• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child support

Maxist

I know a boy, of about the age of twelve who receives $10,000 dollars a month from his father. If his father does not pay for one month, the pay is doubled. The father left the country when the boy was born, and so he was extradited for child support. This has given me mixed feelings about the whole thing. Before hearing about this, I thought that all children should have a set rate of child support. But if you are extradited, you should have to pay more. Any insight?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It would be nice to be able to afford $10,000 a month!
I suspect a lot of men might be a bit envious.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
though i don't know the situation of the child in question i think in the case of deadbeat dads who shrug off their responsibilities, paying back double is a just punishment.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Spent a year in prison for this. My wife turned my kids against me with lies. Married a man that with her and his income were over $100,000 a year. I'd come to town to see them and they would not show up. So I stopped paying. When it got over 5,000 dollars, she went to court and got a felony warrant. I was in Arkansas and fought extradition. They got a Governor's warrant, locked me up for a year,.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I had to pay back support even when I was in prison. Had to pay my ex even when my son was not at home. I could have contested the last, but being in prison, I could not hire a lawyer to do so. Once out, the cost for hiring one would have been greater then to just pay it. I'm still paying back support, which will be FINALLY over in about a year.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One thing I think we might all be able to agree on, is $10,000 a month is just too much. I thought child support was to help with expensise, not provide a source of income to live comfortably off of. I agree that thier should be a set amount per kid, with a sliding scale for people with low incomes.
I don't think extradition should be a cause to pay more money.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
My father was a deadbeat dad...as well as a deadbeat in general.
when he was finally tracked down and extradited we got his entire paycheck for about 6 months and then my mother got 2 checks a month, one for the current childsupport, one for the back child support.

he was a liar, a crook, and an egotist and left my mother to fend for herself on what little income she could bring in.
i think paying a little more for what was due to her, and to us, was more than just.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Shadow Wolf said:
One thing I think we might all be able to agree on, is $10,000 a month is just too much.

i agree. i think, though, i would like to see why the courts ordered such a high child support payment.

evearael

If the child has special needs, or if they live in a prohibitively expensive area, the money may be warranted.

There are plenty of deadbeat biological parents out there (they've lost the title mom or dad, in my eyes), however, it is true there are plenty of extortionists abusing the system. I have personally witnessed more of the former, and nothing makes me angrier than harming a child, which is exactly what these people are doing.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am so sorry to hear so many tales of "I've been there myself.."

In England, the Child Support Agency was chartered to ensure that fathers paid their dues (rules tightened up in 2003)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Parents/YourMoney/YourMoneyArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4003043&chk=2jFRr7

From March 2003 the Child Support Agency began to calculate maintenance in a different way. To begin with, the new scheme has only been introduced for new clients, and for some old scheme cases linked to a new scheme case. Existing cases will be transferred when the government is sure that the new scheme is working well.

Claiming maintenance from someone living abroad

Britain has arrangements with over 100 countries and territories overseas that allow a person living in one jurisdiction to claim maintenance from an ex-partner who lives in another.
For more information, go to the Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders (REMO) website. Alternatively you can contact REMO by phone on 0845 345 5303 (UK only - calls charged at local rate), or by fax on 020 7911 7030. You can also email them at [email protected].

BUT.........the reality of it is that the CSA has to meet targets (Therefore they target fathers who are already paying, and make them pay even more), and apparently, the computer software is so flawed that miscalculations mean that some mothers have received far to much from the state - who now want that paid back.

The system is a farce; and that is a dreadful reflection on bureaucracy......

c0da

The system is a farce; and that is a dreadful reflection on bureaucracy

As are most of the other government social benefits agencies in our country Michel.

This topic is pretty relevant over here in the UK and has been getting a fair bit of publicity because of a group called Fathers For Justice (F4J) but unfortunately they disbanded because of a bad reputation they were picking up from "militant" members, as the press kept describing them.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Here in Iowa, child support is figured by taking both the incomes of the household that the child resides in and the other household and figuring a percentage of both incomes that would be put towards the child. So if the child resides with the mother and the mother makes a large amount the child support for the man will be ordered probably pretty low...in accordance with his income and where it sits in regards to hers. It is figured that if the couple were together the majority of the money put towards the child would come from the one with the most income...so percentages are figured accordingly.

