• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China demanded removal of Taiwan flag at Olympics

China demanded removal of Taiwan flag at Olympics - Yahoo! News

Olympic organisers said on Thursday that Taiwan's flag had been taken down from a London display at the request of the Chinese embassy.

The banner was removed from a row of national flags hanging over Regent Street, one of London's busiest shopping roads, and replaced on Wednesday with that of Taiwan's Olympic committee.

Games organisers LOCOG said they had advised the Regent Street Association, which represents retailers and is in charge of the display, to remove the Taiwan flag after a complaint from China's embassy.

A sad day indeed. I am sad that the British government keeps on bending over for criminal thugs the world over. We are losing the cultural battle to shariah on the streets of London, now this. There was a time when we could have put the chinese in their place.

If it were up to me the chinese team would be ejected from the games for this arrogant attempt. I proudly display the Tibetan flag in my office at work alongside the American and British flags.

The chinese should stick to feeding their kids poisonous milk and doing what they do best: lying to its own people.

What does this even have to do with "entertainment". If anything, it sounds like you are using the Olympics to grind an axe with the Chinese. I'll bet if the Israeli government whined about Palestinian flags, that there wouldn't even be an article.

Anyhow I'm sorry to have to say that the London Opening Ceremonies paled in comparison to what the world witnessed in Beijing last time around.

Wirey

Fartist
China demanded removal of Taiwan flag at Olympics - Yahoo! News

A sad day indeed. I am sad that the British government keeps on bending over for criminal thugs the world over. We are losing the cultural battle to shariah on the streets of London, now this. There was a time when we could have put the chinese in their place.

If it were up to me the chinese team would be ejected from the games for this arrogant attempt. I proudly display the Tibetan flag in my office at work alongside the American and British flags.

The chinese should stick to feeding their kids poisonous milk and doing what they do best: lying to its own people.

Actually, the British Government has never formally recognized Taiwan as an independent state. Therefore, the Chinese argument that the British are displaying a rebel flag has legal merit in Britain. Whomever put it up in the first place should be canned.

Taiwan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The third paragraph down mentions that only 23 countries recognize Taiwan, and Britain (and the US, and Canada) aren't among them. The Taiwanese flag is as much an insult as could be directed diplomatically.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Everyone knows that Taiwan is a separate country.
The PRC wants to conquer it cheaply.
Someone had the balls to put up their flag.
Give'm a medal.

Wirey

Fartist
Everyone knows that Taiwan is a separate country.
The PRC wants to conquer it cheaply.
Someone had the balls to put up their flag.
Give'm a medal.

Even the Taiwanese don't argue about it. They prefer to avoid direct confrontation. It's a faux pas, although probably a forgivable one. Most people don't realize that they're actually China's version of the Confederates.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'll tell ya, for a couple'a warring countries, at least they're not shedding blood over it.
I hope it stays that way, regardless of whatever status changes there will or won't be.

Even the Taiwanese don't argue about it. They prefer to avoid direct confrontation. It's a faux pas, although probably a forgivable one. Most people don't realize that they're actually China's version of the Confederates.

Technically Taiwan is called the "Republic of China". It's not so much an issue of secession as it is succession. Both countries view themselves as the legitimate government of ALL of China, however there is a small minority in Taiwan that wants to become a separate country.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Actually, the British Government has never formally recognized Taiwan as an independent state. Therefore, the Chinese argument that the British are displaying a rebel flag has legal merit in Britain. Whomever put it up in the first place should be canned.

Taiwan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The third paragraph down mentions that only 23 countries recognize Taiwan, and Britain (and the US, and Canada) aren't among them. The Taiwanese flag is as much an insult as could be directed diplomatically.
The flag was displayed because the Olympic Organizing Committee recognizes Taiwan. They did, after all, invite the country to the games.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Actually, from what I read, it appears the display of flags was put up in a business section in London and wasn't under the direction of the Olympics. Since the requirement for Taiwan to use their Olympic Committee flag was only supposed to be for Olympic events then this particular flag shouldn't have been touched. It wasn't directly involved with the Olympics and the Chinese Embassy shouldn't have had any say in whether or not someone wanted to display it.

The flag was displayed because the Olympic Organizing Committee recognizes Taiwan. They did, after all, invite the country to the games.

Actually that's not true. They recognize an entity called "Chinese Taipei," but not formally Taiwan. The international community commonly employs the term "Chinese Taipei" at the agreement of both the ROC and the People's Republic of China (PRC), commonly known as China, because it affirms ambiguity about the political status of Taiwan, implies that ROC is part of the same "China" under the PRC's control, and does not limit the ROC's implied territorial control to the island of Taiwan.

Again, this goes back to the fact that both countries claim to be the legitimate government of all of China, but most nations recognize only the People's Republic to be such. The legitimacy of the Republic of China is only recognized by 23 nations, mostly in Central America and Africa.

The only Western nation currently recognizing the R.O.C. is the Holy See.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Actually that's not true. They recognize an entity called "Chinese Taipei," but not formally Taiwan. The international community commonly employs the term "Chinese Taipei" at the agreement of both the ROC and the People's Republic of China (PRC), commonly known as China, because it affirms ambiguity about the political status of Taiwan, implies that ROC is part of the same "China" under the PRC's control, and does not limit the ROC's implied territorial control to the island of Taiwan.

Again, this goes back to the fact that both countries claim to be the legitimate government of all of China, but most nations recognize only the People's Republic to be such. The legitimacy of the Republic of China is only recognized by 23 nations, mostly in Central America and Africa.

The only Western nation currently recognizing the R.O.C. is the Holy See.
Point taken.

Did a flag of Taiwan come down but a flag of Chinese Taipei stay up?