• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China wins major Afghan project

kai

ragamuffin
Afghanistan has suffered decades of war

A Chinese mining company has won a tender to develop one of the world's largest copper mines in Afghanistan.

The state-owned China Metallurgical Group says it will invest nearly $3bn in the mine at Aynak in the province of Logar, south of Kabul.
Officials say it will be the largest foreign investment in Afghan history and will employ 10,000 people. When construction is complete the company will pay the Afghan government $400m a year.

Is this yet another resource the Us and its allies have failed to steal?

Sarcasm aside the Chinese are really going for it worldwide.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | China wins major Afghan project

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
This is a good thing for the Afghan people, and i hope they can arrange good wages and working conditions for the workers. I've done humanitarian aid work over there, and an infusion of industrial work is exactly what they need to bring them into the industrialised era.

dust1n

Zindīq
Oh man.. I wonder how much their mine workers are going to get paid... and whether they will have benefits for when their health turns to ****... etc. etc. etc.

Whether it be China or America Kai, I think Afghani's would rather have their own companies extracting and selling their own resources.

kai

ragamuffin
Oh man.. I wonder how much their mine workers are going to get paid... and whether they will have benefits for when their health turns to ****... etc. etc. etc. Ah always the glass half full

Whether it be China or America Kai, I think Afghani's would rather have their own companies extracting and selling their own resources.

What companies ? i think Afghans would like to raise themselves from poverty before they form a company

dust1n

Zindīq
What companies ? i think Afghans would like to raise themselves from poverty before they form a company

I suppose you think these foreign companies have the intention of lifting Afghani's out of poverty...

kai

ragamuffin
I suppose you think these foreign companies have the intention of lifting Afghani's out of poverty...

Not in the slightest, Its purely business, they are doing business, Its the Afghan governments job to lift their people out of poverty.The Chinese bid more they got the contract.

Aquitaine

Oh man.. I wonder how much their mine workers are going to get paid... and whether they will have benefits for when their health turns to ****... etc. etc. etc.

LOL yeah, let's not forget this is China - the country where all it's workers receive the greatest Human Rights in the World. :sarcastic

It would be nice for the Afghan Economy to properly function legitimately, but unfortunately I believe the only future for Afghanistan will be a corrupt government signing off the country's resources to foreign bidders.

Whilst still growing Opium poppies with the thumbs-up from NATO, who don't even wanna get rid of the stuff, atleast not just yet, it would be too early to cut Poppy production.......... spoken after nearly a decade of being in there.

Rio Sabinas

Old Geezer
I'd love to see the Afghan govt. tell the whole world that any resources taken from that country would have to be on a "Profit Sharing" basis with the workers.
I know, I know, I seriously doubt it will happen either.

dust1n

Zindīq
Not in the slightest, Its purely business, they are doing business, Its the Afghan governments job to lift their people out of poverty.The Chinese bid more they got the contract.

The Afghan government's job is to lift their people out of poverty. If the Afghan government fails to do this, it is up to it's people to fix or replace the government. Which is why, they are trying so hard to fight against the corrupt government put in place by Western forces.

kai

ragamuffin
The Afghan government's job is to lift their people out of poverty. If the Afghan government fails to do this, it is up to it's people to fix or replace the government. Which is why, they are trying so hard to fight against the corrupt government put in place by Western forces.

OH let me get this straight, are you talking about the democratic, political social fight to bring the country into some kind of normality or the Taliban ? are you saying this replacement should be at the ballot box or kalashnikov?