• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chrisitans: The Trinity vs Godhead and Justice vs Mercy

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Imagine being able to clone yourself. One of you could be at work while another you could be with the kids, so on and so forth. God the father is overseeing everything past present and future and is listening to all the prayers while Jesus came down to earth, he focused on one thing at a time and gave every aspect the time and attention necessary.

Jesus was God in the flesh but while this was going on there still was a spiritual God in heaven as well. The Holy Ghost is God as well, just in another form performing a different function.

Imagine being able to be several places at the same time only God is everywhere all the time.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This was the best example I could think of to explain the trinity. I never implied that God cloned himself. For me to answer your question, I would have to actually see a real clone first.

to madhatter85,,,hi,just a few comments on the initial questions in the post.You state that god dispenses justice,and Christ dispenses mercy,god is eternally bound by this ? Tell me is God BOUND???,by anything?.I don't think so,It wld be illogical to think the almighty was not almighty ,but bound.God does not have a nature that operates from necessity,,he rather operates from perfect freedom,without consequence. Now the second problem,,jesus and god are one god but three divine personszx hence the mystery],what they do, they do together as one in operation. You can not separate their actions,so to say one distributs one virtue ,and the other distributes another [justice/mercy]then you have taken the one god [god is one] and given him two operations,now you have a multiplicty in god ,and that can not be. All is one in god....harley dav.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
to madhatter85,,,hi,just a few comments on the initial questions in the post.You state that god dispenses justice,and Christ dispenses mercy,god is eternally bound by this ? Tell me is God BOUND???,by anything?.I don't think so,It wld be illogical to think the almighty was not almighty ,but bound.God does not have a nature that operates from necessity,,he rather operates from perfect freedom,without consequence. Now the second problem,,jesus and god are one god but three divine personszx hence the mystery],what they do, they do together as one in operation. You can not separate their actions,so to say one distributs one virtue ,and the other distributes another [justice/mercy]then you have taken the one god [god is one] and given him two operations,now you have a multiplicty in god ,and that can not be. All is one in god....harley dav.

Even God has to answer to the laws of Justice. call it what you will but his house has been stated as a house of Order. he is no respecter of persons.

there are multiple occasions where Jesus had to ask the father for the strength to accomplish things. Also, his will was blatantly different in the garden of Gethsemane. This simple passage proves that they have conflicting wills at times. and that God has the final say.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Personally, I believe God is the author of all laws, including justice. He voluntarily follows His laws, since he created them. He would not create them, if they were not good. He follows them because He is good. God is "bound" to keep His promises to His children only because He voluntarily makes promises which He wants to keep. Is God "bound" to be good? He is good, not because He's bound, but because that's what He is. There's an LDS scripture that says "I the Lord am bound when ye do whay I say, but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise". God covenants with His children. When his children keep their end of the covenant, God keeps his end also. That is because God has perfect integrity.

Mr. Peanut

I don't think you're correct on the grammer, but I would have to check with an English teacher. If I say "today I drove the car of my brother and of my neighbor and of my teacher", this can mean one of two things:

1. I drove the car of my brother AND the car of my neigbor AND the car of my teacher, meaning I drove three cars...

OR

2. I drove the one car that belongs to my brother, neighbor, and teacher.

Regardless, even if the meaning of "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost" means a single name, that does not contradict the Trinity or Godhead as I understand it. Since they are One in every imaginable and conceivable way, except substance, I would not have a problem thinking of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost together as one name.

But, hey, I hope that difference of opinion does prevent you from accepting my sincere wish that you have a very merry Christmas!
I'm a day late, but Merry Christmas!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Regardless, even if the meaning of "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost" means a single name, that does not contradict the Trinity or Godhead as I understand it. Since they are One in every imaginable and conceivable way, except substance, I would not have a problem thinking of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost together as one name.
When you stop and think about it, "God" is not a name at all. I don't know very many Christians (if any at all), who would say that the Father's name is "Jesus." For that reason, I think that when we say, "in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost" we are not using the word "name" to mean what I would mean if I were to say, "Hi, Scotty!" It makes perfect sense to me to think of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost as sharing a single title, that title being "God." When I use the word "God," I can be referring to any one of the three individually or to all three collectively. Since their unity of will, purpose, mind and heart is so perfect and so absolute, I cannot worship one of them without simultaneously worshipping all three of them. It's all one Godhead, and if you look up the word "Godhead" in the dictionary, you'll find that it is a synonym for "God."

Scott C.

Just one guy
When you stop and think about it, "God" is not a name at all. I don't know very many Christians (if any at all), who would say that the Father's name is "Jesus." For that reason, I think that when we say, "in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost" we are not using the word "name" to mean what I would mean if I were to say, "Hi, Scotty!" It makes perfect sense to me to think of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost as sharing a single title, that title being "God." When I use the word "God," I can be referring to any one of the three individually or to all three collectively. Since their unity of will, purpose, mind and heart is so perfect and so absolute, I cannot worship one of them without simultaneously worshipping all three of them. It's all one Godhead, and if you look up the word "Godhead" in the dictionary, you'll find that it is a synonym for "God."

Well said!

Somkid

I propose also that God Must indeed choose Justice, that it is an eternal law by which even God himself is bound.

What justice, where do you see justice in the world? The God of the bible is not bound by any of his own rules or anything that is logically universally true such as thou shall not kill, love thy neighbor, mercy, etc. let alone the physical laws of the universe that this God is said to have created.

I fail to understand why people think as you would suggest you can not hold god to his own standards as he breaks his own laws time and time again so it is only fair to conclude that people worship god out of fear rather then because god is virtuous.

nutshell

What justice, where do you see justice in the world? The God of the bible is not bound by any of his own rules or anything that is logically universally true such as thou shall not kill, love thy neighbor, mercy, etc. let alone the physical laws of the universe that this God is said to have created.

I fail to understand why people think as you would suggest you can not hold god to his own standards as he breaks his own laws time and time again so it is only fair to conclude that people worship god out of fear rather then because god is virtuous.

It's a matter of POV. He only breaks his own law from your perspective. Maybe if you give an example I can explain better.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Thou shalt not bear false witness.
1 Kg.22:23
"Now, therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee."

2 Chr.18:22
"Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets."

Jer.20:7
"O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived."

Ezek.14:9
"And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet."

2 Th.2:11
"For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie."