• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China, next Superpower

Peacewise

it's all good, china is a powerhouse and will soon be much richer than america, if it isn't already. likewise its military strength will continue to grow, and hopefully its culture of restraint and contentment will offset its huge and growing power.

linwood

I pretty much agree with the article mostly other than the implication that Chinas military can catch up to US military power through the superiority of Russian tech (I`ve never seen "superior" Russian tech and I lived through the end of the Cold War.)

I also think China has much more internal strife than the author seems to be aware of.
China could very well implode due to it`s handling of it`s citizens if it doesn`t fix the problem sincerely.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Although China has an amazing culture, the one thing China doesn't have is the humanist tradition that stems from the European Enlightenment. So, it should be interesting to see whether or not that has any notable consequences on the policies the Chinese government adopts towards its own people and towards other peoples too.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
China seems to have bet everything on indefinately maintaining an economic growth rate of somewhere between 8% and 10%. Of course, it cannot keep that up forever, despite its hopes. So the question becomes: What will China's people do once they no longer have a rapidly expanding economy to pacify them?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
china seems to have bet everything on indefinately maintaining an economic growth rate of somewhere between 8% and 10%. Of course, it cannot keep that up forever, despite its hopes. So the question becomes: What will china's people do once they no longer have a rapidly expanding economy to pacify them?

viva la revolution!

Paul Krug did an interesting blog post about the China situation a while back in March: Capital Export, Elasticity Pessimism, and the Renminbi (Wonkish).

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I think China has had the boom and is due to bust,i import stuff from China through a trade website and over the last couple of years everything has got cheaper and cheaper so i think they are over producing which will eventually lead to the bust.

Wannabe Yogi

Do you remember the arguments? I am very interested in this topic. How long ago did you read these arguments?

I heard an argument on NPR. China has a huge demographic shift that will have a huge effect on it's economy. The zero birth rate of china is about to end the era of cheap labor. Cheap labor is much harder to find today then in the past. So wages will start to go up. China will have to make changes in it's economy. Nobody knows if this can happen with it's current system of government. It is not a given that China will be able to evolve into a first world economy.

I look back to the mid 80's the covenantal wisdom was that Japan will become the next world power. Americas rust built would spread all over the states. I think the future is just to hard to predict. The 20th century was the American century. Who knows what country if any will be dominate in the 21st.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
How do you think the world will change with China's growing strength?
I'm not an expert on the issue but I do know many, many people in a certain Rhode Island city have lost their jobs because of China's surge in the jewelry supply industry. I've seen enormous growth in China in this sector just in the half decade I've been in business. Other than the vintage stock I buy in the US, almost the entirety of the rest of my inventory comes from China. Their prices simply can't be beat. Anywhere.