• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children as Transgender

Kapalika

Premium Member
Exactly Surgically slapping on a penis or pushing your breast out with silicone does not make you a man or a woman. That's why transgender people at times look and come across as so freakish.

Freakish? Pft such ignorant (and potentially hateful) rhetoric.

You only think that a few are "exceptions" because the vast majority of trans people, you never suspect of being transgender. You only notice the ones still transitioning or that don't pass as well, and only a few passing ever admit to having transitioned.

So you're wrong.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Our true nature or spirit has no gender or sex. Humans are composite beings and our body is the most delusive part.

Being myself convinced of the truth of reincarnation & karma, those explain most of the confusion some children feel regarding their sex or gender. If one was in a male body last lifetime or several in a row, then in this one a female body is the residence, then naturally it feels odd. Part of the purpose of many lifetimes is to gain experience and sympathy for the differing races, cultures & sexes of humanity.

But all one can do is try to follow one's best lights.

You are contradicting yourself. If as you say our true nature is spirit and it's not physical then you can't say that someone is definitely male or female due to genetics. Your original argument was using what you are now calling "delusive".

I see no reason that spirits can't have male or female tendencies. Buddhists have hosts of powerful bodhisattvas who've stayed around after reaching Nirvana and things like Green Tara. Green Tara is female yet devoid of delusion. So what about her?

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
You are contradicting yourself. If as you say our true nature is spirit and it's not physical then you can't say that someone is definitely male or female due to genetics. Your original argument was using what you are now calling "delusive".

I see no reason that spirits can't have male or female tendencies. Buddhists have hosts of powerful bodhisattvas who've stayed around after reaching Nirvana and things like Green Tara. Green Tara is female yet devoid of delusion. So what about her?

There was more written than the supposed contradicting sentence. The next one was " Humans are composite beings and our body is the most delusive part." Without getting too technical, we ordinary folk are made of three parts, body, soul & spirit. The Spirit is the sexless source which emanates the other two. Most of us identify mainly with the visible body and its sensory apparatus. We ignore or deny or disbelieve in our soul & spirit - thus the materialistic delusion.

Bodhisattvas are not ordinary folk, because they do not identify with their appearance. In fact they can change it, Tara can appear male or female or as an animal or be formless.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I thought buddhists were supposed to be agnostic about the nature of selves generally.

The Spirit is the sexless source which emanates the other two. Most of us identify mainly with the visible body and its sensory apparatus. We ignore or deny or disbelieve in our soul & spirit - thus the materialistic delusion.

Sure it doesn't have biological sex but it has gender, in my experience, and can do things very much like sex.

From my experience anyway :D

Bodhisattvas are not ordinary folk, because they do not identify with their appearance. In fact they can change it, Tara can appear male or female or as an animal or be formless.

So if our spirits are not set in a form why does it bother you if someone is female trapped in an XYbody or vice versa?

Shad

Veteran Member
However the body would be a different story. Something that you can't really do much about outside of superficial changes.

Ummm people in general can be very superficial. There are industries, like cosmetics and forms of plastic surgery, which owe their existence to the vanity and superficial based perception common in every culture I can think of. Likewise those that want those changes are just as superficial as those they attempt to appease and their own ideas of what a woman is by conforming to an existing stereotype.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A doctor summarizes reasons not to encourage a child's gender confusion.

http://files.constantcontact.com/6c7b7138001/4a6ed1d2-1238-4765-9a8a-675229033a0d.pdf

I honestly would wait until teens at the earliest. Some children grow up to find they have no gender. Some feel they have both. When I was young, I felt I was a male because I liked women. Then I grew up knowing I am a woman but not strictly by mind. But at childhood, all these things are mish meshed. Parents cant determine how their child would identify later in life. Also, I was told here that h/she (privacy no pun) goes through counseling and other treatments in addition to sex alignment therapy. It's more than just sex alignment.

I wouldn't compare it to illnesses. Changing ones sex isn't detrimental to ones health (good medical team discretion) like refusing cancer treatment. Also, religious views give families the option to deny treatment for natural death.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Gender is an innate sense of self, and in my opinion embedded in the fabric of the 5-Aspect soul between the Drive and Self Aspects.

The physical body (the Physical Aspect in that system) may not always match up with the other parts of the soul due to various issues that are either related to physical processes or (such as in my case) reincarnation of partially intact soul fragments.

I don't think we can say that gender is just physical, or just social... it's as most as us transgender can attest, very much an innate "essence" of self. In my view, our alignment with cosmic directions of "force" that we might say is male or female in the two extremes.

Our bodies are not identical to our selves, it's just a fifth of it, and sometimes aspects can be contrary to the other 4 parts.