and not God, are they christian? They would say they were. I and the Catholic church would say no they are not becuae they do not beleive in the true biblical hisotorical Jesus as the anceint Councils of the church and the current Church defines.
Well then, you would probably say that I'm not a Christian either, then. Oh well... I guess I'll just have to settle for letting God decide. :)

This maybe another differece in our religions. At any rate, have a Merry and happy and safe Christmas and may our Lord bless you always Katzpur
You too, Athanasius.

SB Habakuk

a division isay nay- when did the church come divided
I say Christianity is that which is undivided- if it was divided it would be destroyed.

For the Church existed before the creation of the earth and continues to exist apart from that which is known as The Church and it will exist after this other-

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Rocka21 said:
Glad to see such thoughts bring a smile to your face.

Back to the topic: Yes I do believe the church is divided. This is blatently obvious based upon the the number of different Christian denominations. They can't agree on a dang thing. They spend most of their energy disputing about details and theological concepts while condemning each other and those around them to Hell. This is pointless. They should just zip it and work on loving each other and making peace. "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God" Matthew 5:9

SB Habakuk

Every doctrine of Christianity seeks to magnify The "father" who alone is aware of himself-
DO YOU THINK THAT HE IS EXPRESSED IN ANY ONE WAY- itell you the number of his ways is unknown-
So diversity in doctrine is not a matter of division but is the expression of our inability to grasp that which we praise-
For he is Ineffable- For he alone is aware of himself- he is nameless and without need of us-
He is always complete so he is not in need of anything- word or thought to complete him-

So you Tell me how Is Christianity divided- They all represent smaller pionts of one great light