My ex-husband, the father of my first daughter, didn't pay child support and I didn't take him to court for that. He was abusive and insane and I didn't want him a part of our lives anyway...so I had him sign over his parental rights. A thing he was more than willing to do to get out of paying child support. He never had to worry about paying child support and I never had to worry about what may come from him still being connected to our lives. I did quite fine as a single mother anyway.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Maxist said:
This has given me mixed feelings about the whole thing. Before hearing about this, I thought that all children should have a set rate of child support. But if you are extradited, you should have to pay more. Any insight?

Child support is based on the income of the father and mother. There are support calculators online by state that figure out the approximate amounts to be paid. If you are really curious just type in whatever state you live in and child support calculator after that.

Even if a woman does not work...she is assigned a minimum wage amount by the calculator. At least that's how it works for my state of Oregon.

A woman can petition to have support raised every two years.

And Jeff, I am so sorry you had to go through that. I know it's not fair that you have to pay support even if your ex brainwashes the kids against you. That sucks!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm quite aware that many, perhaps most, deadbeat dads are in a position to pay child support, but simply refuse to do so. But I wonder what percentage of deadbeat dads are incapable of paying child support?

This question came to me most recently because a friend of mine is pursuing the father of her two children for child support and back child support. She has high (and I think unrealistic ) hopes that he will be forced to pay up. Unfortunately, the man is about as dysfunctional as they come. The only time he's employed is when he's not suffering from psychosis. And when he's not suffering from psychosis, his income is at or near to minimum wage.

Then, too, I vaugely remember that a few years back, the State of Florida hired a company to round up deadbeat dads and make them pay up. If I recall it correctly, the company discovered that most of the deadbeat dads they could find were barely feeding themselves and keeping a roof over their heads. Although I'm not entirely sure whether it was most, or just a sizeable minority.

Melody

Child support in this country has been very biased against the men. Explain to me why a woman should get half of her ex husband's monthly salary as "child support"? I guarantee you that half of his income did not go to maintaining that child when they were married.

An acquaintance of mine gets more than half of her husband's monthly income as child support. As a result, he's living in some dumpy apartment and taking the bus to work while she sits on her behind in the $200,000 house (which he has to pay the mortgage on until the child is 18) and driving the mercedes she was also given in the divorce settlement.

Yes there are deadbeat dads out there....but did anyone stop to think that some of these "deadbeat" dads couldn't afford the child support the court was ordering?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
When I 1st started paying support, it was figured on my total income, not figuring in my road expenses. She threatened to not let me see them if I didn't give her even more, so I did. Paid her $55 a week more. Some weeks that left me only $20 or $30 dollars after taxes, expenses and support. When I stopped paying and was taken to court I told the judge I paid $55 a week more then was ordered for..

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
for over 5 years. The judge told me that was a 'gift' and would not count against the money I back owed. And the wierd part is they didn't come bye get me until I was working again and started paying her back. Go figure.

turk179

I smell something....
I was ordered to pay $324.00 a month from N.Y. Because I didn't find out that I had a daughter until a year after she was born (long story) I had to pay back support for that year which was $200 dollars more a month. Which was a total of $524.00 dollars a month. Not that big of a deal because at the time I was pulling in about $2,000 a month. It took me a few years to be able to pay the back amount and after that it was a reasonable amount. When I moved to Florida I took about $1000 dollar pay cut. Things became a little tight. I applied for a reduction in my child support and they increased it to $364 instead. After the hurricanes hit Florida, the factory that I worked in was destroyed which left me out of work which made back child support again:eek:. I was still paying back child support when I moved to Iowa and I have been out of a job almost the entire time I have been here. I finally have a job (still waiting to start) and when the paychecks start rolling in, $564 of it will be going to child support. I have been paying child support for over 10 years without a problem but when you call N.Y. child support they treat you like you are the scum of the earth. They questioned my morals for not paying and told me the longer I go without income the higher the back support I would owe. Like I wanted my plant to be destroyed by a hurricane and I wanted to worry about where I would get my next meal. I have always been responsible paying child support until now and you would think that they could have a better attitude toward the fathers instead of just treating them all like dead beats. Sometimes real issues do come up.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The odd thing is that in many states, a woman can designate you the father of her child, and if you don't challenge it within the alloted time, you loose any right to challenge it later. You then owe that child support until he or she is 18. So, I've been encouraging my female friends to name Bill Gates the father of their children, in the hope that he won't notice until it's too late for him to challenge it.